View Single Post
Old 05-03-2023, 11:50 PM   #365
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Good day today, my A/C is charged. Kind of cool, I've owned the truck 34 years and the A/C hasn't been operational until today.

One thing I learned from building this truck is best to save as many o-rings as possible for last, at least in this climate. They had to replace all the AC o-rings, I had a feeling they would, the a/c was built a year or so ago. I greased the rings and tighten everything snug, figuring to let the experts tighten the nuts. Oh well. $450 on top I don't know, 3K to restore the rest of the AC from the evap core to condenser.

Polished these up today too, they came out super I was going to replace the decals, but one is as good as new; the other has mileage I can live with. Trying to decide on tires, the painter has the wheels and caps are ready. Leaning on these but kind of expensive.
https://www.performanceplustire.com/...1:ts:23575-15/

Did I mention I have a 4th radiator to install yet? Yeah I'm pretty good at it now Yeah sure, the first two were junk. Then what you'd expect to be a nice one leaked, and after installing their replacement I realized they installed the filler WRONG, wtf? Cap jacked up the finish on a radiator bracket, so WTH, now I have two sets of upper radiator brackets to have powdered somehow, another do-over, gross. My FIFTH attempt at a radiator is currently being built, they promise the A-team this time

My bumpers are in Fresno, I'm crossing my fingers. $1700ish. Other then that the seat is pending, door cosmetics and flooring are pending that, and I'll install the grilles someday, declare her done.

Oh yeah, speak of radiator brackets, for curiosity and another option, I bought a pair of NOS upper brackets. Part number matches the book. I had to bend the bracket's top nearest the shroud quite a bit, almost flat. The brackets come raised, and miss the shroud's holes by 3/8" or so, - same for reproductions. I don't get it beyond it's a great fit all the way around to bend them right. If that's what the factory was working with, then that could explain why so many shrouds were fitted wrong. At least for BBC, probably 4-row radiators (A/C), where many were struck by the fan at the bottom because they were off the bottom clips. The original shrouds don't lie, but the brackets sure seem too, at least for a 4 row radiator. Heck, the factory didn't even install one of my lower brackets right. 4 row requires a simple mod of the core support, but they only did one side.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 05-04-2023 at 01:03 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote