The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2023, 04:32 PM   #1
cherokeejohn

72 A/C,heat,defrost blower stopped working?

So on my 72 350/th350 factory A/C truck, the blower just stopped working this past week. About a month back, I took my diverter box out, cleaned and greased it, replaced gaskets, cleaned all vents and ducts, and reinstalled it. The blower worked before this, and after it as well. This past week, we had our first frost here in the Mid-Atlantic area. i went out, started her up, turned the defrost on, turned the fan on high and let her warm up. come out just shy of 10 mins later and it had only defrosted a area the size of a baseball. i felt the defrost vents and i can feel heat, just no force behind it, flipped the fan switch a few times, i can hear a noise coming from behind the diverter box or the glovebox (cant determine exactly where. but i can hear it trying to do something. I've researched a bit on it and it is between the fan switch, the blower motor, or a resistor . any help or info on this would be great if anyone else has experienced this problem or similar. I don't want to just start buying a buncha parts and spending un-necessary money chasing a gremlin. this truck is my DD and WINTER IS COMING FAST. defrost is a must have.
cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 08:23 PM   #2
howzzzit

Re: 72 A/C,heat,defrost blower stopped working?

Check out this thread.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=848332

You didn't say if air blows anywhere else?
howzzzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 11:59 AM   #3
MARKDTN

There is also a fan speed relay that can cause issues but with it you usually have high speed only. I would start with a good multimeter and see what voltage you have at the fan in various speeds. For high you should have battery voltage and the lower speeds progressively less of course. I would make sure I had a good ground to the fan motor. That would give you a place to start.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:02 PM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
There is also a fan speed relay that can cause issues but with it you usually have high speed only. I would start with a good multimeter and see what voltage you have at the fan in various speeds. For high you should have battery voltage and the lower speeds progressively less of course. I would make sure I had a good ground to the fan motor. That would give you a place to start.
That's real good. Perhaps ground came loose during the assembly of parts.

Hopefully the blower is good, it's a (*&^^) to replace. At least on my 402 A/C it is.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 06:10 PM   #5
cherokeejohn

thanks to all of you for the info. pulled the whole HVAC control panel out, laid it on the console this afternoon, and reached for my test light and suddenly the fan kicked on. upon closer inspection i noticed the wires an plug to fan switch were a bit crunchy/burnt crispy. guess ill be playing "custom auto electrician" this weekend. in meantime, my brother tossed me a auxiliary12V defroster from his skid loader, so if we get any frosty mornings before i fix the fan wiring, i wont be driving down the road looking like Ace Ventura with my head out the window,
cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 07:57 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeejohn View Post
thanks to all of you for the info. pulled the whole HVAC control panel out, laid it on the console this afternoon, and reached for my test light and suddenly the fan kicked on. upon closer inspection i noticed the wires an plug to fan switch were a bit crunchy/burnt crispy. guess ill be playing "custom auto electrician" this weekend. in meantime, my brother tossed me a auxiliary12V defroster from his skid loader, so if we get any frosty mornings before i fix the fan wiring, i wont be driving down the road looking like Ace Ventura with my head out the window,
This seems very common. Who knew 50+ years could do that to a fan switch's wiring
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote