The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2023, 09:24 AM   #1
AU Doc

Lowering Kit Recommendations

I'm looking for a lowering kit for a '68 C10. In the past I've used ECE, but now that they are out of business I'm not sure where to look.

Recommendations are much appreciated!
AU Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 09:53 AM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Lowering Kit Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Doc View Post
I'm looking for a lowering kit for a '68 C10. In the past I've used ECE, but now that they are out of business I'm not sure where to look.

Recommendations are much appreciated!
You didn't provide a lot of information so I didn't conduct an indepth search..

Summit has a very good selection of dropped spindles for the front. Shorter springs or lowering blocks can be used on the rear.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...rop%20spindles
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 10:45 AM   #3
AU Doc

ECE used to make this super simple, so I was hoping there is another company that has filled that gap.

I'm looking for a 4/6 drop, six lug, power disc brake conversion. I would like a tested combination with all the parts rather than an ebay kit that I'm going to be struggling to find missing nuts/bolts/etc. and dealing with poor quality components.

CPP seems to be the closest thing I've found to checking all the boxes, but I don't have any experience with them.
AU Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:18 AM   #4
Jason Banks

The closest I have seen to what ECE was is azproperformance.com I'd call them and see what they would recommend for what you want to do.

As I type this I wonder if any of the board vendor sponsors fit the bill, seems like most of them are focused on restoration parts and not necessarily drop kits. I'll have a look and report back.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:30 AM   #5
Jason Banks

I didn't see any of the board vendors that looked like they totally fit the bill. Here a link to the list: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showgroups.php

azproperformance.com is a CPP reseller I'm pretty sure, and they may recommend some of their parts, not sure.

My experience with CPP is spotty at best. Some of their stuff works great! But, other things don't seem to be completely thought out. I had emailed them about a problem with a rear sway bar kit and and they were not great and pretty dismissive about how to fix.

edit to add: Another product of theirs that I think I will try a different brand next time is their rear drop springs. They seem soft for my liking. It may just be me, but I'm going to try a different brand next time. Well crap, while I'm at it, their front sway bar interfered with the factory tie rod sleeves and I ended up having to the the CPP tie rod sleeves to correct. I have their spindles on 2 trucks and they are great. I also have the CPP 6 lug rotors and backing plates on one and they are great too.
Old 12-05-2023, 11:49 AM   #6
samert111

I lowered my 68 C10 with just CPP 3/5 lowering springs. This didn't affect my front suspension other than needing an alignment. I was able to use the stock shock length on the front without re-locating the upper mounts. I did have to cut down the front and rear bump stops to keep the suspension from bottoming out.

On the rear I had to re-locate the shock mounting because the current mounts allowed the rear shocks to lay too flat if you lower more than 3 or 4 inches and essentially making them ineffective. I ended up using the No Limit rear shock relocation kit and really like the improved handling with the rear shocks moved to behind the rear axle and outside the frame rails. This along with the CPP front sway bar kit the truck handles much better and I really like the stance on the stock size 15" wheels and 235/70R15 tire.

You could do 4/6 drop springs but you may run into problems in the rear bottoming out without notching the frame and possibly front alignment issues unless you use drop spindles along with 2" drop springs.

Edit: I actually tried 2" drop springs in the front and wanted just a bit more and I was having problems with the springs nesting correctly in the upper spring pocket and rubbing on the upper opening. I noticed on the OEM springs the ends of the coils lined up with each other and the CPP springs were 180 degrees off. This caused the problems with the upper nesting correctly because the end of the spring forms a "D" shape that matches the shape of the centering boss in the upper mount. So I cut 1/2 of the lower coil so the cut ends of the springs were in line and that solved the problems plus gave me the additional 1" drop I was looking for.

So, if you go the lowering spring route in the front make note that if the coil ends are inline with one another. If not the upper spring will not nest correctly.
Attached Images

Last edited by samert111; 12-05-2023 at 12:05 PM.
samert111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 12:12 PM   #7
67C10Step

It might help knowing how low you are wanting to go front/rear. My truck is 2.5/4 static drop. Rear shock relocation, adjustable trac bar, 4" drop progressive rate springs, and shorter bump stops in the rear. Front is CPP 2.5" drop spindles with new, stock height springs. I'd really like the front 1/2"-1" lower, but have not tackled that yet.
Attached Images

2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 01:30 PM   #8
Accelo

I saw a front brake conversion kit made by CPP installed on a local truck. It looked great, as it had the large rotors not the anemic stock diameters like most kits. It included the lowering spindle. It was priced very well compared to Wilwood brakes which are $2200 to $2600 just for the brakes.
Although the CPP catalog, of brake parts, is confusing as heck to me.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 05:19 AM   #9
68ls1

I have the Ridetech Street Grip installed on mine. Could not be happier, anyone who has driven it, is very surprised on how nice it is. I also added a Porterbuilt inner frame stiffener (this makes a big difference), and a AGR steering box, running on 18" wheels
Name:  C10 in Hastings copy.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  88.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2063.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  50.8 KB
68ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 09:27 AM   #10
cj847

68ls1, do you get more looks because you drive an old truck or because the steering wheel is on the wrong side?
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 09:32 AM   #11
67 twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
68ls1, do you get more looks because you drive an old truck or because the steering wheel is on the wrong side?
What are you talking about?
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 01:12 PM   #12
cj847

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 twins View Post
What are you talking about?
he's from Australia.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 05:29 PM   #13
68ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
Definitely because it is an old truck. Lots of thumbs up.
There are a lot of left hand drive cars here.
I once heard that Western Australia, had more 1st gen Camaros per population, than anywhere else in the world (mining boys and their toys)
68ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 08:43 PM   #14
raggedjim

I got my last kit from Speedway Motors, not sure who the original manufacturer was. Should be installing it soon.

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 09:36 PM   #15
Jason Banks

Mining Boys and their toys mirrors the Texas Oil Field workers and their toys. So many $100k trucks running around, with aftermarket wheels and other customization...