The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2023, 12:17 PM   #1
douce48

Tailgate band black paint sheen

Looking for your thoughts on what the black paint "sheen" should be for the GM trim and the tailgate band.
I taped off the band and painted it with "Krylon Satin Black" and will be replacing the woodgrain and letters.

I just painted it yesterday but I'm not sure if the sheen will "calm" down (shine wise)? I don't really want flat black but I really don't want a sheen either. My thoughts are not to draw attention to the trim with shiny black paint but will flat black hold up?

Your thoughts on what GM meant for the black paint on the trim to be? I don't want to removed all the tape until its completed to liking.
IF I remember correctly, I bought a OEM GMC front grill many years back (when they were still mfg them) and the black paint seemed more of a flat sheen (much less sheen than the Satin I just painted).

Thanks for your replies in advance!
Attached Images

douce48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 02:26 PM   #2
HotWheelsFan

Re: Tailgate band black paint sheen

Satin black or a semi-gloss style paint has always been what looks normal to me. Some brands of paint will have different amounts of gloss and some brands will even have more than one choice of gloss to choose from. With my experience, the more you wash and wax a vehicle, the shinier a finish would get, so flat black is not what I would use, And likewise, a part used on the outside of a vehicle would (in my opinion) not be flat for ease of cleaning and less of a chance to be stained by road grime.

As for originality and correctness, I will leave that open to those who know better than myself.

Bob
HotWheelsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 02:32 PM   #3
douce48

Thanks for the viewpoint Bob.

I agree, flat paint would show to much road/outside staining I'm thinking.
I just painted the band yesterday and like house paint, I'm thinking a couple days to fully cure?

And satin to one company may not be the same with another for sure.

Hoping someone has the GM insight to OEM sheen. I have a whole truck I may do, lol.
Old 11-18-2023, 03:18 PM   #4
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

Lightbulb Re: Tailgate band black paint sheen

I've always used SEM "Trim Black". It seems to have an authentic finish for exterior trim and emblems.
1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration in progress...

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 41k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 60k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 03:20 PM   #5
PbFut

Hands down this is the stuff to use on any trim needing a black cover.
Attached Images

PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 06:05 PM   #6
howzzzit

Looks good to me. I actually used numerous cans of Krylon RTA9203 semi flat paint for everything in my engine compartment that is originally black Also did my tailgate band black inserts with the same paint. Name is kind of deceiving. It's not flat and has a light sheen. Just remember if it says 48 hours for a recoat believe it or you'll orange peel.

Last edited by howzzzit; 11-18-2023 at 06:25 PM.
howzzzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 08:05 PM   #7
douce48

Did some research and the Krylon paint I used also comes in "Matte" finish which has less sheen than Satin.
Thankfully left the painters tape on!

Eggshell, semi-_____, Satin, etc., each mfg has their own sheen terminology.
Hard to trust the paint can caps.

I never knew of SEM, thank you for that info.
I will look for that paint. I'm assuming O'Reilly's or other car parts places sells it.
Old 11-18-2023, 08:32 PM   #8
jocko

I used the exact same sheen (exact paint, actually) for the same trim. Had the same impression as you but I think it's pretty darn close - it helps to look at it outside after a few days. I'm interested to see how your matte and satin compare in side by side photos if you go the matte route (or SEM route). By my recollection, the SEM, which is a very good paint, had about the same satin sheen, but it's been awhile.

EDIT: here's a youtube that compares the Krylon sheens. Start at 3:14. To me, the matte looks a little "too" flat. But still kinda hard to say.

Last edited by jocko; 11-18-2023 at 08:41 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 07:32 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I use Dupli-Color low gloss black engine enamel. It's perfect. I did the accent paint on my '72 GMC's grille
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 08:57 AM   #10
Joyridin

I use flat black paint, then put a satin clear coat over the top. It looks identical to the tailgate bands I have seen with black.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 09:52 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

I guess the aftermarket makes these tailgate bands with the same black as the side trim. There were no black tailgate bands from factory

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 10:47 AM   #12
douce48

Tim,
The tailgate band has two black stripe areas above and below the middle woodgrain. Note: the band shown had painters tape still on it...making it look like its all black.
I haven't removed the tape yet since I want to paint the "stripes" again in a much lower sheen. (Not sure if that answers all the black paint on the band).

I received the new GMC letters from LMC. They are impressive.

I was going to use the original letters but after removing the "rivet mount" there is really no way to mount them securely.
I could do Muddyweld someday to add to the letter post mounts.
Being a K2500, any bump I go over is going to test the original letters to stay on (if I used, ie: double side tape, JB Weld, etc.)
Attached Images