The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2022, 11:43 AM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Kit vs by hand frame shortening

I like the idea of the Brothers frame shortening kit, but the price is substantial at almost 500 bucks.

Im not a good enough welder to do a complete frame shortening without a kit. But I could do the correct cut and tack it enough to get it to a certified welder not using the kit.

Last time I took something to a welder it was a work van I wanted some rails put in so I could attach tie downs to hold copiers in place while I delivered them. Now this particular place is all about custom welding, from racks to drawer systems for work trucks. Although it was an easy job with no weird welding angles he declined. He told me it was a safety issue. I figured he just didn't want to do it, which was weird because it was an easy money job.

I know we have some pro welders out there, just wondering if this is a job you would do, or would you pass because of safety concerns? I feel like the cost to have this welded up right and have a fish plate put in would be much less than 500 bucks, especially if you brought the bare frame in already cut and tacked.

This is something a buddy and I are mulling over on a truck he is building.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:15 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Kit vs by hand frame shortening

-
On my '70 frame I did it myself without a kit. I used the instructions posted by member "glock35ipsc" here.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=123624

It worked good and I feel really confident in the strength of the modification.

I have another bare frame that I think I am going to do even though I sold the cab and bed off of it. It's a pretty nice frame. I bought this kit and it looks pretty good to me and the instructions are adequate. I haven't installed it yet though.

https://www.longshotfab.com/collections/all

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 02-13-2022 at 12:34 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 02:21 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I said in another thread I like home made biscuits over biscuits in a tube. I feel the same about using a 'kit'. 9x out of 10, when I have dealt with anything pre-fab I have felt it was no less work by the time I made their poor quality work. If you keep the labor down and the job simple, by doing it how you described, I don't know how you could go wrong. If the shop won't touch it, maybe you could find a mobile welder to slip over one day

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 02:23 PM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I believe the Brothers kit is cut and bolt with basic tack welding, no problem for me except the price.

The board link you posted is perfect except Im not a good enough welder to pull that off and feel like its a safe job.

The other kit you posted is a good template/weld kit. I guess I would have to take that to a welder and see if they would do it. Finding a welder that will weld a frame is my downfall. No one wants the liability. And of course we are trying to save money where we can =)
Old 02-13-2022, 03:13 PM   #5
BigBird05

I did mine without a kit. I was just careful with measuring it. I am not a welder by trade but felt that with a reinforcement plate welded on the inside of the frame I would be OK. As far as liability I wouldn't weld a frame for anyone but myself. P.S. as luck would have in about 4 months after I shortened my frame I found and bought a SWB frame for only $200.00.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:58 PM   #6
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Buying a different frame to slide under the project is a no go. The popularity of these trucks has brought more scrutiny when it comes to showing ownership via the correct paperwork. So unless it was a frame that he had title to its not happening. And to be honest I wouldn't even do it that way because of a sale I missed even though I had the correct paper work for all, frame and cab mismatched.

Im aware its not like that in all parts of the states (yet), but I live here and I prefer to be all matchy match haha.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:39 PM   #7
firedemon

if i lived closer id weld it for you . must be a member here that would be willing to help close to you
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:55 PM   #8
kwmech

I was doing this type of work before kits became available. I have no problem stretching a frame or shortening one.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:13 PM   #9
chiefcfd

Maybe find a local car or truck club nearby. You would be surprised what talents are in these clubs. Maybe someone there could help you.
chiefcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:04 AM   #10
SCOTI

Nobody has mentioned it but there are other options vs. just Brothers for a kit that helps the DIY guys....

1st option for me would be :
https://www.metaloxfab.com/

Another I've seen:
https://www.longshotfab.com/products...bed-conversion

And there's the really budget approach:
https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=803496
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:39 AM   #11
Big Kev-O

I used the brother kit because I did it by myself with the cab on the frame, and brother was having a 25% off sale. I'm sure I could have managed without the kit but the kit made relocating the cab mounts and lining up the frame super easy. If you don't use the kit you can purchase a Classic Performance CLP-6372RFS frame stiffiner (mentioned in the thread above)which is basicly the same part that comes in the kit without the pre-drilled holes.

With the kit you just make a vertical cut. If I was able to remove the cab I would have performed a different type of cut and used the frame stiffeners. If the cab is off you can perform a step cut. '----,
Attached Images

Last edited by Big Kev-O; 02-14-2022 at 11:47 AM.
Big Kev-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 12:42 PM   #12
SCOTI

I did the step-cut/Z method as well for the '68 frame under my '64. I even had the frame stiffeners @Big Kev-O linked but didn't use them since I was already doing other reinforcements.

I like the kits I listed for the reason of having the guide holes to help validate dimensions & alignment for the DIY guy. Since they also allow bolting things together first, one can technically DIY @ one location & get the finished welding done elsewhere that there is a welder/machine.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 02-14-2022, 02:12 PM   #13
tutone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I like the idea of the Brothers frame shortening kit, but the price is substantial at almost 500 bucks.

Im not a good enough welder to do a complete frame shortening without a kit. But I could do the correct cut and tack it enough to get it to a certified welder not using the kit.

Last time I took something to a welder it was a work van I wanted some rails put in so I could attach tie downs to hold copiers in place while I delivered them. Now this particular place is all about custom welding, from racks to drawer systems for work trucks. Although it was an easy job with no weird welding angles he declined. He told me it was a safety issue. I figured he just didn't want to do it, which was weird because it was an easy money job.

I know we have some pro welders out there, just wondering if this is a job you would do, or would you pass because of safety concerns? I feel like the cost to have this welded up right and have a fish plate put in would be much less than 500 bucks, especially if you brought the bare frame in already cut and tacked.

This is something a buddy and I are mulling over on a truck he is building.
Use the kit if you feel safer. Don't fret the measurement though, 12" out of the middle and move your cab mounts back 12" and thats about the sum of it. Now to your secondary concern, the welding. I feel like I am a qualified welder having once been certified, but not everyone feels that they are. I make a good pen weld and follow it up with frame stiffeners inside the frame and for good measure, drill a couple of holes on either side of my weld, whether I straight weld or step weld. Then I get on the inside of frame and stitch the stiffener in. I have done several and none have ever came apart or cracked. Most semi tractors and all limosines have welded frames and we meet the semis on the hiway under way more stress than we will ever put on our pickups and we send our sons and daughters out to proms in the limos without a thought. I will allow however, on the 4x4 I am building, I took a few more pains in case it ever got excessive frame twist due to off roading adventures later on.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 02:40 PM   #14
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefcfd View Post
Maybe find a local car or truck club nearby. You would be surprised what talents are in these clubs. Maybe someone there could help you.
This is a great response.
Old 02-14-2022, 04:01 PM   #15
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I did the step-cut/Z method as well for the '68 frame under my '64. I even had the frame stiffeners @Big Kev-O linked but didn't use them since I was already doing other reinforcements.

I like the kits I listed for the reason of having the guide holes to help validate dimensions & alignment for the DIY guy. Since they also allow bolting things together first, one can technically DIY @ one location & get the finished welding done elsewhere that there is a welder/machine.
On my 69 I too did my own. I found several examples of what others did on here, utilizing the Z-Cut method, then welded that all up then added a plate after that. Worked great, but took some time to measure, measure and measure.... It was not too hard and i can sort of weld. i myself would not hesitate to do the Brothers kit, bolt it all together and take it to someone to weld up after, that is just me.
Please post any questions and as i am sure others besides myself will try to help.
Good Luck!!
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:16 PM   #16
LS short box

If you decide to weld it your self buy some scrap metal the same thickness so you can dial in the heat and wire speed. Then practice, practice, practice.
If you can instead of welding vertical tip the frame up so you can weld horizontal.
LS short box is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:24 PM   #17
Jason Banks

I did the Z method like LocDoc mentions above.

I used the pieces I cut out to make some test welds before doing the real thing!

I had the marks on the frame where to cut for a longtime before finally cutting it...
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:19 PM   #18
Peanut74

I used the Brothers kits and liked it. I liked the idea of everything being being laid out and guided when making the cut and drilling holes. Bolted it all together and then had the son inlaw weld it up for. Time wise it was a lot faster for me than laying it all and making the cuts and such.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
1976 Chevy short bed with a 327 and 3 on the tree (Sold it to buy the Blazer)
1971 Chevy Blazer (Sold it)
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:35 PM   #19
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I have a nice welder I just haven’t bothered to get in to it much. I have a couple extra frames maybe I’ll play with them some and see how it works out for us. We aren’t in any sort of hurry. I was thinking about getting more in to welding when I went in to full on retirement at the end of the year.

Miller Matic 211 Auto Set with MVP

I also got a spool gun with it.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:55 PM   #20
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I have a nice welder I just haven’t bothered to get in to it much. I have a couple extra frames maybe I’ll play with them some and see how it works out for us. We aren’t in any sort of hurry. I was thinking about getting more in to welding when I went in to full on retirement at the end of the year.

Miller Matic 211 Auto Set with MVP

I also got a spool gun with it.
Sounds like a decent set-up.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-15-2022, 12:02 AM   #21
Getter-Done

That set up will work.
I just purchased a long bed frame this weekend.
I will try to trace you a temple.
The info is all over the Net.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 06:08 PM   #22
LS short box

I have the same welder. 120 volt and 220 volt capable. I would practice with .35 wire on 220 volt.
LS short box is online now   Reply With Quote