The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2005, 07:06 PM   #1
C10 Club Tennessee

Another who you have your insurance through thread

Hey I can't find any earlier posts and was wanting to know about this subject again. I have Nationwide on my wife's Honda and Luv's old civic, but didn't know about their coverage on classics. I also thought I might want to go with a different company on my truck.

thanks,

Bryan

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:27 PM   #2
Derrickbwg

If you are looking to carry comprehensive and collision coverage on the truck make sure that the company you write it with will do a stated value policy. If it is a normal actual cash value policy like on your wifes Honda (where depreciation is taken into account) they will try to pay you only nada or blue book values. If it's a daily driver the stated value policy allows you to put a certain dollar amount of coverage on the vehicle. As long as it turns out to be reasonable and fair market values of comparable vehicles prove that, they will pay what you have it insured for if it were a total loss or stolen. There is an Allstate agent in Greenbrier that can quote a stated value policy for you.

Last edited by Derrickbwg; 09-27-2005 at 07:30 PM.
Derrickbwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:47 PM   #3
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

And I also have ALLSTATE, they wrote a special policy just for "GQ"
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:52 PM   #4
shifty
Questionable

I see a lot of these threads and a constant name in all of them is Hagerty. They specialize in collector insurance.

http://www.hagerty.com/

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:01 PM   #5
Joe67
67 is sold

I plan to use Hagerty once my project is rolling...

Around here you can get Hagerty Insurance through Allstate

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:05 PM   #6
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10step
I plan to use Hagerty once my project is rolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10step
Around here you can get Hagerty Insurance through Allstate
Old 09-27-2005, 08:17 PM   #7
Derrickbwg

Hagerty has some very stringent rules like leisure driven only(not daily drivers)which is only slightly more use allowed than show car status with other carriers. They also have rules about the vehicle being in a completely enclosed locked storage. If you meet their requirements they have extremely affordable insurance. That's why I mentioned Daily driver and Allstate.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:42 PM   #8
Zonaman

Here's my standard post for insurance:

Classic auto insurance from an outfit like Hagerty is pretty reasonable. They insure your ride for an agreed value but they limit your mileage & use. I couldn't live with limited miles, so I had the truck appraised ($14,000.00! Surprised the Hell out of me!) and insured it with MetLife for a stated value for about $700.00 (full coverage) a year here in Phoenix. That means it starts out worth that much and depreciates from there. I'm going to get it appraised every other year or when I do something major (like the Old Air unit I just slapped on! ) to upgrade it. Least this way if it gets cubed, I can buy another one from one of you guys and start over.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:52 PM   #9
chevymaz
What are you looking at?

I have Hagerty on my 71 GMC and they require that I keep the truck in a locked garage and I had to send in proof of insurance on my other vehicles so they would know for sure that it would not be my daily driver. I also had to send in several pictures and a full description of the truck and anything that was wrong with it They did not say anything mileage. I worked thru there website www.hagerty.com

1971 GMC LWB
2005 Honda Element
2007 Honda Fit

chevymaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:57 PM   #10
masterbeavis
Having issues

Some of the classic insurance places require you, and the rest of your household to have spotless driving records. I have 2 tickets and an accident, they would not touch me with a ten foot pole.

The Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."
masterbeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:57 PM   #11
4tiresngas
An American Soldier

If you are eligible for USAA (military personnel), they are pretty good. They covered my 69 SWB Step that was stolen in Augusta, GA. I was trying to sell it for $5500 at the time, and they paid me $9200. I was pretty happy about that. I have been a customer for almost 10 years.

dan.brue@us.army.mil
4tiresngas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:32 PM   #12
llegos

i have farmers right now, just reg flat coverege. i plan to get some more once i get a lil lower rates/start fixin up the truck a lil
Old 09-27-2005, 10:05 PM   #13
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

I've been with USAA too for several years and they are good. I'm looking at one of their partner sites that insures for stated value($15,000) on the '71. They will only charge $319 a year, but once again there are limitations on mileage and storage. The name of the place is Classic Car Insurance and they are out of Chapel Hill, NJ. Still haven't decided yet if I'll go with them or not, but the regular insurance will only pay about $500 if my truck gets totalled.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:55 PM   #14
70short/step

I have Allstate and it was cheaper than any other company out there. I do have my other cars and Harley and House insured thru them and get discounts for all that. They give you replacement market value on my truck if it ever is wrecked.

70 Short/Step
70short/step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:15 AM   #15
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I use Haggerty too. I've always been happy with them.

They never said a thing about mileage limits. Never asked for an odometer reading.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:30 AM   #16
1969 C/K CST
A.K.A- Crummy

My Nationwide agent insures classics. Asked this not long ago. Will right policy at appraised value. Asked because there was a sweet Chevelle out front. And they told me they just insured it.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:44 AM   #17
Derrickbwg

This is from Hagertys website
"Usage. Hagerty covers vehicles that are used on an occasional basis -- e.g. club functions, exhibitions, organized meets, tours and limited pleasure driving."
They asked for the mileage on the truck when they wrote it. If a total loss occurs they will pay the stated amount MINUS the difference between what the premium was and what it should have been with your usage(at least thats common practice in the industry), they'll go back to the beginning of the policy as well. That can be very disappointing in some cases. Classic car and JJ best both have great rates on actual show cars. I have a 64 conv vette insured through jj. I also own an Allstate agency, so take my Allstate recommendations with a grain of salt

Last edited by Derrickbwg; 09-28-2005 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:31 AM   #18
Ackattack

I have hagerty too, $140/year with towing, $14k value, $0 deductable on collision and comp. Pretty good.

Also, I put in a new speedo (Autometer) so the mileage reset, but like others said, they don't have a mileage policy.

I have allstate for my other vehicles. I changed my formula to "pleasure vehicle" or something like that and have like a 8000 mile limit on it. They asked for the mileage when I signed up for it, but didn't ask when I renewed it...so I don't know.....didn't drive it 8000 miles though either. Saved me a little bit of money.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:09 AM   #19
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

All of my vehicles are insured with State Farm. I had stated value coverage on a '67 Impala Convertible, years ago (early-mid 80's). Had to get an appraisal from a car dealer.

Friend has coverage on his '76 Gentleman Jim GMC, with Hagerty's. They made him take his cross-bed toolbox off of the truck, before they'd insure it. Gee whiz....can't use it for work anymore. He puts less than 2000 miles per year on it.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:49 AM   #20
cgrossl

I have my 69 Camaro and my 72 Cheyenne insured through AON Collector Car Insurance. They don't have any usage restrictions. All that they require is that you keep your car or truck in a locked garage and that you have a newer vehicle for a daily driver. Insurance for my Camaro with me stating the value at $21000 is about $300 a year and my truck is about $100 a year with it valued at $6000. I haven't found a better insurance deal for classic cars yet.
cgrossl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:40 PM   #21
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrickbwg
I also own an Allstate agency, so take my Allstate recommendations with a grain of salt

I will also be swapping to probably HAGERTY when "GQ" is completed, but
for now I just can't beat ALLSTATE, it has everything to do w/ the agent
if you ask me, mine looked at "GQ" and then wrote a policy based on the
value of it currently, $15K full replacement is what I have and it states it
on my policy, BUT!!!!!! I have it listed as suspended coverage, I can not
drive it, it's in a locked garage, I have 24 hour secutiry monitoring, and it
basically just covers it against theft, fire, tornados, vandalism, etc........
BUT!!!!!! like I said I cannot drive it, this was a great source of coverage
for me while I'm getting it ready for paint, oh yea, the best part $18 year
Old 09-28-2005, 03:52 PM   #22
chevyguy_72
Vintage Evil

I am with Farm Bureau and they are the lowest for me. I have done multiple price comparisons and they always come in the lowest.
chevyguy_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:50 PM   #23
see ten
WTB this ad

I have both of my trucks insured through State Farm. I have an agreed value of 20K on the K10 and 14K on the C10. It cost about $200 per yr on the K10 and about $180 per yr on the C10. I realize that they will pay "up to" the insured amount, however anything is better than nothing. I talked to Hagerty a while back and they wouldn't do business with me since we only owned one other vehicle at the time. They said we had to have one insured vehicle per household driver that was not on a classic policy. Hagerty also wanted to double or triple my quote when they realized the truck had a lift kit on it. When I asked why they said that lifted trucks typicaly cost more to repair.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 05:35 PM   #24
Derrickbwg

Quote:
covers it against theft, fire, tornados, vandalism, etc........
Thats a good point, alot of folks think their homeowners insurance will cover a vehicle or a project in their garage if the house were to burn and that simply is not the case. GQ has the right idea that if it's a project and your state laws allow it (KY does not by the way) suspending coverage on everything except the comprehensive coverage is the way to go. With insurance every case is different. Especially since credit is used by most companies as a factor in determining rates. You can have the exact same vehicles,driving records, and household composition(same #of people and same ages) and yet there can be a HUGE difference in premiums if one has excellent credit and the other poor. So just because your buddy get s a good rate there doesn't guarantee you will. Companies like Hgaertys do not use credit(yet).

Last edited by Derrickbwg; 09-28-2005 at 05:47 PM.