The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2002, 12:57 AM   #1
Dropt72Shortbed

to primer or to paint? need some input!

i have a full orange 67 clip sitting in my garage, 2 extra new raw black fenders and extra straight white grille. i need the space and id like to get the current front clip of my truck so i can start selling the pieces off.

now heres the problem. im pretty sure the new fenders i bought need to be protected with primer or something of the sorts right? theyre just plain black sheet metal right now. i also dont want to have a silver cab/bed , black fenders, white grille and orange hood. so ive come up with the following choices.

1. just rattle can primer all the new parts and throw it on. i live in southern california, not much rain or anything, would i need to worry about the rattle can primer not protecting from rust? this route would obviously be the cheapest

2. take the parts to a body shop and have them spray some good epoxy primer etc and then reassemble it myself. this may be the most expensive in the long run since id be paying to have a body shop primer the full front end then in a year or so id be bringing it back for a real paintjob.

3. do it all right the first time and detail my full engine compartment, and take all the front end parts as well as inner fenders and core support to a body shop and have them paint everything black (gonna end up painting the whole truck black) this would save me the time of assembling everything ONLY once and would probably be cheaper in the long run compared to choice 2. whaddya guys think about hvaing only half a truck painted at once though?

whaddya guys think i should do?
Dropt72Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 01:40 AM   #2
bigvinnie

you're much better off doing it right the first time, using some sort of sealer primer.... I think you can get it in rattle cans, but a better solution would be if someone on the board who lives close had a compressor and a spray gun to spray the parts for you.

This would allow you to have it done right and save you some bucks in the process.... I'm in escondido and I'd gladly spray your parts for you if you wanna haul em down here...

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 07:11 AM   #3
Huck

I am not aware of any spray can primer that seals the metal from moisture. So, cheepie spray can priming is nice to get the truck all one color but that's about it. You could spray the inner parts of the new fenders with a decent rustoloum type sealer paint then some undercoating in critical areas and assemble. The final paining could then be put off a while. Most painters prefer painting a car/truck assembled as that way then can get the color/texture/finish even. The outer skin in primer looks kind of cool anyway--IMHO!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 10:44 AM   #4
XXL
Seņor Member

"Rattle can" primer, as well as other non-sealer primers are not only not good at sealing from moisture, they actually trap moisture. These products have a highly pourous surface, so any water is sucked in and trapped against the metal.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 01:59 PM   #5
Tuck

If the black primer on the fenders is E coat you will be fine to just primer.

but you must primer or topcoat the E coat will brake down from the UV rays in the sun and chalk the ecoat off.

Look under your new cars there is no paint or primer on them just the Ecoat from the factory.
this stuff is tough. along as it doesnt see the sun.
Tuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 03:03 PM   #6
Dropt72Shortbed

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuck
If the black primer on the fenders is E coat you will be fine to just primer.

but you must primer or topcoat the E coat will brake down from the UV rays in the sun and chalk the ecoat off.

Look under your new cars there is no paint or primer on them just the Ecoat from the factory.
this stuff is tough. along as it doesnt see the sun.
is this E coat just the flat black the body parts usually come in? im not sure it looks like primer. when i bought new sheet metal for my 01 blazer after being rearended it came the same color.
Dropt72Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 09:41 PM   #7
paintpyro

Dropt, yeah, that black coating is ecoat, it generally just enough to keep from rusting in the wharehouse or while being shipped, its not very durable. I got a compressor if you decide you want to try sprayin. Also, let me know if you decide to let some early sheetmetal go, I'm interested in the 67-68 nose swap myself.
rallys and BFGs
-We can rebuild it, we have the technology-lower,shinier,faster
paintpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 10:01 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I agree with doing it right if you have the $$ right now.
However, if you are a little thin on the greenbacks, you can get Dupli-Color that is a priomer and a sealer.
And it will hold up to the elements.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote