The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2021, 06:53 PM   #1
Thealien

Reservoir mounted windshield washer pump.

The windshield wiper motor in my 4 x 4 Blazer stopped working. I don’t trust any of the remanufactured or made in China ones so I installed a Newport engineering wiper motor with their two speed switch with delay. Except for their lousy instructions I’m happy with the wiper motor but it does not have a pump on it like OEM.

I don’t like most of the pumps that get mounted somewhere else, I find them to be pretty noisy. I would like to mount a pump into the factory Reservoir. Have any of you done this? Any recommendations for a pump that would install into our reservoirs and work well?

Thanks
Mark
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 08:02 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Reservoir mounted windshield washer pump.

Pumps mounted on reservoirs are normally mounted on reservoirs specifically designed for that purpose. You could mount an aftermarket pump near your reservoir, but that would involve actually mounting the pump to your sheet metal somewhere.

I used an S10 pump and reservoir and I'm really happy with the setup. I don't notice a lot of noise from it and it works really well.
Old 12-24-2021, 09:18 PM   #3
Greasey Harley

The pump I just installed in my Wrangler requires a 20mm hole in the bottom of the tank. You may need to notch the support bracket under your tank to make it fit. There are probably others that will work. I just happened to install one of these last week, so it's fresh in my head.
Old 12-25-2021, 03:50 AM   #4
Richard

One of the forum sellers was offering a conversion for this. Maybe PICKMUP? Wes if IIRC, maybe Frank? On my list to contact him and ask as I want to do this myself.
edit- A little searching turned up this https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ghlight=washer no idea if he is still selling the conversion. Merry Christmas to you and everyone else on this forum!

Last edited by Richard; 12-25-2021 at 04:18 AM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 06:56 AM   #5
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
One of the forum sellers was offering a conversion for this. Maybe PICKMUP? Wes if IIRC, maybe Frank? On my list to contact him and ask as I want to do this myself.
edit- A little searching turned up this https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ghlight=washer no idea if he is still selling the conversion. Merry Christmas to you and everyone else on this forum!
I bought one of those about a year ago. I just went to install it last week. It was kind of loud and leaks and does not mount on the reservoir. Thank you for the suggestion though. And merry Christmas to you too sir.
Old 12-25-2021, 09:08 AM   #6
52napco

I would take a walk through the local pick a part/junkyard
And find the easiest one to work..would be easy enough to
drill a hole and silicone a good one in...And I'm like you STAY
AWAY FROM CHINESE CRAP
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 09:25 AM   #7
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52napco View Post
I would take a walk through the local pick a part/junkyard
And find the easiest one to work..would be easy enough to
drill a hole and silicone a good one in...And I'm like you STAY
AWAY FROM CHINESE CRAP
Many years ago I could do that. But I live about 20 miles south of Boston in a large city. All the junkyards around here pull the parts ahead of time you go to the counter and ask for it. There’s no more wandering around any of the junkyards within 50 miles of me. On top of that I take care of my 93-year-old father with Alzheimer’s and dementia and it’s difficult for me to get away for more than a couple hours at a time and most of the time those couple hours are running errands for him.
Old 12-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #8
52napco

We're dealing with the same issue with my mother in law so I can relate
I looked at the Newport website and saw no mention of made in USA
so I emailed them to see where they're actually made..hope it's not China
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 11:08 AM   #9
Accelo

I agree with the China stuff. They can make good stuff but typically the goal is just less expensive. For instance the fuel pump I just purchased that ran backwards because it was assembled incorrectly. I sometimes shop Ebay instead of the junk yards.
So some options:

Price is $3 and $10 shipping.
OEM Windshield Washer Pump for BUICK CHEVY GMC PONTIAC
2 product ratings.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11515135906...temCondition=4

Price is $49.49 free shipping.
91-95 Jeep Wrangler YJ Windshield Washer Fluid Reservoir Bottle 1 Single Pump OE.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/15475066991...temCondition=4
It appears this may retrofit to the stock bottle?

I recommend looking around Fleabay. You may find something that would work for you.
The Jeep bottle is pictured below;
Attached Images

Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 11:52 AM   #10
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52napco View Post
We're dealing with the same issue with my mother in law so I can relate
I looked at the Newport website and saw no mention of made in USA
so I emailed them to see where they're actually made..hope it's not China
We make so little in this country anymore I doubt that it’s not made in China. But all the reviews of all the rebuilt OEM wiper motors I have seen are not good. I have heard a few good reviews from Newport engineering so I hope I do not have to replace it within a year..

It looks like they re-purpose a newer wiper motor to fit into our trucks. I have even looked into having my original wiper motor restored and I’m getting prices up to $300. But even restored it’s a 50 year old motor.
Old 12-25-2021, 12:25 PM   #11
Lee H

An alternate approach for washer? I used a reservoir and pump from a mid 90s chevy pickup. Easy to find, mount, quiet, and cost effective.
Attached Images

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 01:57 PM   #12
chewychevy67

Exclamation Re: Reservoir mounted windshield washer pump.

I added one from. A 80s chevy car on my original style container. Worked nice and you can't notice it on when mounted. It has a screen inside of the tank to keep the pump clean. I added a light that shows when the bottle is almost empty because with this pump it doesn't take too long to empty the small factory container.
Attached Images

chewychevy67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 04:07 PM   #13
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewychevy67 View Post
I added one from. A 80s chevy car on my original style container. Worked nice and you can't notice it on when mounted. It has a screen inside of the tank to keep the pump clean. I added a light that shows when the bottle is almost empty because with this pump it doesn't take too long to empty the small factory container.
That’s what I’m trying to do.

Thanks
Old 12-25-2021, 04:21 PM   #14
truckster

Here's the S10 tank I was talking about. You can see it fits like it was made to go there.

I also used spray nozzles from a 2001 Chevy van. The wiper arms are wider on those, so you have to heat the plastic nozzle in boiling water and then gently squeeze them with pliers until they're the right size to fit your washer arms. It gives a much more uniform spray.

And, yes, that's a yellow jacket right below the wiper. It's Christmas day, so I don't know where that came from, but it gave me flashbacks to the story I told on the forum earlier:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...yellow+jackets
Attached Images