The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2023, 01:44 AM   #1
howzzzit

Ported vs manifold vacuum

My 72 C10 1/2 ton has always used ported vacuum per the factory manuals. I'm thinking about trying full manifold vacuum. I read this was done to keep the emissions down when using the smog pump. Don't have the pump installed any longer. Maybe a little smoother idle? Ideas please. SBC 350 and quadrajet.
howzzzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 04:45 AM   #2
MikeB

Re: Ported vs manifold vacuum

Google "why ported vacuum?" and you'll see many discussions. Bottom line is it came about during the emissions control era to reduce emissions at idle. But it has no other redeeming values. Typical side effects are stumbling off idle. If you look around long enough you may may find a rant by a GM engineer who explains why we have it and why it doesn't work that great.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 07:06 AM   #3
j_cst_10

There is a very good article that MikeB references. You want to use manifold vacuum so have advance at idle where you need it.

At idle, there is no ported vacuum signal and thus no vacuum advance. Engines need plenty of ignition advance to light off lean mixtures at idle or part throttle cruising.

1966 Coronet 440 35k mile survivor
1991 Suburban 2500 454/4L80E 2wd
1985 Monte Carlo SS 383 Sbc, t-56 magnum 6spd and Ford 9"
j_cst_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 08:53 AM   #4
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Yep, I moved to manifold on mine - mucho better.

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 10:03 AM   #5
72SB

go manifold vacuum so the VA works at idle. You want 20-24 degrees of timing at idle (base + VA)
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 11:08 AM   #6
Dead Parrot

Another vote for manifold. The smog pump system was an efficiency killer. They tuned the system rich so there was unburned gas in the exhaust. Then when the pump pumped air into the hot exhaust stream, a 2nd burning happened which resulted in cleaner exhaust vs the older no pump system. It did help with tailpipe emissions but made gas mileage and power less.

With no pump, largely ignore the timing recommendations on the sticker or factory manual. Assuming a mostly stock 350, most like about 10~14 BTC indicated with vacuum pot disconnected. (initial timing) You might go through a couple of cycles of adjust timing, adjust idle speed, adjust idle mix before its happy. Then connect the vacuum advance and readjust idle speed and maybe idle mix.

If it becomes hard to start hot, back off a couple of degrees on initial timing.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 12:21 PM   #7
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

This is why I love my progressionignition.com distributor but it does cost a arm and a leg!

It actively retards the timing during starting and retards / advances timings in different running conditions, based on your RPM setting for idle. It retards/advances the timings during idle (say at a stop light) by trying to keep your expected idle RMPs in the settings. I have two main charts for two different seasonal idle RPM engine conditions: Summer (AC expected to be used) and Winter (not expected to use AC). Basically, I adjust my carburetor's idle twice a year, depending on expected AC usage. Then load the required Progression Ignition distributor chart after adjusting the carburetor's idle.

Also, I really get hypnotized watching the active chart / bouncing timing bubble on my iPhone! Some photos attached, getting the starting up "10" was hard as it's only there for a moment before the timing bumps up.
Attached Images

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 08-20-2023, 08:27 PM   #8
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
This is why I love my progressionignition.com distributor but it does cost a arm and a leg!

It actively retards the timing during starting and retards / advances timings in different running conditions, based on your RPM setting for idle. It retards/advances the timings during idle (say at a stop light) by trying to keep your expected idle RMPs in the settings. I have two main charts for two different seasonal idle RPM engine conditions: Summer (AC expected to be used) and Winter (not expected to use AC). Basically, I adjust my carburetor's idle twice a year, depending on expected AC usage. Then load the required Progression Ignition distributor chart after adjusting the carburetor's idle.

Also, I really get hypnotized watching the active chart / bouncing timing bubble on my iPhone! Some photos attached, getting the starting up "10" was hard as it's only there for a moment before the timing bumps up.
All good info except in the first sentence. The Progression Ignition Distributors are only $30 dollars more than the MSD pro billet dizzy's and the Progression dizzy's include the coil where MSD's 8360 pro billet dizzy does not. Progression Ignition dizzy's are made in the USA where MSD sold out to Holley and China...If you live in a state where they stick sniffers in your tail pipe to pass emission standards then keep the ported vacuum set up. Otherwise, go manifold vacuum and learn how to tune your timing and the Quadrajet... https://progressionignition.com/prod...ei-distributor https://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/8360/10002/-1
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 08:32 PM   #9
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I was comparing if you put in pertronix... I don't think I ever looked at a MSD Pro Billet... my error / ignorance.

Old 08-21-2023, 11:52 AM   #10
68 P.O.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzzzit View Post
My 72 C10 1/2 ton has always used ported vacuum per the factory manuals. I'm thinking about trying full manifold vacuum. I read this was done to keep the emissions down when using the smog pump. Don't have the pump installed any longer. Maybe a little smoother idle? Ideas please. SBC 350 and quadrajet.
Everything you need to know is right here: http://www.camaros.org/pdf/timing101.pdf
Old 08-21-2023, 12:52 PM   #11
MikeB

Several years ago I splurged and bought an MSD E-Curve distributor for a small block. It had no mechanical advance weights & springs, and just a hose nipple for a manifold vacuum hose. It was all configured with dip switches, but did not have any electronic user interface.

I have seen at least one TV show where the shop guys were stumped by the setup, because you have to think backwards. In other words, start off by physically adjusting the distributor to the max advance you want, and then set switches to retard advance to, let's say, 12 degrees at 800 RPM and 25 degrees at 3000 RPM. That's because electronics can retard a spark, but they can't advance it. Got it?

I see where that distributor now costs literally 65% more than I paid for it 10-11 years ago. So if Holley is actually having them built in China, you'd think the price would be less or flat due to significantly lower labor costs, even with U.S. inflation.
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
Old 08-21-2023, 12:56 PM   #12
leftybass209

I ran ported a long time, as a way to cover for low compression and a vacuum can that added too many total degrees of advance.

Engine ran slightly hot at all times and temp would creep up at lights and drive-thru's, but it didn't smell too rich at idle.

Eventually limited the total degrees the vacuum advance added, and switched to manifold vacuum.

Truck now runs cool and doesn't push temps (104 here lately) even in traffic, with a minor bump in MPG. Slightly more rich at idle, but could be dialed in better with an 02 sensor.

Ported vacuum was for emissions, and emissions is not to be confused with fuel economy.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 01:17 PM   #13
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
I ran ported a long time, as a way to cover for low compression and a vacuum can that added too many total degrees of advance.
So many vacuum canister have 20-30 degrees advance to make up for the small amount of initial and mechanical advance. Years ago I bought one from Crane, and was surprised to learn it has >20 degrees. After doing some research, I ended up getting this one:

I don't remember the current P/N, but over the years it was known as a VC1838 or AR12. Max advance was 7 degrees at 10-12" vacuum.

Tons of information in this document. Be sure to read the section by Duke Williams starting on page 9. Note that there are canister listings for non-HEI distributors and HEI.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Vacuum_Advance_Specs.pdf (244.8 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by MikeB; 08-21-2023 at 01:39 PM.