The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2005, 05:21 PM   #1
Hazieview
Building Dreams out of Dimes!

Fat 50s on the '66!

I am running a '66 shortwheel bas fleetside pickup with a SB 400, 350 turbo trani, .373 posi rearend, flowmaster exhaust blah blah all that good crap. Any how, my truck has bad traction issues. I can't get my truck to hook up. It just wants to spin the tires right off the line. I figured 50s on the back would settle it down and help it catch better. Especially if your burn 'em down and get 'em hot.

I noticed that the 50s wont fit right up. It looks as if that back leaf spring will be in the way. The '65 that I pulled the wheels off of just cut off the leaf spring. In order to get the wheels to fit should I jut cut off the back leaf spring? Also my truck is dropped few inches. Any help would be appreciated. thanks!
Hazieview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:00 PM   #2
zenish

if your talking about the helper spring,it unbolts.does your truck have trailing arms or leaf springs?
2006 yamaha vino 125
1975 goldwing
zenish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:43 AM   #3
fishmunger

how wide are your tires? is your tank under the bed or in the cab? I was also wondering what mods u have done to your engine, as I have a stout 350 and was planning on switching from 3.08's to 3.73's, but don't want to go that low if traction is too bad...
fishmunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:31 PM   #4
Hazieview
Building Dreams out of Dimes!

my truck

my truck has like a half leaf spring on the back. I can see where it unbolts but the bracket that it bolts to is also in the way. Cutting the bracket would give me just enough room. MY tank is still in the cab behind the seat but I want to put it under the bed, I still haven't decided. I dont know the exact measurements of the tires, I just know they are big fat 15" 50s.

I have done a few mods to the engine. The engine is a small block 400 bored 30 over so that would make it about a small block 402. It has small blue racer RV cam in it, HEI distributor with high grade spark plug wires, some dyno tec headers (which were cheap but good quality), edelbrock intake, edelbrock 650 carb (I think) etc. etc.

The truck does have traction problems with the .373 posi rearend but it isn't AS BAD if you burn down the tires before you take off. So maybe bigger tires with a little burn out would help the traction, I'm not sure. With the stock wheels and tires that it has now, the truck's ass end will literally swing from side to side on pavement when you punch it.

Will it hurt any thing if I cut off the leaf springs in the back?

Last edited by Hazieview; 06-22-2005 at 05:16 PM.
Hazieview is offline   Reply With Quote