The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2021, 05:40 PM   #1
hodag

Mounting an Automatic Column in a 1949 3100

I am wondering how everyone with Automatic Steering columns, what did you do to the floor to get the transmission arm on the bottom of the column through the floor. I mean what is the most common way you did it. I know it involves cutting the floor. I just want to see how you guys did before I go OOPS!
Old 12-20-2021, 10:31 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: Mounting an Automatic Column in a 1949 3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodag View Post
I am wondering how everyone with Automatic Steering columns, what did you do to the floor to get the transmission arm on the bottom of the column through the floor. I mean what is the most common way you did it. I know it involves cutting the floor. I just want to see how you guys did before I go OOPS!

cut the hole so it goes through, then make a two piece plate that covers the hole from each side and screws down, i usually incorporate the lower steering column mount in it too. on a few I have used the chunk of firewall from the column donor, but I find the column doesnt always match up in length

I will be doing it here in a couple days, give me some time and I will have a few pics.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 10:55 PM   #3
olcarguy

I'm going to be watching this one for sure joedoh...Good luck with your build hodag
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 12:04 AM   #4
mr48chev

Some columns came with a plate with gasket/seal that was on the column and vcovered the hole that the shift arm needed to go through the firewall.

Similar to this one out of a 71/72 Monte Carlo that I snagged the photos off the net a minute ago rather than go out and freeze while digging in the shed in the dark.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 10:07 AM   #5
hodag

Yes I got that part, but is there a way to get the Shift arm on the S10 steering column through the original hole on a 1949 3100 without cutting the hole? Or if you do cut the hole, how many inches is the cut, on what side of the hole. Is there anyone who has made two cuts and bent the metal on the floor for the Shift arm to get through and then bend it back up? I just want to do it once. Thanks for the interest.
Old 12-22-2021, 11:33 PM   #6
joedoh

i think the easy answer to your question is no.

even the column mr 48 showed has very little chance of matching up to the floor pan without cutting it off and modifying it.

If you put it through the stock steering hole, its going to be offset between the gauges the same amount the stock column is, which can be trouble for clearance on any V shaped engine install (V6, V8). better to move it over, make a new hole, trim the firewall mount off the column and make a new one.

in my opinion anyway. someone will undoubtedly reply with a post showing how to do exactly what you are asking because all it takes for me to be wrong is to state something with absolute certainty.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 11:34 PM   #7
edgeleycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodag View Post
Yes I got that part, but is there a way to get the Shift arm on the S10 steering column through the original hole on a 1949 3100 without cutting the hole? Or if you do cut the hole, how many inches is the cut, on what side of the hole. Is there anyone who has made two cuts and bent the metal on the floor for the Shift arm to get through and then bend it back up? I just want to do it once. Thanks for the interest.
I disassembled my donor column to get it through my floorboard.
However before I did that I did briefly considered cutting the shift tab off in such a way that once the column was in place you could refasten the shift tab by overlapping and using a couple of small bolts. It would likely require making a new tab to provide enough length for an overlapping connection. Just an option to consider.
I think one of the high-end hotrod column manufacturers make one similar in order to clock the shift tab to where it is needed.
edgeleycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote