The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Got my Eastwood Poweder Coat Kit today... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=511357)

gofastnut 02-27-2012 01:59 PM

Got my Eastwood Poweder Coat Kit today...

I was really happy opening up the box and checking out the stuff.
And then it happened. I was flipping through the magazine that came with it and found the same kit(1 more powder) on sale for $99!:cuss::mad:

So I called em. Got this chap named Rob-british accent. Told him my sad story :waah: and waited to see what he had to say.

He put me on hold for a minute, then came back and said I had a $50 credit! :ben::bann:
I didn't really care about 1 more color, I was kinda miffed about the 50 bucks, so now I've got $50 more to spend! :metal:
Probably buy a starter soda blaster kit to go with my starter media blaster kit.

Anyone in Sacramento area have a good, free electric oven?

Glorybound13 02-29-2012 04:57 PM

Re: Got my Eastwood Poweder Coat Kit today...

That's some pretty good customer service there. Definitely let us know how it works. I've been interested in that kit to do some of the brackets and all on my truck. Good luck!

gofastnut 03-02-2012 06:26 PM

I'm building a DIY (read cheap) Blast cabinet. I'll post pics of the cabinet and something I've powdercoated when I'm done. Right now work, school and my daughter's 4th grade California Mission project are taking up ALOT of my time.
I'll keep ya posted.

zicc1835 03-04-2012 04:41 AM

i got the kit a while ago picked up an old elec oven havnt tried it yet i will be interested to see how you do ....i will stay tuned or post when i get around to trying my hand at it

blazer2007 03-04-2012 11:39 AM

was wondering if you could use a toaster oven for small jobs

zicc1835 03-05-2012 12:37 AM

at first you made me laugh actually a big smile i thinks thats a great idea get a grill thermometer and see if will get to 400 degrees and stay there...why didnt it think of that:smoke:

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazer2007 (Post 5229221)
was wondering if you could use a toaster oven for small jobs

Notch1988 03-05-2012 12:54 AM

My neighbor uses a toaster oven for his small snowmobile parts. Seems to work just fine.

gofastnut 03-05-2012 03:23 PM

OK, All I've got is a toaster oven, and it's small, but I'll post a couple of pics later.

gofastnut 03-05-2012 04:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So here's what I've got:
You can see the custom made hanging device I gabbed up using a ball pein hammer stuck in the end of the hyd jack handle.
The first coat I applied to the puller was only about 1.5 psi-perfect for little parts. Then I went up to the recommended 8 psi and wound up using alot more powder and making alot more dust. which just blows right off BTW. The pic of my fat hand holding the puller is trying to show the lack of coverage in the "crotch" of the V. I would hang it how I'm holding it if I did another one. The key is for my saturn. I put some foil around it and dusted it. I used a 13/16" socket, stuck the key in the 3/8 drive hole and shimmed it up with a wad of foil. You can also see my "Custom Deluxe" toaster oven that I used. It's about 9"W x 6"D x 3.5"H. I had to lay the puller center down on the rack in it, so now I've got a couple of bare spots where it touched the grate.

gofastnut 03-05-2012 04:39 PM

Oh, I took the puller out after the 20 min @400 deg, hung it back up and coated it again. It came out mucho smooth-o, or as some would say "Smoother than mules lips". I didn't prep the metal finish wise, except to clean off the rust and wipe it with acetone.
I've got to get a better set-up, which requires a clean garage and a bigger oven. I'm gonna make a hanging stand out of some old 1" pipe & fittings I've got laying around.
I've already got people wanting me to coat stuff, and I'm not really set up yet!!

GMR-PERFORMANCE 03-05-2012 08:01 PM

I use a home oven that I bought for 100 bucks works great. Get your self some heavy wire to make a few hooks. I have seen a few guys build a home srpay booth with 20 twenty inch box fans a couple of 2 buck screens for your home heating system and a bow fridge box. I was shocked at how good it really worked. Some PVC and sheeting will get the job done and some racks to hang parts.

I can tell you metal prep is the very important for a great gloss finish. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN parts, pre heat to cook off anything that wants to pop to the surface. Let it cool while the oven stays hot get the metal down to a temp where the powder does not melt , but it will stick like a mother for you.

I have done tons of stuff on my truck, the intake, valve covers, rear diff covers, upper and lower a arms, ..if you can fit it into the oven it gets PC'D .. Super tough finish that will last much longer than paint.

shoooter 03-05-2012 09:08 PM

where did you get this kit for 100 bucks? what brand?

Dieselwrencher 03-05-2012 09:41 PM

I think I'm going to have to get one of these now too!

gofastnut 03-05-2012 10:56 PM

Re: Got my Eastwood Powder Coat Kit today...

It's from Eastwood. They've got a sale in the front inside cover of their little sales flyer. The $150 kit is on sale for $99. The only difference is you don't get to pick your powders.
GMR PERFORMANCE I can't put hooks in this cute lil toaster, but I'm trying to get something bigger lined up that I can use, so I won't have bare spots on something that's coated both sides.

GMR-PERFORMANCE 03-06-2012 10:33 AM

If you can get some scap stell and put slef tappers through it you can coat the side you dont see HA HA carefully pick it up and flip it over and then coat the other side. Home ovens are cheap most go for 50-100 bucks. You dont need anything fancy.

cannaert 03-06-2012 03:36 PM

SWEET DEAL. I need to go order on of them kits and some flat black powder so I can do a bunch of bike parts for another little project I got going on.

Good to know they are cool about stuff like that at Eastwood.

shoooter 03-06-2012 04:51 PM

Do you have a website for this company?
Posted via Mobile Device

gofastnut 03-06-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoooter (Post 5234680)
Do you have a website for this company?

Here you go:
http://www.eastwood.com

Look under the tab "Powdercoating", then look to the left margin, it's listed out as "kits", "powders", etc.

Weasel Diesel 04-27-2012 09:29 PM

I have the little eastwood kit and love it. I am getting ready to do my rims now. I have been practicing with it coating all sorts of stuff. My wife says my shop is too colorful now. I told her move on cause she'd look good in Chevrolet Orange.

Leonard1 04-28-2012 11:01 PM

If you check out ebay, Eastwood has the gun only listed for $59.99 with free shipping.

gofastnut 04-05-2013 03:02 PM

So, two moves and A LOT of stuff later, I'm still just getting my powdercoating together. I just got 220volts wired into the garage, so I'll see shortly.

hyatt 04-05-2013 03:27 PM

I bought one of these several years back Powercoated engine brackets,pulleys door and hood hinges valvecovers etc Works great

gofastnut 04-07-2013 09:36 PM

That's my goal, hyatt.

Sammy 04-08-2013 08:16 AM

Check Craigslist for a oven. I see them all the time for free after getting a replacement they just want them gone n not pay for them to disappear.

gofastnut 04-08-2013 12:14 PM

Appreciate the tip, Sammy!