The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2006, 09:38 PM   #1
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

Question Convert from Trailing arms to Leafs

Is there any reason to do this? The truck i have has coils (69 lwb), and is the first truck i've owned that has coils. My initial thought is that a leaf setup would be stronger, more reliable, and easier to lower. But after reading some of the threads here, it sounds like most people prefer coils vs leafs. Why is this?

I do have a doner truck that i could pull the entire rear end from, but am wondering if i should just stick with what i have.

also, more than likely i will be doing nothing more drastic than lowered coils and a c-notch while lowering it, but air bags may be an option. How does this come into play when making this decsion?
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:57 PM   #2
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

Re: Convert from Trailing arms to Leafs

Coils suspension is easier to lower than leafs especially if you are going to go with bags, I only prefer leafs in a truck that I'll use for towing.

How do you make the invisible, visible?.........You take it away.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:15 PM   #3
Ram-Man

I'm with you brother when I got mine and saw coils in the rear I thought, what???? Now after a little research the coils are the way to leave it in my opinion.
Ram-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:03 PM   #4
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

this thing truck will never tow anything.

So lets say i bag it. Will i still want to use the trailing arms? or should i go with a 4 link setup? If i were to stay with the arms, i'd probably beef them up a bit. Maybe buy some tubular trailing arms.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:27 AM   #5
thekid54

It depends on how low you want to go. If you want to bag it and have a moderate drop (5-6") in the rear the stock trailing arms will work just fine. I personally wouldn't waste my money on tubular ones, just reinforce your stock ones, if they even need it. The simpliest thing to do IMO is to mount bags where your stock springs are now. A lot of people on here have done it that way and probably have some pointers for ya. I'm running a 2-link with a panhard bar, similar to the stock setup, but my arms run on the outside of the frame rails.
thekid54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:31 AM   #6
Ackattack

I will be converting from leaf springs to trailing arms in the spring at the same time I convert to a short bed (just going to buy a LWB trailing arm frame) If that's any indication.

The trailing arms are supposed to be pretty good for pretty much everything. The only real advantage the leaf springs have is for heavy duty applications.

Also, I read other posts of yours and saw that you're planning to go to the strip occasionally.

Well I lowered my truck by removing 2 leafs from the rear (4 leafs now...originally 6 I think) Anyways...for normal driving its fine, but at the strip after doing a good burnout last time, I got MASSIVE wheel hop and completely sheared off one the ends of a heavy duty u-joint. This is with a stock TPI 350 w/ 3.73 gears and a 700r4 (15.9 sec ET) so not a lot of power!!!!

I think going to leaf springs would be a step backwards.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote