The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2005, 12:34 AM   #1
69TowRig

Original Exhaust Routing '69 K5

Hey y'all,

I realized that the goober that installed the last exhaust on my K5 made it impossible for me to install the missing front driveshaft until I replace the exhaust. (not to mention it has mufflers with blown baffles and leaks everywhere).

It goes from the factory-looking downpipes into some offset pipes, under the front floorboards on either side is a muffler and the exhausts side exit in front of the rear tires. The passenger side downpipe is right in the way of the pinion yoke on the front axle.

What I want to do is have the exhaust redone at a shop similar to the original routing. I see some old hanger remnants under the frame, it looks like it might have been a single exit on the drivers rear? Where do they do the crossover, and where do they hang the muffler?

Anyone have any good pictures of the chassis that show the exhaust?
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:43 AM   #2
HatGuy

Here is an idea for a single exhuat that will
give more HP than dual exhaust.
http://www.castheads.com/2into1_systems.php

http://www.pbhats.com/BLAZER/index.html
HatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 01:35 PM   #3
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Not sure if this helps but I dig the routing of the exhaust on my '72. The tail pipes are tucked up so you can't see them. The work was done when I bought it, so I don't know who did it.
Attached Images

Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 03:16 PM   #4
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69TowRig
Anyone have any good pictures of the chassis that show the exhaust?

About 20 pic's of mine in my sig, pages 13-15 I think, but not positive
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:06 PM   #5
69TowRig

Re: Original Exhaust Routing '69 K5

All right, dragging this back up to the top.

Shops are quoting me over $400 to do the work. While that is not bad, it is more than I wanted to spend on that part of the truck right now.

Is there a pre-built system for the pickups that can be easily modified to save me a bit of cash? I am thinking that the pickup routing is very different due to the rear-mounted gas tank on the Blazer, but I'd love to know one way or the other.

Anyone?
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
Old 11-12-2005, 08:15 AM   #6
pound41

LMC sells one for less than $200 bucks. Can get straight out the back or out the side. My 71 has been on for 8yrs the 70 for 3 yrs. Make sure you lay it all out and test fit before you start cutting. Kit fits long bed then you cut one pipe on each side for fit shortbed/blazer etc. Pipes are not marked very well especially tailpipe. For the money IMO can't touch it. Has good sound
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 08:23 AM   #7
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pound41
LMC sells one for less than $200 bucks.

Although I can't stand LMC, except for their bathroom picture book,
I agree with Pound, dollar for dollar this is the cheapest thing out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69TowRig
Shops are quoting me over $400 to do the work.
And BTW, mine was $500, so IMHO $400 is not to bad, IF !!! that is
for Duals, high quality mufflers, tailpipes, tips, total w/ tax, etc......

Last edited by LUV2XCLR8; 11-12-2005 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:04 PM   #8
69TowRig

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8
And BTW, mine was $500, so IMHO $400 is not to bad, IF !!! that is for Duals, high quality mufflers, tailpipes, tips, total w/ tax, etc......
I wish, y-pipe with single muffler, single exit and no tips. I'm sure there is a shop here in Houston that can do nice work for less (or give me more for the same $$) but finding it that is near but impossible.

Thanks for the tip guys, I had looked at that LMC system before but since it said you could cut down to fit shortbeds and not Blazers I was questioning whether it would fit.

I agree that LMC is probably not the best but if it is really that easy (and saves me more than half) it is the best route for me right now.

Y'all are so helpful, I appreciate it!
Old 12-10-2006, 03:10 AM   #9
69TowRig

Dragging this WAY UP to the top.

I finally ordered the LMC system last Saturday, completed 90% of the installation today. I had to trim both of the side-exit pipes and one each of the horizontal runner pipes.

It is 100% Made in USA, I love that! Mandrel-bent, all clamps, gaskets, and hangers needed to install. Very pleased with the value of this system.

I can't comment on the sound until after I get shorter exhaust studs for the manifold on the passenger side. Apparently you have to remove the heat-riser at the bottom of the manifold for everything to line up.

I will update with more comments and pics tomorrow (well I guess later today LOL).

Last edited by 69TowRig; 12-10-2006 at 03:11 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:38 AM   #10
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69TowRig View Post
Dragging this WAY UP to the top.

I finally ordered the LMC system last Saturday, completed 90% of the installation today. I had to trim both of the side-exit pipes and one each of the horizontal runner pipes.

It is 100% Made in USA, I love that! Mandrel-bent, all clamps, gaskets, and hangers needed to install. Very pleased with the value of this system.

I can't comment on the sound until after I get shorter exhaust studs for the manifold on the passenger side. Apparently you have to remove the heat-riser at the bottom of the manifold for everything to line up.

I will update with more comments and pics tomorrow (well I guess later today LOL).
Is the system you bought from LMC a true dual exhaust with a 'X' pipe. Sounds like a good deal. Are you going to post up pics. as you go along? Exhaust is my next step, and input would be helpful. J.

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 08:40 AM   #11
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Old 12-20-2006, 09:57 AM   #12
69TowRig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44 View Post
Is the system you bought from LMC a true dual exhaust with a 'X' pipe. Sounds like a good deal. Are you going to post up pics. as you go along? Exhaust is my next step, and input would be helpful. J.
It does not have an X-pipe or an H-pipe. True-dual in the sense that the exhaust from either side don't comingle. I will probably add an H-pipe later since it would be easy to do. An X-pipe would take quite a bit of creativity if you could even get it in there on a short rig like a Blazer.

I rarely document "step-by-step" on my projects, it takes too long and I never end up organizing it later. I scrapped my old system in about 20 minutes. Installation on the other hand took quite a while. You have to cut the extension pipes in a few places to get it short enough, but it does fit.

The heat riser on the passenger side gets eliminated, so I had to get new manifold flange studs for that side. Of course when I was bolting that side down the manifold cracked and broke at a stud hole so I need a new one now. That was not the fault of the exhaust system, I think it was the "interference" style exhaust studs I purchased.

The sound is about what I wanted, not deep and rumbly (I like to hear myself think from time to time), it sounds like a slightly-warmed OEM exhaust note. For most it would be nothing to write home about, but for me wanting a quiet system this was probably about as close as it would get.

Hey LUV, Here are a few pictures:

Old 12-20-2006, 06:24 PM   #13
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Looks pretty good