The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2004, 04:49 PM   #1
mister.freeze

have a seat!

mister.freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 12:15 PM   #2
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Those seat belt's are not safe!!!!!!!!

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 01:54 PM   #3
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Why did you use that chain link instead of just bolting the belts down?
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:18 AM   #4
mister.freeze

seatbelts

Those harnesses are out of a Blackhawk helicopter and rated to 7G's. I used the link so that I could take them out easier, should I need to for whatever reason. Those tie-down points is welded to the floor, and the whole system exceeds current standard seatbelt specs.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:39 PM   #5
LeRoy
Registered truck nut

I think he's refering to the shoulder harnesses bolting to the floor. They should be bolted shoulder height. As you have them, you'll break both your collar bones in a wreck
Old 01-19-2004, 12:46 PM   #6
mister.freeze

That may be true. I don't know much about the geometry. I installed them for use in case of rollover: on the street, I have my 6" pipe bumpers and the lap-belt portion, like the originals.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:40 PM   #7
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by LeRoy
I think he's refering to the shoulder harnesses bolting to the floor. They should be bolted shoulder height. As you have them, you'll break both your collar bones in a wreck
And quite possibley you back iff they don't slide off your broken shoulders in the first place.

I am in no way trying to be disrespectfull just educate on the proper and safe way to set that up.

If your going to the floor then you need to use a seat designed for that type of instalation that has the belt slots at shoulder hight.

Put a roll bar in with a cross bar no less then 3 inches lower then the average driver and passengers shoulders. You can still go to the floor just go over the pipe. I still think those seats are not going to work propery with that style belt because of the width up at shoulder area. It would be better with a cross bar to keep them up but still going to let the person come out from under the belts.

They really need to be just wider then neck and come down to the center below the hips to be most effective. Right now after they break colar bones and back the shoulders will fold backand they will come out. It's actaully going to cause more injury then just a lap belt alone would.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 02:04 PM   #8
mister.freeze

I'm sure you're right. Recaro seats with slots would do me a lot of good. The shoulder belts don't slide down when I wear them, and do a good job of pulling me DOWN. In addition to the collarbone and shoulder issues, there's the submarine effect: These are 4 point harnesses. I hope nobody knows all this stuff from personal experience! I could put in a cross piece and all that, but that really restricts access to the back seat. This is a daily driver, and folks do get in and out of the back. If this was a full-time offroad rig, I'd have a full roall cage and plenty of better places to mount things. I did what I could with what I had and it seems to work. If I was upside down I wouldn't hit my head, and that's the point. Now If someone wants to DONATE some Recaros, I'd be more than happy to modify my setup. Thanks for all the concern, though. I am trying to figure out a good way to keep them positioned for easier access, maybe some loops sewn to the seats to keep them where I can reach them.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:09 PM   #9
Grim Reaper

Yeah I understand the fights. I have 2 kids and even with my 75 being mostly a trail truck it's just not been practical to have a cross bar. I added a shoulder tab on the roll bar and went with three points out of a 79 K5. It's worked out but I'm to the point where it's just a matter of time before this truck ends up on it's lid Need better belts.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote