The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2004, 06:50 PM   #1
cheyenne10

DIN chassis stereos

Dash already cut. Looking for ideas for DIN mount stereo. I'm probably going to use am/fm/cassette. I lean towards cassette because everyone I know whose car is broke into loses CD player. Tthese trucks aren't the cleanest and purest for sounds anyway. I can dub cassettes easy.

I don't want to dump a bunch of cash but what name brand good looking unit. Also what are opening dimensions for mounting?

pictures are worth 1000 words.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:43 PM   #2
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

as far as cutting the opening. You should get the radio, and then use the cage for the mount as a guide. That way you know it's going to fit right. That's how I did it on all the metal dashes I cut when I worked at a stereo shop. Hold it against the dash, make sure it's level, and use a pencil to draw around the outside of the cage. Then use a die grinder or air saw to cut it out. Every cage is going to be a little different. I would hate for you to cut a hole that's too big. It's hard to make them smaller then.
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 08:49 PM   #3
cheyenne10

hole

I've already got a hole, not to sure exact dimensions yet. I thought there was a standard for those chassis.

This is truck with original indash 8-track/am radio!! I am also considering adding additional stereo elsewhere, just need controls to be convienient, if not it will be too hazardous to fool with radio dial while driving. I like my FM radio.

Last edited by cheyenne10; 01-09-2004 at 08:55 PM.
cheyenne10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 08:55 PM   #4
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

The size of the radio is standard, but the size of the cage is not. I used to install Alpine and Clarion radios and the holes were just a little bit different. If you already have a DIN hole, then you are set. You might have to make a cover to go behind the DIN cage to cover your old knob holes. I did in my truck. The outer edges of the knobs were showing on the sides of the radio. I made a cover plate from ABS we had at the shop and put it between the cage and the dash. Looked good then. Buy your radio first, then cut the hole to fit. In dash 8 track isn't a DIN size hole. Not if it was factory. DIN is a european sizing, so no way was it used in 67-72.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:28 PM   #5
1969 GMC

i thought the 8 track player was mounted under the dash?

but anyway, I would go with a good Pioneer or Sony head unit. I have a Pioneer AM/FM/CD in my glove box, and prior I had it in my Olds 88, its a great player. Durable too, it popped out of the Olds' dash when a Dodge Ram rearended me going about 50 mph, and it skipped, but kept playing after that, even though the impact ruined the 2 rear speakers (and the Olds itself, but that is another story). All of my buddies use Pioneer or Sony units, all are CD though, and they are all happy with them. Dad used to have a 2 post Clarion AM/FM/Cassette in his '74 IH p/u, it was a nice unit also. I have heard good things about Alpine but they don't offer as many features as Sony and Pioneer,and for a less competitive price, too. At least that is what I noticed a couple years back when researching a new CD player.

Good luck.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 09:37 PM   #6
cheyenne10

picture

I will post picture when its allowed, right now it looks like problems doing so on boards. I do have an old Sony unit in anthher truck and was always happy. And I too have had freinds with good pioneers. the older pioneers at least had very good radio reception. Sadly though I will be stuck with DIN model unless I mount it remotely and then I can't surf the stations. Aren't men habitual surfers!!
Old 01-09-2004, 09:47 PM   #7
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Bob, my GMC has a Pioneer Supertuner III AM/FM/Cass. It's of DIN design and has a removable face too. It also has the head controls to operate a remote multi-disc unit if you decide to install one later.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 07:08 PM   #8
cheyenne10

pic try

A shot at posting pic of what I have now.

Last edited by cheyenne10; 01-10-2004 at 07:20 PM.
cheyenne10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 07:53 PM   #9
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

I don't believe that is a factory 8 track, and the hole appears to be larger than a DIN hole. You might want to make a plate out of ABS to fill in the rest of the hole when you put in a new radio. A factory 8 track would have been mounted under the dash, not in it. It was an add on for the radio that the dealer usually installed when it got there. Your hole should be close to DIN size, but will be a bit bigger. The cage tabs should be able to hold it if you have a filler cover made for it. Also, make sure you have a strap holding it up in the back, that way all the weight isn't on the front hole. It will keep it from sagging. It kept my CD from skipping too. makes it harder to steal, as they have to get behind the dash to unscrew it.

Is the 8 track listed in the glovebox option list? If so, I think it has been replaced at some time. The trim around the outside of the radio is the give away.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:56 AM   #10
cheyenne10

History of 8 track.

It was purchased and installed during days of delivery from local vendor in original town through dealer. So as described it is a delaer installed unit. I have original receipt for radio and owners phamplet for it. AM radio works good and I was told 8 track does too. I was offered some Neal Diamond or something but I'm still trying to track down some old AC/DC!! With of few of those I might be good to do. Anyone know of a good source for old 8-track rock music?
Old 01-11-2004, 06:47 AM   #11
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Up here there's a place called EM-Everyday Music. I'll look for some AC/DC 8 track tapes there for ya.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote