The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2002, 02:22 PM   #1
Riptide

Question 350 oOd's inplant

I am in the process of doing a heart transplant on my 67 Chevy C10. I’m going to be replacing the 283 with a 350 Old’s. I’m keeping the three speed trainy so I’m aware of the flywheel I need to make the power connection along with the trainy plate. However I would like to find out any feed back anyone may have or if by chance someone has made this swap before what kinds of surprises I’ll be in for. Any help you gurus may give me will be appreciated.

------------------
67 Chevy C10

"Remember Don't Sweat the Petty Things, Pet the Sweaty Things"
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 02:45 PM   #2
69 longhorn

You will be in for a big suprise! If your olds didnt have a stick from the factory,the crank wont be drilled for the pilot bushing. Also there wernt many sticks,so a cheap flywheel is hard to find. Best bet would be to set up a 350 turbo.....69 longhorn.
Old 04-09-2002, 03:28 PM   #3
Riptide

As fare as the 350 olds with a stick they weren’t offered in many cars. However the block is the same as the diesel motor. I have located a flywheel for and Old’s motor at the tune of $250.00. The techs at summit have assured me that the combination of the BOP plate and the flywheel it should bolt up to any 350 or 455 olds. It is my understanding that the cranks are all balanced the same if you know different please let me know.

------------------
67 Chevy C10

Old 04-09-2002, 04:21 PM   #4
69 longhorn

Yes, it is my understanding that you can swap flywheels,with the exception of the 330,early 400,& the 425(these had a different bolt pattern). I think you will also find the starter is on the opposite side of the block as compaired to a chev(you will need a BOP bell housing),and as stated before ,the only cranks that were drilled for the pilot bushing were designated for stick cars(unless you are real lucky)....69
Old 04-09-2002, 04:33 PM   #5
Riptide

I do not know if mine is drilled for a pilot bearing. I have the Motor (350) alreay on the engine stand. How would I know if it is drilled? I think that it is cuped. I took the motor out of my grandprix which was not the orginal moter because I replaced the 301 with it and it had a turbo 350 behind it. As for the old bell housing on the turbo the starter sat on the driver side. I did not know if I would have to use the starter I had on the truck or the one out of the car. I really want to keep the three on the tree. Becvause I would like to give it to my son when he is old enought to drive 15 years from now and there won't be any around by then it seems.

[This message has been edited by Riptide (edited April 09, 2002).]

Old 04-09-2002, 05:12 PM   #6
69 longhorn

ok, here goes.....I have a 455 stick crank,it has a 2 step bore in the pilot area. The top measures 1.700,& the bottom is drilled smaller for the pilot bushing(1.360 eyeball measure,calipers wouldnt reach). The olds & chevy ring gears are different,chev 14 1/8" dia,168 tooth. Olds ,a shade under 14",& 166 tooth. Also where the starter mounts on the chev bell,it will be in the way of the olds oilfilter& adaptor(Im sure you will need a BOP bell). If you really want that stick, it can be done. I set one up several yrs ago,& it involved having a special pilot bushing made to fit the crank,sawing about 1/2 of the pilot off the input shaft,& countersinking the back side of the bushing for clearance on the shoulder of the input shaft. It worked out,but always made me worry,as there was only about 3/8" of the input shaft running on the bushing. Good luck .....69 longhorn.
Old 04-09-2002, 05:39 PM   #7
Riptide

Smile

Well let me ask you this then. If I were to put a 350 auto in, would I be better off using a Chevy or the BOP? What kind of trainy mount problems would I have with either? I realize if I use the BOP I will have to cut the drive shaft and re-weld the BOP spline adapter. Will I have to cut the drive shaft if I put the Chevy trainy in? The hole deal about this is I bought this truck and have been fixing it up and I already have the old's 350 motor which has about $4000.00 in it. I believe that motor will do very good in there and I can get my wife of my a$$ about having the motor and not wanting to sell it. Thanks again about all the help.

Old 04-09-2002, 05:47 PM   #8
69 longhorn

The easiest would be a BOP trans. You can run a chev trans,with a plate(the bottom holes & dowl pins line up,but the rest of the bolts dont(adapt plate is about $50 through summit racing). There was also a universal 350 t that would bolt to either(had 10 bolts ,I think). There are 3 different lenghts on the 350 hydro,6",9",& 12?,but our trucks take the short tail trans.......69
Old 04-09-2002, 06:31 PM   #9
Riptide

Any ideas were I can get a BOP turbo 350 with a short tail shaft for a good price? also am I going to need to to do some work for a trany mount?

Old 04-09-2002, 06:50 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Tranny mount should be the same. I have a BOP TH350 in my Longhorn, and a Chevy TH350 in my GMC, let me know if you need anything particular compaired. It is fixin to rain right now, but tomorow I plan on messin with both of them...it'll be awsome weather, and I'll be off of work.

------------------
'69 G.M.C. 350/350. Trying to clean up the left over damage from the Dope-Smokin-Old-Man
I've been dubbed the Longhorn Freak/Fanatic/Expert, I just hope I can live up to it.
FINALLY got the HORNIAC...a '70 one ton Longhorn with a Pontiac 350/350 and lots of 'personality'. Check out The Longhorn Webite.
If you need a pic posted, E-mail me at longhornmail@yahoo.com
Andy, in Columbus Ohio

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 06:59 PM   #11
69 longhorn

you will need to knock out the crossmember that was under the bellhousing,& pick up an auto crossmember for the truck. I would use the trans mount for the truck also. the first thing will be to get the eng to locate (front to back)where everything clears. I would worry about the drive shaft last. I ran a 455 in my longhorn,& used a set of 73 up stands(truck),& deisel mounts & brackets. this combo did sit a little high on the nose,& none of the brackets were a bolt in(bubble level & weld). I think if you can find a set of 72BB stands,then use an olds car mount & bracket,you can get the nose height down a little. On the driveshaft,if you have to shorten,its pretty cheap,but to lenghten gets expensive! .......69
Old 04-09-2002, 07:03 PM   #12
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I was thinkin the cros member would be the same from a chevy auto to the bop auto...forgot bout the 3 speed that is in there....sorry.

------------------
'69 G.M.C. 350/350. Trying to clean up the left over damage from the Dope-Smokin-Old-Man
I've been dubbed the Longhorn Freak/Fanatic/Expert, I just hope I can live up to it.
FINALLY got the HORNIAC...a '70 one ton Longhorn with a Pontiac 350/350 and lots of 'personality'. Check out The Longhorn Webite.
If you need a pic posted, E-mail me at longhornmail@yahoo.com
Andy, in Columbus Ohio

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 07:11 PM   #13
Riptide

Thanks for all the help. It look like it's off to the bone yard for some searching.

Old 04-10-2002, 08:27 PM   #14
Riptide

Smile

69 Longhorn: I went out and checked the 350 old's it is drilled for a pilot bearing I believe. The back of the crank is bored to a diameter. It has a front hole dept of .770 and then steps to a .770. So I believe I am in luck, I think all I should need to complete the switch is a BOP bell housing, the old's flywheel, and pilot bearing. In addition, a set of 67-72 BB motor mounts supports, to weld the old's 350 one's too.

Old 04-10-2002, 08:29 PM   #15
69 longhorn

is the depth close to 1 3/4"?
Old 04-10-2002, 08:33 PM   #16
Desert Rat

with a conversion like that dont bother to try to find the 72 BB ones hard to find and expensive.If your gonna go thru all the trouble anyway you might as well modify 73 style,you can get those at anyjunkyard for almost nothing.I have a set out of a 73 454 1/2 truck id sell for $25,need rubber mounts,i put new ones on my 79 there only like $7 ea.there the same on the 72 style BB mounts.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 07:56 AM   #17
69 longhorn

73 up stands,with an Olds car mount & bracket. the combo does sit a little high on the nose,& required raising the trans also,to get angles right.....455 powered longhorn...
Old 04-11-2002, 08:31 AM   #18
Riptide

Talking

Sorry about that, Yes It does step down an addition .667 from the first step off . The total dept is like 1.435. I had a few beers last night and forgot to put the additional step in my message. Nice inplant in the pic how did it run? You said yuo had to raise the trainy and the motor up, does the hood shut?

Old 04-11-2002, 08:55 AM   #19
69 longhorn

The olds ran good,but got about 7mpg. She would lite up the tires @ 60mph going into pass gear! I didnt have any hood clearance problems,just had to adjust the fan shroud height for clearance. There were also issues with floor pan clearance(400 T),but you shouldnt have any trouble with the stick trans. If you still have the eng in the truck,you might mount an auto crossmember& trans mount before you pull it,then you will be located for the drive line. Good luck.....69 longhorn.
Old 04-11-2002, 06:11 PM   #20
imaindianoutlaw
GMC SHORT FLEET F/S

cant you bolt the olds engine mounts right to the crossmember?

------------------
Charles W. Hein
S. Williamsport PA

imaindianoutlaw@yahoo.com

REFRIGERATION TECH

1971 Rolling chassis

FOR SALE
1963 Pontiac Tempest
1965 Pontiac GTO
1956 Pontiac 2 dr

HVACR FOREMAN.
LEWISBURG U.S.P.
imaindianoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 04:04 AM   #21
69 longhorn

Any of the cutlass bodys that I looked at didnt have enough height on the stand to bolt to the crossmember. You might be able to find a set of stands from a mid to late 60s 88 or 98 that would have enough height to bolt down or weld to the crossmember.....most of that early stuff has long since been sent to the crusher in my area.......69 longhorn.