The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1973-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2003, 10:39 AM   #1
Deelli

Gas tank from 1987 pickup

I need a gas tank from a TBI truck to convert my 1980 C10 to TBI, or an alternative way to do this. I was told I could use the tank from an 87. My fuel door is on the passenger side. Thanks
Deelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 09:43 PM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

You can use an electric pump mount on the frame. Just add a pressure regulator for about 15 PSI and your good to go.
Checkout www.summitracing.com or www.jegs.com for fuel pumps.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:49 AM   #3
fluval303

I'm doing the same thing

I'm swapping in a 350 tbi/700r4 from an 89 suburban to my 82 swb c-10. I'm looking for a junkyard priced solution in a frame mounted pump.. the c-10 has 1 good 16gallon saddle tank. i'll replace the bad right side and hopefully use the tank switch valve and get use of both tanks...

anyone know of a good choice?? i heard that the f150 pump is an inline/frame mount unit. 15lbs shouldn't be hard to get. put it between the selector valve and the injectors.

my other idea is to see if the sending unit from the 40gallon burban tank will fit and use the stock in-tank pump. I know the hole is the same size... might fit?? but no baffles in tank... what if the sending unit is shorter?? extend pickup??

I guess i can chrome the 40 gallon burban tank....mount it in the bed... surround it with diamond plate...with an acrylic window in the top...put a neon light in it... call it a custom "long cruise" tank.

oops... forgot the junkyard budget..

i need a cheap pump solution

any ideas?? anyone have a pair of 87 saddle tanks w/sending units laying around??

Thanks
fluval
fluval303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 01:06 PM   #4
rolson1039

Re: I'm doing the same thing

Quote:
Originally posted by fluval303

i heard that the f150 pump is an inline/frame mount unit. 15lbs shouldn't be hard to get. put it between the selector valve and the injectors.
My old F 250 had the set up youre talking about but you also had pumps inside those tanks which were attached to the float assembly. I dont know if the rail pump would work wihout the in tank pumps ( at least from a Ford) id say go to Auto Zone and see if they have a pump for ya
Old 03-23-2004, 03:57 PM   #5
ALASKA ALUMINUM BEAR

FUEL TANKS FUEL PUMPS

HI FOLKS

YOU CAN GO TO ANY JUNK YARD AND GET A PUMP AND A TANK-----AND IT WOULD WOULD BE BETTER FOR YOUR APPLICATION IF YOU GOT A SYSTEM TANK AND PUMP.....

I DID NOT UNDERSTAND IF YOUR USING 2 TANKS OR NOT OR JUST WANT TO---IF YOU DO EACH TANK MUST HAVE IT'S OWN PUMP.....IF YOUR USING FUEL INJECTION OF ANYTYPE YOU HAVE TO USE A INTANK PUMP AND NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU TRY TO MAKEA FRAME PUMP WORK IT NEVER WILL.....I MADE THE MISTAKE OF TRYING TO USE A OUTSIDE PUMP AND NEVER WAS ABLE TO HOLD FUEL PRESURE....NOT UNTILL I MOUNTED THE PUMP IN THE TANK------86-BURB---40 GALLON TANK-----

I DO CARRY A OUT SIDE OF THE TANK PUMP WITH ME SHOULD I BE OUT AND HAVE THE TANK PUMP QUIT......

BUT NOT UNTILL I PUT THE PUMP IN THE TANK--- DID I OR COULD I EVER GET THE RITE FUEL PRESURRE---WITH ANY TYPE OF REGULATOR.....OR PUMP----AND I WENT THROUGH 3 TYPES OF FRAME PUMPS--INCLUDING THE FORD PUMP....

ANYWAY I HOPE THIS HELPS ALITTLE----BY THE WAY THE HOLLEY AFTERMARKET--INTANK FUEL PUMP---IS NOT THAT SPENDY-----A INTAKE FUEL PUMP AT THE JUNK YARDS---IS AROUND 65-BUCKS--AND YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN THEY WILL QUIT......AND THE HOLLEY YOU CAN GET WITH A DISCOUNT FOR ABOUT---85 DOLLARS.....AND LASTS---100,000 MILES.....

GOOD LUCK---AS THIS WAS A BIG PROBLEM FOR US WITH OUR SUBURBAN...

THE ALASKAN ALUMINUM BEAR....
ALASKA ALUMINUM BEAR is offline   Reply With Quote