The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2023, 04:36 PM   #1
bigdumbhick

new drive train? LS? LT? Tecumseh?

I have a 71 GMC with a non-original 305 that is on its last legs. The th350 Trans leaks like a gunshot victim due to hardened seals. I am currently searching for a replacement motor and someone who can swap it out for me.

What can I drop in this bare bones farm truck to restore it to dependable transportation? Its an ugly. beat to crap, rusted out bed and cab corners, no P/S, P/B, or A/C truck that is used for truck stuff - Hauling a scoop of gravel or topsoil, firewood, occasionally trips to the dump...and I occasionally like to camp In it. Throw an air mattress in the back and a pop-up canopy over the bed. Occassionally I use it as a backup vehicle for my 60mile RT work commute.

I am in NC. What is my easiest and cheapest solution for returning my truck to dependable transportation?making it road worthy/ The rebuild cost for the th350 is $1500-$2000. A crate 350 is about another $2000. With labor I'm looking at $5k-$6k and I'm not sure I want to invest $6k into a $1500 truck.

EDIT: I should point out that I do not have the skill, space, tools, health, or time to swap out an engine or transmission. I'm going to have to pay someone to do that

Last edited by bigdumbhick; 08-15-2023 at 07:23 PM.
bigdumbhick is offline   Reply With Quote