The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2022, 11:27 PM   #1
Jim Boy

Question I need some help with the headlights.

I installed the heavy-duty light harness from LMC.(could have been a bit longer as wire doesn't stretch) and when I turn the lights on they both appear on the yellowish side, more so on the passenger side. I am just taking a stab at the problem but leaning toward bad grounds even though all three are newly drilled so contact should be ok. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as it is friggin cold out there. Going directly to the problem would save frostbite from setting in. I hope your day is trucking along just fine and the sun is shining. Thanks in advance. Ron
Jim Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 11:42 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: I need some help with the headlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boy View Post
I installed the heavy-duty light harness from LMC.(could have been a bit longer as wire doesn't stretch) and when I turn the lights on they both appear on the yellowish side, more so on the passenger side. I am just taking a stab at the problem but leaning toward bad grounds even though all three are newly drilled so contact should be ok. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as it is friggin cold out there. Going directly to the problem would save frostbite from setting in. I hope your day is trucking along just fine and the sun is shining. Thanks in advance. Ron

I'm not familiar with the LMC harness. Does the new harness use the headlight relays in the system?

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:10 AM   #3
Sheepdip

Quick test for a bad/poor ground is to run a ground wire with proper clips from your battery ground post to your grounding connection, if it rectifies the problem it's a grounding issue.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:21 AM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I'm not familiar with the LMC harness. Does the new harness use the headlight relays in the system?

LockDoc
Yes they do, or at least mine had them as part o the system.

And I agree, I would have liked another inch on the wire length. It was tight, but it was long enough.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 10:48 AM   #5
Jim Boy

LockDoc thanks for the reply. The harness came with the relays as Palf70Step replied in his answer. I'll try with the direct ground as Sheepdip suggested. Just maybe something might be simple in my life for a change. Thanks all and have a nice day. Be good as He's comin eh!
Old 11-26-2022, 02:15 PM   #6
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Make sure your core support has a good ground to the frame/battery. Folks tend to remember about grounds everywhere but somehow overlook the coor support.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 03:59 PM   #7
Jim Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Make sure your core support has a good ground to the frame/battery. Folks tend to remember about grounds everywhere but somehow overlook the coor support.
The coor in core support is probably the reason for the lack of professionalism Ha. That's a good point as when the truck was painted it was done in pieces, so the painter covered everything really well including bolt holes. I just got back from shopping as I do have to eat, but I'll make sure to check the grounding out. If one didn't have to maintain a certain level of health and tidiness what would we ever do with all that spare time on our hands eh? Have a good one.
Old 11-27-2022, 05:16 PM   #8
Jim Boy

Zee problemo is fixed, and the problem was me. I did the ground check and went over everything a thousand times and finally it dawned on me. It was the dielectric grease that I used. In my growing up part of life more was better. More chickens net more eggs, more cows net more milk so naturally I applied that to the connectors. WRONG, as the grease is a nonconductive substance, so I was killing the power and I guess the grounding process by smearing the stuff on like chocolate icing. Learned my lesson. Go cheap on the grease and put your bucks into chrome. Now to tackle a night drive, spooky eh! Thanks for the encouragement as it spurred me on.
Old 11-27-2022, 06:48 PM   #9
BAD1916

Glad you figured it out. My coworker always says” if a little is good more is better”😂
BAD1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:56 PM   #10
Sheepdip

The real lesson here is you found it, rectified it, and learned not to repeat the mistake in the future.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:19 PM   #11
Jim Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
The real lesson here is you found it, rectified it, and learned not to repeat the mistake in the future.
I hope so but I have heard of folks taking a nap and upon wakening have to be retrained. I'm just saying things happen.
Old 11-27-2022, 07:31 PM   #12
72SB

OP

Good you figured it out. I also put in the LMC headlight harness and for me it was plug and play. I had no issues with the length of any wires. My truck has also been painted and all panels, core support, fenders, etc were pulled and painted. I use star washers for the ground connection points on the core support for each of the head lights

If your headlights are the stock ones (3200k) they will be "brighter" as will all your lights as the 12v load for the headlights is now off the switch.

If you want a "whiter" headlight, get the Silverstar Halogen in the 5600k version. Most auto part stores carry them and of course Amazon
Attached Images

72SB is offline   Reply With Quote