The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2006, 04:22 PM   #1
tbish3

Bags just on the rear?

I have a 71 Short Fleet and want to do a 4/5 drop. I plan on using drop spindles and 2" lower springs in the front. I want to still be able to tow with it on occasion so if i bagged just the rear what all would I need or should I just get 5" drop springs? The only problem with drop springs was that I didn't know if they would handle trailer weight. I figured if I bagged the rear I could adjust it for the weight. Are 2600 bags enough to handle the weight? Can I just install the bags where the coils are and just hook a compressor and switch up to adjust the weight or do I need a tank and relays and all the other stuff too? I want to do this as cheap as possible.........go figure huh? Please help me out.

Thanks
Tim
tbish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:36 PM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: Bags just on the rear?

use the 2,400 - 2,500 lb bag ... you can drill 3 holes and it will bolt right in.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
tbish3

Check out this link and let me know if these bags will work.....

http://www.airbagit-store.com/produc...rch=bagspecial

The price looks good to.....4 bags for $118.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:52 PM   #4
el curioso

i have never used them but i hear alot of complains i would and have stayed away from anithing that has to do with AIM Industries.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:23 PM   #5
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbish3 View Post
Check out this link and let me know if these bags will work.....

http://www.airbagit-store.com/produc...rch=bagspecial

The price looks good to.....4 bags for $118.
I had 4 2500lb bags from AIM on my 79 Elcamino. They were made by a company called Phoenix Bag. The bellows split where they are crimped to the caps within about six months. I used some of their hard parts (brackets and such) and they were ok but I would strongly suggest finding a different source for your bags.
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
Shane
Account Suspended

For The Love Of All That Is Good, Stay Away From Anything With The Word AIM In It!!!

Read their add very closely. Notice it says "Dealers Only - all others $69 each."

Consider yourself warned.

Now, on a more positive note: contact these guys ... they come highly recommended. www.*****************

Last edited by Shane; 10-13-2006 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:52 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
I have a 71 Short Fleet and want to do a 4/5 drop. I plan on using drop spindles and 2" lower springs in the front. I want to still be able to tow with it on occasion so if i bagged just the rear what all would I need or should I just get 5" drop springs? The only problem with drop springs was that I didn't know if they would handle trailer weight. I figured if I bagged the rear I could adjust it for the weight. Are 2600 bags enough to handle the weight? Can I just install the bags where the coils are and just hook a compressor and switch up to adjust the weight or do I need a tank and relays and all the other stuff too? I want to do this as cheap as possible.........go figure huh? Please help me out.

Thanks
Tim
Air Ride Tech actually recommends a Firestone F6957 (2150#; 6.5"dia.; 3"min height; 7"max height; 4.5~5" @ ride height) for the rear of the 64~72 coil spring trucks even if you plan to tow a load (I asked them).

However.... you can use the F6873 (3150#; 8"dia.; 3"min; 8"max; 5~6" @ ride height) w/o any problems (they will definitely handle the load & are overkill). Use these w/a 2" block & you should need about 40psi of pressure for a decent ride unloaded & then bump it up to 60psi once you need the capacity increased. And yes.... it rides good loaded or not.

The above mentioned combo will net about 7" of drop; less if you bump the unloaded air pressure up a little bit.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 10-13-2006 at 11:52 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:51 AM   #8
tbish3

Ok, OK, JUST SAY NO TO AIM!! I get it. Ok, now that we got the bag part handled, what about the compressor switch and gauge deal, is that all I need or do I need a tank and solenoids and all that stuff also? Thanks for the great help so far guys!!

Tim
Old 10-14-2006, 07:00 AM   #9
tbish3

Do I need a C-Notch to lower the rear 5"? I think I read on here you do but just wanted to make sure.

thanks again.

Tim
Old 10-14-2006, 10:43 AM   #10
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Ok, now that we got the bag part handled, what about the compressor switch and gauge deal, is that all I need or do I need a tank and solenoids and all that stuff also? Thanks for the great help so far guys!!

Tim
again, www.***************** has everything you need
Old 10-14-2006, 10:47 AM   #11
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Do I need a C-Notch to lower the rear 5"? I think I read on here you do but just wanted to make sure.

thanks again.

Tim
yes - CPP part number - 6372CNK tell them you saw their add in Custom Classic Trucks and you can get the C-Notch for $99 + shipping.

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...ck/6372CNK.htm

The C-Notch is just one of the things you are going to need. Others include an adjustable track bar, lowering blocks, shock relocators, & new shocks.

Do a search on this section (Suspension) and you will find answers to most any question you might have.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:42 AM   #12
craig@ridetech.com
Formerly LSC71

Quote:
Can I just install the bags where the coils are and just hook a compressor and switch up to adjust the weight or do I need a tank and relays and all the other stuff too? I want to do this as cheap as possible.........go figure huh? Please help me out.

Thanks
Tim
To answer your question on the compressor side. No, you don't HAVE to use a compresssor, relay, and tank, but it does make things much easier. Your most economical solution would be to attach a couple of schrader valves and air it up from and external source, but if you are going to be adjusting air pressure on a regular basis you will soon find out how much of a pain that can be. In my opinion you could easily get a small pump w/o a pressure switch that you could activate from the cab and just turn it on and fill (directly into the airsprings) to your desired air pressure. This way takes a little more time but costs less. Just be sure to get a switch that will allow the compressor to fill and deflate the airsprings and also a gauge so that you know what pressure you are running.
craig@ridetech.com is offline   Reply With Quote