The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2023, 08:34 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Never Give Up

A ground-up is a lot of work and it takes a lot of money. I see posts where guys let it bother them how long their build is taking, or how they had to let it sit a while, even considered selling because of this. Listen, not everyone can have time AND money both at the same time. Good for those who can. We see some trucks come right together. Then there are the TV shows where they build a truck in an hour . Deadline schmeadline, this ain't no reality show. This year marks my 50th year for owning at least one 67-72 GM pickup. I'm in it for life, are you a sincere 67-72 GM truck lover? Than don't sweat it, take it from me.

Life has gotten in my way in every way possible since I decided to build my '67 SWB project. I sold a registered, running, and driving '72 SWB to buy a rebuilt rolling chassis and I already had all the factory body parts for a '67 GMC. I even had a set of wheels & tires to bolt on to dolly it home from FL. That was '06. It sat under a tarp outside my barn all these years. I did strip, prime, and mount the cab years later and years ago. I have had that thing for 17 years! The only thing that bothers me about that is I want one to drive!

Patience will always be a virtue, no matter how anxious this world becomes. not me, let 'em fret! I'll get this thing done. Perseverance is also a virtue. The other thing that did bother me was it sitting outside under a tarp. Although a thing that has effected my time factor has been getting my 166 year old property in tip-top shape to sell, I managed to at least build a little one bay garage for it. Took that sitting outside worry out of the equation. And I can do things now I wouldn't think of sitting out. Get ready for pictures
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 08:42 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Never Give Up

Got the garage built, which will also add value to my home at selling time... once I manage to pour a slab and install a roll-up. The '72 was immobile, tight squeeze!
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 07-19-2023, 08:44 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

And Merry Christmas!!
Attached Images

Tim

Old 07-19-2023, 09:18 AM   #4
72c20customcamper

I totally agree with you Tim . My 68 only took me close to 4 years which in reality is a short time . But I’m retired and tried to do something on it at least once a week . I at times got disgusted with it seeing it in pieces but I would plug away at it that’s the thing no matter what keep moving forward on it .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 09:57 AM   #5
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Hang in there! They say that life is what happens, when you are making other plans I purchased my Longhorn in Dec of 1984....tore it down to the bare chassis. She laid in pcs for 8 yrs, till she finally hit the road. Running & driving now....but just now starting to finish up the body work (39yrs later)! Retired now & its a joy to have my part time job (4-5 hrs a day on the Longhorn).
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 09:58 AM   #6
jollymon02

Totally need this today. Thanks.
jollymon02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 11:38 AM   #7
Chevys4life

Yes....Tim......if you turn wrenches yourself and are a true gearhead, and you have been doing this for a while, you will always have either one or several long term projects because that is the nature of this game.
Chevys4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 03:01 PM   #8
chewychevy67

I have been working on mine since 07 and it's slow but fun. I set a finish date once and that was 8 years ago lol. I don't do that anymore. I focus more on the small projects and when all those are done it will be a complete truck someday. Plus I have found some really nice parts for my build over that time. If it was done in 2014 like I projected it wouldn't have some of the cool mods I found out about later in the build.
chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 09:53 PM   #9
70c10-08

Cool Re: Never Give Up

I can totally relate to this, I received my C/10 as a high school graduation gift on Easter of 2008. 2 weeks later I started to tear my truck apart to the bare frame to rebuild it. It's been 98% disassembled since 2009. 98% of the body work is done did that all myself. I've got 98% of all the suspension parts purchased I've yet to remove the trailing arms, rear springs or, rear axle. I would love to drive it on the road again someday but, life gets in the way. A new Moser F**D 9inch posi traction rear end isn't cheap, a new high performance small block to replace the 307 cubic inch power plant she left Janesville with isn't cheap neither is a new manual transmission. But, I try to make a promise to myself to buy at least one part for the truck every 3 years so I'm at least doing something. Sometimes it seems like I've completely lost interest or I do absolutely nothing but, that's not the case, she's always on my mind and I'm always thinking of what can I buy for her next? But, when you have bills to pay and a daily to take care of, you gotta do, what you gotta do until you can get the funds to play with. And I try not to think about the major shows like C/10 intervention or Dinos Git Down because they just remind me of the situation I'm in but, at the same time they offer me encouragement of what I will have someday.
70c10-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 09:55 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

I just like knowing it's there. The reason I used to have nine trucks was so I knew I had something to do once I retired. But that was when it was no question about affording all that. When I got f'ed royal the reality was I wouldn't be able to do them all. If I had that money now I'd spend it on real estate to gain back what I lost. If I had enough time left of my life, I'd then get more trucks

Tim

Old 07-19-2023, 10:41 PM   #11
Ironangel

Right on Tim! Looks to me like you have all the parts, just need to assemble them. If you need something let me know, if I have it it's yours...Truck's lookin mighty good by the way!
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 11:30 PM   #12
dave6672

I took 20 years restoring my K20. A little here, a little there.

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1957 Chevy 210 Delray
1967 C10
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 11:35 PM   #13
yote1234

im in the same boat. it takes time. please tell me more about yours looks like a cheyenne, orange/white. mine is hugger and white
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 12:33 AM   #14
SideStepper

At a very early age, back in Detroit, Michigan.....I was born a "Chevy/GMC kid". Following WW2, my late father worked as a machinist for Chevrolet in the tool room. I grew up with Chevys my entire life. I approach this hobby as just that, a HOBBY not a business. Enjoy having these great trucks around you. Always remember, as in life, the fun is in the journey.
SideStepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 09:23 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Thanks Iron Angel. You are a good man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideStepper View Post
At a very early age, back in Detroit, Michigan.....I was born a "Chevy/GMC kid". Following WW2, my late father worked as a machinist for Chevrolet in the tool room. I grew up with Chevys my entire life. I approach this hobby as just that, a HOBBY not a business. Enjoy having these great trucks around you. Always remember, as in life, the fun is in the journey.
Yep, that's it! I was born to be a Chevy/GMC truck guy. After all, I was born in '55 so they had to make two different trucks and come out with the Cameo/Suburban Carrier to celebrate my birth Then there was the '55 Chevy car with it's first year V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by yote1234 View Post
im in the same boat. it takes time. please tell me more about yours looks like a cheyenne, orange/white. mine is hugger and white
I just call it a '67 because that's what it will look like. It's all built from parts I had, which is why I sold the running '72 before I tore into that to build this exactly how I wanted. I had bought the rust free '72 Tangier Orange cab from CA at Carlisle in the '90s. My Ochre & white '71 Cheyenne Custom Camper/20 had cab back damage that would be next to impossible to repair, plus it was a rust free original paint truck. I never repaired it. The damage was not so obvious.
It's a complete rebuilt with 4/6 drop chassis I bought from Hart Rob in... '06? I bought a '68 C/20 327 (NJ) and had it built to 325hp. I have a Muncie M22 to go behind it and a 3.42 posi gearset (GA). It will be an era hot truck as if built a few years after new. Nothing on that didn't exist back then. I have a set of 8" Kelsey-Hayes steelies (GA), a louvered 67/68 hood (NH), '67 GMC fenders (KS), doors (CA), and tailgate (OR). and I have a pair of bedsides from CA and TX. Wood floor structure out of AZ. Front bed panel is from same guy I bought the Longhorn cab from. It's quite the all American truck! I even have OEM Soft Ray for it. The chrome wing vents are from AZ. I traded the buddy buckets from the same truck the 327 came out of for an extremely nicely redone black set of Buddies. The ribbed section is roll & pleat which the door panels will be. Oh yeah, this whole '67 GMC thing originates from a core support with chrome '67 grille from NE that I bought at Carlisle because I had a friend that needed one. Then found he sold the truck. No worries, this was ling before reproduction. No reproduction on this truck what so ever, except any new mechanical parts it will need. I even had buckets of OEM bolts. It's the result of the years of gathering parts I've done.

