The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2021, 08:16 AM   #1
Farm Shpp

Mounting hub caps

Good morning, I am looking at buying a set of either 15x8 or 15x10 steel wheels for my 70 c10 lwb. I can’t quite find the backspace specs I’m looking for in an o.e. Repop but I came across several people running stock c10 caps on us wheel rat rod series wheels which I can get in the correct back space

I called us wheel to order and they told me they have to install clips for hubcaps at time of order but will only do it if you buy the caps from them… which I don’t want.

Has anyone installed a set of clips to mount factory caps or had a set of us wheels with their hub caps?

Thanks
Farm Shpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:47 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Mounting hub caps

i'm unaware of those wheels or why they need clips. Tell us more about your truck, 1/2t or 3/4t, 67/68 or 69-70. The only OEM style wheels and hubcaps that use clips are 67/68 3/4t. All the others use nubs that are part of the wheel. This style wheel is available frpm Wheel Vintiques and the only hubcaps available are OEM. No one reproduces those at this point. I do know that there are aftermarket custom steel wheels offered in wider widths known as "smoothies" that traditionally had either small inner nubs that are part of the wheel or no nubs at all. The ones with tiny inner nubs accepted baby moons made for smoothies. Wheel Vintiques began make car-style rallye wheel replicas that used the same diameter and inner nubs to accept factory style center caps, not hubcaps. But as time has passed they began offering other style of center caps for either smoothies or rallye wheels. Then, even later, a few slect replica OEM stle caps from the '50s. Like I said, need more info on what you are looking for and for which GM truck

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:13 AM   #3
Farm Shpp

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
i'm unaware of those wheels or why they need clips. Tell us more about your truck, 1/2t or 3/4t, 67/68 or 69-70. The only OEM style wheels and hubcaps that use clips are 67/68 3/4t. All the others use nubs that are part of the wheel. This style wheel is available frpm Wheel Vintiques and the only hubcaps available are OEM. No one reproduces those at this point. I do know that there are aftermarket custom steel wheels offered in wider widths known as "smoothies" that traditionally had either small inner nubs that are part of the wheel or no nubs at all. The ones with tiny inner nubs accepted baby moons made for smoothies. Wheel Vintiques began make car-style rallye wheel replicas that used the same diameter and inner nubs to accept factory style center caps, not hubcaps. But as time has passed they began offering other style of center caps for either smoothies or rallye wheels. Then, even later, a few slect replica OEM stle caps from the '50s. Like I said, need more info on what you are looking for and for which GM truck
My truck is a 1970 1/2 ton with 6 bolt axles. I was looking at the wheel Vintique rims. But in a 15 x 8 they are in 4.25 backspace and I’m not sure if that would work or not. And also I prefer the look of around a 3.75 backspace which I believe was factory. And yes the US wheel rims are considered smoothies so they don’t have the knobs for mounting caps. But they are able to mount clips to mount their style Babymoon‘s but I am unsure if the stock caps would fit those clips
Old 12-30-2021, 01:38 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Original caps won't work. Totally different animal. I believe you can make them work with mounting clips that I believe maybe Brothers sells. I've never done this but maybe someone who knows more can help.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 12-30-2021, 02:21 PM   #5
Farm Shpp

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Original caps won't work. Totally different animal. I believe you can make them work with mounting clips that I believe maybe Brothers sells. I've never done this but maybe someone who knows more can help.
Thank you I appreciate that. I would love to see what other people are running for a wider than stock but OE looking wheels with factory caps. Also here’s a picture of my truck as it sits now. Never loved the wheels but that’s what was on there when I bought it

https://share.icloud.com/photos/081-...dOolBCGOjtqoHw
Old 01-01-2022, 11:03 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

I found 8" Kelsey-Hayes wheels back before Anyone even thought about making reproductions. Mine are 5-lug. The options used to be Pete Paulsen, Stockton Wheel, or local wheel widener such as dirt trackers used to use. Wheel Vintiques missed the mark on both the 15 x 8s and 16 x8 8-luggers. Wrong backspace for 6-lug C/10s and no vent slots for 16s. My buddy calls my 16" wheels skid loader wheels . He spent 4x as much having custom 17 x 9s (for a K/20) out of factory 8-lug wheels. I've been asked to share that info but he hasn't given me that and he's hard to get ahold of. Sorry. But there are custom wheel builders out there that can build about anything you want. As the saying goes, "We can do anything, but it won't be cheap"

Tim

Old 01-01-2022, 02:02 PM   #7
Farm Shpp

Stockton is on my list to call this week. Talked to wheel vintiques and they were very helpful on the phone. Would definitely have to special order backspace though. And they are out 15 weeks on most orders now.

I have stock 12” front drums and unless a 15” rim will clear the tie rod end to the outside which looks like it would be tight it looks like 3.25 backspace will be minimum with 3” being better. Here is a couple pics. I have a 2”spacer on currently so measurement is minus 2”

I’m thinking a 15x8 with 3” backspace would be perfect. And I believe that was a factory wide wheel option if I’m not mistaken.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/027S...sbQheY-tCoPEKQ

https://share.icloud.com/photos/009L...fF_oqZMRqGqz9w