The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2006, 04:04 AM   #1
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

LWB and Bags

I am in the process of baggin' my 69 LWB. Since i have a split driveshaft, i wanted to take a look at where/how the carrier bearing was mounted and to see what i will need to do for the crossmember (was thinking of getting an ECC drop memeber)

i found that the carrier bearing is mounted in that cross member. Does that mean i don't need to even worry about getting a drop member? I can do the exhaust cutouts myself, so that's a non issue. but my assumption is, since the carrier is right there, and that's where the pivot will be when i raise/lower the truck, there's no need for a larger driveshaft opening.

also, how does having a split shaft effect what i need to do for my pinion angle?
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:13 AM   #2
70-c10LWB

Re: LWB and Bags

just cut off the rivets that hold the carrier bearing and you can raise it up a couple inches to help your driveline angle on your drivesaft from carrier to differential. this what i am doin. good luck
70-c10LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:59 AM   #3
jlaird

I dealt with this same exact issue yesterday. Did you read my post about pinion angle? It should still be on the first page of this suspension forum. What I did was remove the carrier bearing bracket and relocate it below the driveshaft so the carrier bearing will be rotated 180 degrees. Here is a picture from the post I was talking about. Before I did this, my angles starting with the tranny, then 1st shaft, 2nd shaft, and pinion was 4, 8, 8, 5. After moving the bearing up and adjusting the rear, I now have angles of 4, 1, 4, 3. A great improvement. Basically you want to get your driveline so all the working angles are 1-3 degrees. Read this article to understand how to calculate working angles:

http://www.airridetalk.com/articles/...-joint-enigma/
Attached Images

Last edited by jlaird; 12-31-2006 at 09:59 AM.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:53 PM   #4
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post
I dealt with this same exact issue yesterday. Did you read my post about pinion angle? It should still be on the first page of this suspension forum. What I did was remove the carrier bearing bracket and relocate it below the driveshaft so the carrier bearing will be rotated 180 degrees. Here is a picture from the post I was talking about. Before I did this, my angles starting with the tranny, then 1st shaft, 2nd shaft, and pinion was 4, 8, 8, 5. After moving the bearing up and adjusting the rear, I now have angles of 4, 1, 4, 3. A great improvement. Basically you want to get your driveline so all the working angles are 1-3 degrees. Read this article to understand how to calculate working angles:
Great idea. i just read your whole thread and it looks like flipping that mount is the best way to go. So once you flip it, are you planning to shim your rear end at all?

btw, how do you measure your driveline angles? i think i know what it looks like, but a link to the tool used would be great since i have no idea what it's called.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:49 AM   #5
jlaird

It's just an angle finder that you can find at any hardware store. Home Depot and Lowes both have them. This is the one I picked up at lowes for like 8 bucks. I'm sure there are more expensive and accurate ones out there, but this should get the job done...
Attached Images

jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:18 AM   #6
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

awesome. that's what i thought it was. didn't know you could get them at hoe depot/lowes. i'll pick one up next time i go to work on my truck.