The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #15
roger55

Re: what paint to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
also: before oem started using bc/cc vehicles looked dingy after 7 years, paint degraded as it left the factory
now you see rusted out hulks that have perfect bc/cc in the good areas
I agree but I don't think any of the American cars used acrylic urethane then. Some were acrylic enamel and some were still acrylic lacquer. I think GM still used acrylic lacquer well into the '80s. In the mid 80's they were starting to use some kind of water based single-staged paints but not acrylic urethane. In the 80s and 90s the American car makers were experimenting a lot with paints to deal with new regulations. Some of those didn't work out too well. With some of the early bc/cc cars, the clear would peel off after not too many year of being in the sun. We've all seen a bunch of cars from that era do that.

IMO, today, a quality acrylic urethane single-stage will last as well as an equal quality base/clear in urethane.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote