The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2023, 10:54 PM   #1
Madipie03

Looking for photos and info on aux tank

I’m looking for any photos or info to put this all back with auxiliary tank. It’s a 1970 K20 Thanks
Attached Images

Madipie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 03:29 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Looking for photos and info on aux tank

I've got a tank out back but it is probably junk now. Looking at your photos again if that one doesn't have holes in the bed floor for the filler neck, breather hose and bolts to hold the tank in it had a different style of tank in it. Meaning that the tank I have went under the bed and the filler and breather hoses ran down inside the bedside with a stamped steel cover over them.

I was looking on my photobucket for a picture of the tank because I have an inch of snow on the ground and probably won't make it around to where the tank is anytime soon.

Here I found them in an album I labled as Truck info.
URL=https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/w71/mr48chev/Truck%20info/.highres/008-1.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds][/URL]

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 12-01-2023 at 03:40 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 07:10 PM   #3
Orange Crate

My tank looks exactly like mr48chev, but here are a few of the filler neck before I took everything apart for paint. This option is on my SPID along with the Custom Camper and heavy rear springs. If you have an assembly manual all these parts are shown and the installation too.
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2023, 07:56 PM   #4
best view

That’s the nl2 tank in that picture that is what you need to start , very hard to find , that tank looks fine to me that can be saved
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 11:13 PM   #5
67RS/SSx2

Do a search on here for nl2 aux tank. Several recent threads about it.
1972 Chevy C10 Cheyenne Super (sold)
1984 Chevy Silverado C20 crew cab (bought new by my uncle, in the family until I sold it)
67RS/SSx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 11:54 AM   #6
PbFut

The above photos are all correct original parts. Factory only did driver side tanks as far as I know. The right side tanks are aftermarket. The filler neck is hard to find but the neck for a 70s Suburban will work with just some minor tweaks. Most right side tanks will not have the filler and vent tube in the position needed to mirror the factory filler neck. I took the extra tube length of the suburban filler and used it on a tank given to me. Then cut the holes in bed floor and sides. Looks factory. The inside of bed cover is available and can be used on either side. Can't recall source.
I could not tell if your bed has holes. The side filler hole looks high to me but could be angle of the camera. I have the fillers exposed while I work on damaged bed rails right now. I'll take a few photos for you later. Last thing is the mount hardware. They are reproduced by small machine shop at 50 bucks each. I welded a rod connector to a washer used to hold grinding wheels to a grinder shaft. Diameter slightly larger but looks and functions very close to original. Restoring the tanks and getting everything needed was a fun project.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 02:34 PM   #7
PbFut

As promised. Some Photos. Seems like the factory hole is lower then OP original photo. I also took a shot at the factory plate that covers a rubber insulation pad so water is not dripping on the tank all the time. Note if one of the hoses is damaged and the bed fills with water, it can allow water into the tank. My tank had not been used in years. It had a few gallons of water in it. Lots of rust. I cut access hole and sandblasted inside. Then used a tank sealer kit. Result was very good. The last photo is of the inside of tank when I started.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2023, 02:38 PM   #8
PbFut

More pics. Tanks are done and installed. Work great.
Second photo is of the Suburban Filler neck. It's not a perfect match to our original but close enough to make work with little changes. It is behind the covers so not a issue for me. Sorry it rotated somehow.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2023, 08:26 PM   #9
best view

72 blazer filler tube is a correct fit and his hole does look high
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 08:52 PM   #10
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crate View Post
My tank looks exactly like mr48chev, but here are a few of the filler neck before I took everything apart for paint. This option is on my SPID along with the Custom Camper and heavy rear springs. If you have an assembly manual all these parts are shown and the installation too.

Our 68 has the same filler for a rear tank