One thing that had held me up is next step body & paint... a very big one! I have since decided I'll paint it Hot Rod Flatz Red Oxide. It will appear as an "in progress" hot truck. But I'll finish paint inside the cab and probably inside the bed. Maybe cut in areas, but most likely blow it apart once it comes to paint. I just want to look out over that hood and grab onto that Hurst shifter as I take a glance at the chrome tach on the column! Not going to let the cost of paint keep me from that. In the future I'd like to build a Pontiac V8 to look like a 389. The M22 is out of a '65 A-body Pontiac and the idea is a truck a mechanic at a Pontiac GMC dealership might have built, since the SBC only went into GMCs late in '67.

I had to let my collection go due to my divorce and hard times. I will be happy to have the spectrum of 67-72s in these two trucks, 67/72, SWB 2wd/K2500, Ground-up mild custom/Factory original with options (and a couple personal touches also from the era).
Attached Images

Tim

Old 07-20-2023, 09:32 AM   #16
pickupman

Well said Tim. It will come in time and you will get to enjoy it. Best of luck
Been 40 years since I bought my first one. and fortunatly I still have it somehow

67 1/2 ton 4wd custom cab
72 1/2 ton 4wd super cheyenne
71 1/2 BB super cheyenne shortbed
pickupman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 06:55 PM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickupman View Post
Well said Tim. It will come in time and you will get to enjoy it. Best of luck
Been 40 years since I bought my first one. and fortunatly I still have it somehow
That's how I would be, Bill, if I hadn't married trouble. Thanks for the well wishes. Good to see you post. I'm also on another thread talking how I'd like to have a RAV4, hahaha! Totally different, no affect on my truck love. Might help with the money to help it along.

I just remembered, my dad used to have this stuck on the refrigerator door and he was a never give up kind of guy
Attached Images

Tim

Old 07-20-2023, 07:07 PM   #18
jumpsoffrock

Why selling the property? Looks like a great little homestead, Tim.
jumpsoffrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 11:35 PM   #19
chevmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That's how I would be, Bill, if I hadn't married trouble. Thanks for the well wishes. Good to see you post. I'm also on another thread talking how I'd like to have a RAV4, hahaha! Totally different, no affect on my truck love. Might help with the money to help it along.

I just remembered, my dad used to have this stuck on the refrigerator door and he was a never give up kind of guy
Funny you say that about wanting a Rav4, I did as well for a while, and last winter I found and purchased one (98) which had been in an accident, but decent otherwise, and drove it onto my trailer. But it is just one other reason my C20 is still not done, but the Rav4 is fixed, and on the road, and now pretty much a daily driver for now anyhow. I doubt I ever rip one apart like I did my 72 C20, but who knows. Wish I had put it into running and driving condition, and kept it that way while I did more work....they rarely ever get completely finished that way, but for me it keeps the motivation going.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 08:16 AM   #20
saddletramp

Thanks Special K for your post I need this.im working 6 days a week mandatory I get to my one day off and I'm worn out hopefully this overtime ends soon Thanks again I saved this post on my phone so I can read it while I'm on break at work. Saddletramp
saddletramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 08:48 AM   #21
Woody

Ii bought my '69 SWB Fleetside (23 options) truck in Dec '84. Drove it for 100k miles then parked it in 2002, to do BoyScouts with my 2 sons. It sat in the basement garage until about 2 years ago when I moved it out to my new garage that I had built over the old inground pool in the back yard.

Retired in Nov 2020 and it is my side project to work on as I get time.
It is all tore apart now and I have rebuilt the frame with Front disks, new ball joints, control arm shafts and bushings, rebuilt the PS box, new rear axles, brakes, bearings....and POR-15'ed the whole thing.

I had let it sit for 20 years and miss driving it all the time. It is a labor of love as I grew up learning to drive in a 69 C-10. I figure it will be another 2 years before I'm finished.

Sorry no pics right now...
Woody
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 06:11 AM   #22
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddletramp View Post
Thanks Special K for your post I need this.im working 6 days a week mandatory I get to my one day off and I'm worn out hopefully this overtime ends soon Thanks again I saved this post on my phone so I can read it while I'm on break at work. Saddletramp
I'm glad this thread is an inspiration. I should read it more myself. If the truck getting done is what you really want, you will make it happen. Time is relevant. These trucks are forever and that's absolute!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Ii bought my '69 SWB Fleetside (23 options) truck in Dec '84. Drove it for 100k miles then parked it in 2002, to do BoyScouts with my 2 sons. It sat in the basement garage until about 2 years ago when I moved it out to my new garage that I had built over the old inground pool in the back yard.

Retired in Nov 2020 and it is my side project to work on as I get time.
It is all tore apart now and I have rebuilt the frame with Front disks, new ball joints, control arm shafts and bushings, rebuilt the PS box, new rear axles, brakes, bearings....and POR-15'ed the whole thing.

I had let it sit for 20 years and miss driving it all the time. It is a labor of love as I grew up learning to drive in a 69 C-10. I figure it will be another 2 years before I'm finished.

Sorry no pics right now...
Woody
Thanks for posting this. Yours is a prime example of what this is all about.

Just up the road from me, not much more than half a mile, is an ochre & white '71 or '72 Cheyenne Super/10. I've never seen it driven. I've been here since '87 and this guy has always lived there. I thought about stopping by to talk to him about it and it hasn't happened in 37 years. He added a garage onto his rancher and tucked the truck in. Through the years I've had people say they stopped to ask if it was for sale and were told "no". I while back, maybe ten years, I saw the bed was off. Then I could tell he was restoring it. It's all done and still sitting in there, never see it out. I'm not saying he never drives it. I couldn't know that. I just never saw that. Obviously the man loves that truck and he never gave up. I really should stop in one day. I'm sure he's away of my truck activity here through the years.

Tim

Old 08-08-2023, 08:01 AM   #23
don t. - 72gmc

Dad had a 69 Chevy. Brother hit a tree. He was ok but not so much for the truck.

Im no mechanic(computer geek by trade) but due to family and no $'s I learned to wrench when needed on late 60 to mid 70 chevys. I moved to the country, needed a truck. Found a 72. Worked well until the brake lines rotted away. Fixed er up until it turned into a Flintstone mobile. Found my current truck, 70 survivor in 07. It worked well until brake line rust hit me again. Been sitting so long, don't remember when. Bought parts as $'s allowed. Got laid off/retired in 2019, bought the remaining parts I needed. Putzed a bit last year on it. This spring we decided it needs to be finished. Making progress each day. Sometimes baby steps, sometimes big mother may I steps. Last major purchases are a battery, tires.

The anticipation of driving her once again gets my motor running each morning.

Im havin fun...Don.
don t. - 72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 09:36 AM   #24
72c20customcamper

Yup always keep moving forward . The start is always slow then it starts to go faster. My truck May 2022 and today
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 07:27 PM   #25
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Eight years so far, and my seat remains outstanding, which I dropped off yesterday. And the bumpers remain in a "call again next week" status.

Was a complete novice going into it, but I had lots of time to spare since I'm retired. Money wasn't really an issue, to the tune of about 80K. That includes maybe 6K in do-overs. It's without the engine and buying the truck in the first place (1989). Body/paint was a very good deal at 17Kish. That and the truck had a ton of great parts to start with. I built it, and others did the finishes/body, and rebuilds such as to the steering box, steering pump, all hinges, rear end, transmission etc. etc.

Perseverance for sure. Another member suggested to commit at least a half hour-ish everyday, and that's probably great advice. Before LOOOOOOOOONG it's on the road.

I had some burnout, simply because of things like sending my ac compressor across the country three )*(_^&_^ times. Other then that my biggest complaint was and remains obtaining good parts and services can take a long time and patience. Especially with covid mentalities, and Chinese crap replacing quality parts and service.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 08-10-2023 at 01:32 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote