The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2023, 07:22 AM   #1
chrismoore701

Apple tracker

Anybody use those apple tracker coin looking deals to keep in your truck for just in case?

Seems like a good way to track your care in case someone decides to steal it

thoughts?
2018 Chevy Silverado, 39 years apart
My build 2008-2016. http://m.imgur.com/a/bURrE
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 09:14 AM   #2
TKCR

Re: Apple tracker

There was a reason why I didn’t choose the Apple Tracker, just can’t remember exactly why. I looked into trackers for my truck also, and I got the Invoxia GPS. Got it off Amazon. Its hidden and It will alert me as soon as the truck moves. And of course it will track it from there. It’s parked in the garage at all times, but it’s more for when we take it somewhere, a show or something.
It took seeing too many stories of trucks being stolen to make me finally get one. It was the truck that was stolen right here in Ohio at the Good Guys. That would be such a sickening feeling to come out from the Hotel and find your vehicle stolen. Best of my knowledge, even though it was blasted all over the news & social media to keep a look out, they never did find it. At least with a tracker, they can follow it and find it quickly.
Invoxia Real Time GPS Tracker with 2 Year Subscription NO FEES — For Vehicles, Cars, Motorcycles, Bikes, Kids — Battery 120 Hours (moving) to 4 Months (stationary) — Anti-Theft Alerts https://a.co/d/1xceuPq

Last edited by TKCR; 04-27-2023 at 09:24 AM.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 07:27 AM   #3
chrismoore701

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
There was a reason why I didn’t choose the Apple Tracker, just can’t remember exactly why. I looked into trackers for my truck also, and I got the Invoxia GPS. Got it off Amazon. Its hidden and It will alert me as soon as the truck moves. And of course it will track it from there. It’s parked in the garage at all times, but it’s more for when we take it somewhere, a show or something.
It took seeing too many stories of trucks being stolen to make me finally get one. It was the truck that was stolen right here in Ohio at the Good Guys. That would be such a sickening feeling to come out from the Hotel and find your vehicle stolen. Best of my knowledge, even though it was blasted all over the news & social media to keep a look out, they never did find it. At least with a tracker, they can follow it and find it quickly.
Invoxia Real Time GPS Tracker with 2 Year Subscription NO FEES — For Vehicles, Cars, Motorcycles, Bikes, Kids — Battery 120 Hours (moving) to 4 Months (stationary) — Anti-Theft Alerts https://a.co/d/1xceuPq

So it looks like you have to have a subscription that is $3.33 a month, that correct?
2018 Chevy Silverado, 39 years apart
My build 2008-2016. http://m.imgur.com/a/bURrE
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:19 AM   #4
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post
So it looks like you have to have a subscription that is $3.33 a month, that correct?
I believe it says the first 2 years is free. Im not paying for any subscription. Not sure that is even necessary even after the free period. It will be me that would track it on my phone. But once my 2 years is up, I guess I’ll find out, lol. If I do, I’ll just pay for the entire year.
Old 04-27-2023, 08:13 PM   #5
HOGDADDY

I bought one (Apple Airtag) recently and like being able to track my truck just in case. The battery is supposed to last a long time and I think it alerts when needing replaced.
No subscription needed either. It works with the Apple app "Find my".

It will alert you on IPhone if it moves.
Cheap insurance IMHO.

I plan on getting another with key fob for my keys.

Last edited by HOGDADDY; 04-27-2023 at 08:20 PM.
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 10:51 PM   #6
Dead Parrot

As I understand things, the Apple Airtag is a passive thing that needs a bluetooth enabled device that is set to talk to unknown devices AND is also connected to the Internet. If a thief is smart enough to turn off his phone, your Airtag may never have a chance to contact anything before your truck gets taken apart.

A true GPS tracker like the one mentioned above is capable of phoning home if it moves away from where it is supposed to be located.

OTOH, the Airtag doesn't cost that much and does give you some chance if your truck goes missing.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:21 AM   #7
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
As I understand things, the Apple Airtag is a passive thing that needs a bluetooth enabled device that is set to talk to unknown devices AND is also connected to the Internet. If a thief is smart enough to turn off his phone, your Airtag may never have a chance to contact anything before your truck gets taken apart.

A true GPS tracker like the one mentioned above is capable of phoning home if it moves away from where it is supposed to be located.

OTOH, the Airtag doesn't cost that much and does give you some chance if your truck goes missing.
That must be the reason why I opted against the AirTag.
Old 04-28-2023, 01:09 PM   #8
HOGDADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post

[AirTag works by using a Bluetooth signal to tap into a network of about a billion Apple devices in the world, like iPhones and Macs, that also broadcast a Bluetooth signal]

He can't turn off everyone's phones.

and,
[Regardless of the class and distance, Bluetooth is not the sum of an AirTag, and both Find My and ultra-wideband are designed to help where Bluetooth can’t. For example, when outside the Bluetooth range, the Find My network can be used to find the general area of an AirTag, making it possible to initially locate a lost or missing item from great distances. Once within range, Bluetooth can take over. Then, when within a close enough distance of the device, the short-range ultra-wideband helps to ensure the exact location of an AirTag can be identified, even when Bluetooth is having issues pinpointing the item.]

https://screenrant.com/apple-airtag-...ach-explained/

Last edited by HOGDADDY; 04-28-2023 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2023, 10:33 PM   #9
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGDADDY View Post
[AirTag works by using a Bluetooth signal to tap into a network of about a billion Apple devices in the world, like iPhones and Macs, that also broadcast a Bluetooth signal]

He can't turn off everyone's phones.

and,
[Regardless of the class and distance, Bluetooth is not the sum of an AirTag, and both Find My and ultra-wideband are designed to help where Bluetooth can’t. For example, when outside the Bluetooth range, the Find My network can be used to find the general area of an AirTag, making it possible to initially locate a lost or missing item from great distances. Once within range, Bluetooth can take over. Then, when within a close enough distance of the device, the short-range ultra-wideband helps to ensure the exact location of an AirTag can be identified, even when Bluetooth is having issues pinpointing the item.]

https://screenrant.com/apple-airtag-...ach-explained/

ultimately, in all seriousness, get a real tracker, pay for subscription if necessary for a quality product to get reliable data, especially if your trucks worth more than an apple air tag.

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 10:43 PM   #10
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87chevy.com View Post
ultimately, in all seriousness, get a real tracker, pay for subscription if necessary for a quality product to get reliable data, especially if your trucks worth more than an apple air tag.
What do you suggest?
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 10:47 PM   #11
Bandit130

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87chevy.com View Post
lol

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Bandit130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 02:10 PM   #12
HOGDADDY

Look, he asked about Apple Airtag and I gave him the info needed to make an informed decision to either use it or not.

Oh, and you're welcome!

Last edited by HOGDADDY; 04-29-2023 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-29-2023, 07:00 PM   #13
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGDADDY View Post
Look, he asked about Apple Airtag and I gave him the info needed to make an informed decision to either use it or not.

Oh, and you're welcome!
true, something is better than nothing.

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 04:26 AM   #14
Bloodhound

The Air tag will also alert someone on their iPhone that an unknown Air tag is following them after it sees the air tag after a period of 8-24 hours. Therefore potentially tipping off the thief. Air tags are cheap and do work, in most circumstances, but I decided to pay up for a real commercial GPS tracker.

https://www.lonestartracking.com/tra...ice-5g-cat-m1/

It uses AAA batteries and lasts up to 10 years, and operates using GPS and 5G LTE. You can set up geofences, they have a very good app with movement alerts, etc. The subscription is $150 a year which I happily pay for piece of mind knowing I won't lose the truck I've had for most of my life.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 04:21 PM   #15
Jeepwm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
The Air tag will also alert someone on their iPhone that an unknown Air tag is following them after it sees the air tag after a period of 8-24 hours. Therefore potentially tipping off the thief. Air tags are cheap and do work, in most circumstances, but I decided to pay up for a real commercial GPS tracker.

https://www.lonestartracking.com/tra...ice-5g-cat-m1/

It uses AAA batteries and lasts up to 10 years, and operates using GPS and 5G LTE. You can set up geofences, they have a very good app with movement alerts, etc. The subscription is $150 a year which I happily pay for piece of mind knowing I won't lose the truck I've had for most of my life.

I think that's the big drawback to an apple air tag. Still better than nothing.
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 01:06 PM   #16
jweb

I bought an AirTag for my car trailer. It worked fine on our recent trip to Kool April Nights. Now that my trailer is in storage out in the country it doesn’t work at all.

So it really depends on how secure you want to be. If a real tracker is $150 and includes a 2 year subscription, that seems like a better way to go.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 04:19 AM   #17
Richard

All Iphones after version 10 have an airtag built in. So they know where you are if your phone is on or off if another Iphone is nearby. The tracking feature cannot be turned off.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 05:05 PM   #18
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
All Iphones after version 10 have an airtag built in. So they know where you are if your phone is on or off if another Iphone is nearby. The tracking feature cannot be turned off.

I can't find any info on the Net that confirms iPhones starting at version 11 have an AirTag built into them. What I found indicates that all iPhones after version 10 have what's called the U1 chip, which is an ultrawide band radio transmitter that is used to precisely locate nearby devices that also have a U1 chip ( for example, an AirTag ).

Could apple use the U1 chip in the iPhone to track it as if it had an AirTag? I don't know.

Can you provide any documentation regarding AirTag being embedded into iPhone?

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 03:04 AM   #19
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post

I can't find any info on the Net that confirms iPhones starting at version 11 have an AirTag built into them. What I found indicates that all iPhones after version 10 have what's called the U1 chip, which is an ultrawide band radio transmitter that is used to precisely locate nearby devices that also have a U1 chip ( for example, an AirTag ).

Could apple use the U1 chip in the iPhone to track it as if it had an AirTag? I don't know.

Can you provide any documentation regarding AirTag being embedded into iPhone?

-klb
IDK maybe not an actual airtag is not installed. But FWIU all IPhones after version 10 have the ability to be located on find my IPhone whether on or off. Later phones act the same as an airtag, needs no power. Sad thing is law enforcement does not use this feature to get your property back if stolen, the only benefit IMO.

Last edited by Richard; 05-11-2023 at 03:37 AM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote