The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2023, 12:55 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Ever notice your fan shroud doesn't fit - Upper radiator brackets

I can only speak for a 4-row 1971 BBC AT with A/C. Before I rebuilt my truck the shroud just wasn't right and I didn't know why. Many shrouds see scrapes because they're not installed right. Heck on my truck they didn't even install the lower brackets right, the core support's lower rear edge has to be bent down some to so the brackets are flush for a 4 row radiator, but the factory didn't bother.

The parts book for upper brackets calls for one part number. I've bought after market, NOS and have the original brackets, and all of them have one thing in common, which is the area that mounts the shroud needs to be bent well downward for the right fit. Of course the factory didn't bother with that either.

Correct radiators, shrouds and core supports don't lie, but the brackets sure do. Strange the factory didn't supply the right mounts to begin with.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-10-2023 at 01:22 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 02:17 PM   #2
NGN

Re: Ever notice your fan shroud doesn't fit - Upper radiator brackets

I don't know for a fact but was wondering if the radiator support at the bottom wher the radiator brackets go wher designed different for a four core. When I change my radiator from a orginal single core to a orginal four core, I had to cut the alittle on the raditor support under the each radiator bracket so they laid flat so the radiator wasn't up so high and the radiator brackets up top then laid flat right into place. Are the bottom rad brackets
low and level.
NGN
NICK
NGN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 03:19 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGN View Post
I don't know for a fact but was wondering if the radiator support at the bottom wher the radiator brackets go wher designed different for a four core. When I change my radiator from a orginal single core to a orginal four core, I had to cut the alittle on the raditor support under the each radiator bracket so they laid flat so the radiator wasn't up so high and the radiator brackets up top then laid flat right into place. Are the bottom rad brackets
low and level.
NGN
NICK
I'm unsure of any differences in lower brackets. My lower brackets weren't installed flush on the core support, with factory rivets; now bolts. I bent the lip on the support so they'd seat flush. As they were from factory (not right), then of course the tops brackets were closer for the shroud, but still not right. So the shroud's lower clips couldn't insert into the support right, so on and so forth.

Edit: Some research says the upper and lower brackets are mostly the same on these trucks...... as follows:
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-10-2023 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-10-2023, 10:39 PM   #4
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Just curious, is it possible an incorrect shroud is in place? I can’t recall specifics w regard to BB shrouds.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 10:43 PM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Just curious, is it possible an incorrect shroud is in place? I can’t recall specifics w regard to BB shrouds.
Nope Right shroud, it's got the right part number. Right support, right pads, right radiator and "right brackets".

Seems to me the brackets were mostly the same and the assembly made alterations as needed, assuming they do

Pretty sure right support anyway, I don't know of any distinctions other than it fits or it doesn't.
Old 07-11-2023, 07:05 AM   #6
hewittca

I noticed this recently when I switched my radiator and needed to change out to the 4 core brackets. They fit very poorly, quite like the photo you posted. My temporary solution was to add spacers between the core support and upper brackets to bring them closer to level, yet they still don't fit that great. On the bottoms, I did notch the core support so they sit as low and level as they can go. I would like to see a clean solution to get these brackets to sit right!

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 01:14 PM   #7
Jason Banks

I used a belt sander and thinned up the rubber...
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 02:18 PM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
I noticed this recently when I switched my radiator and needed to change out to the 4 core brackets. They fit very poorly, quite like the photo you posted. My temporary solution was to add spacers between the core support and upper brackets to bring them closer to level, yet they still don't fit that great. On the bottoms, I did notch the core support so they sit as low and level as they can go. I would like to see a clean solution to get these brackets to sit right!

mg]
That looks NICE. Apparently your shroud sits much higher than mine, I had to drop the brackets. Seems as long as the parts are correct then mod as the shroud dictates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
I used a belt sander and thinned up the rubber...
I initially did that and great point to bring up. Beats bending the top bracket. But mine was off as much 1/4"-ish, seemed like a lot of pad to remove.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-11-2023 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-11-2023, 03:24 PM   #9
hewittca

I actually built an aluminum shroud that bolts to the core support. When I raised these radiator brackets up, I didn't even consider that it would not work with the stock shroud. That is a good observation though. For those looking for a good solution with the stock shroud, ignore my idea!

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote