The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2007, 01:33 AM   #1
american revolution

70 blazer in ebay 2wd but it had leaf springs in rear

anybody see the question and answer part on this auction? seller stated that car is original 2wd. vin numbers show that it is a 2wd. what's up with the rear leaf then? stated that previous owner placed for hauling.
american revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:11 AM   #2
Pop's72
It's ok to stare...

Re: 70 blazer in ebay 2wd but it had leaf springs in rear

Completed auction in question. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...QQcmdZViewItem

No 2wd Blazer/Jimmy came with leaf springs from the factory. The VIN is correct for a 2wd Blazer though.

So two things are possible:
1. As the seller states the frame was switched to leafs in the rear by a previous owner. OR
2. The frame in not orginal to the truck.

There should be a partial VIN number on the frame near the power steering unit (drivers side). That can be checked to see if it matches the VIN.
Pop's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:23 AM   #3
Pop's72
It's ok to stare...

I see that the auction winner is from the same location as you, which would help to explain why your first post would be about this.

I'm not trying to call you out or anything like that, but the more information that you give us the better advice we can give you. This is a very friendly board and we are more then happy to help you out with advice.

Oh and by the way
Pop's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

It sounds odd that the rear was swichted to leaf springs, but there are ways of telling if it is the original 2wd frame. As Pop's mentioned, the VIN should be stamped on the frame. There are also minor differences between 2wd and 4wd frames.

Let us know if you bought the truck. We are all friendly and like to help fellow Blazer and truck owners.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
american revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop's72 View Post
I see that the auction winner is from the same location as you, which would help to explain why your first post would be about this.

I'm not trying to call you out or anything like that, but the more information that you give us the better advice we can give you. This is a very friendly board and we are more then happy to help you out with advice.

Oh and by the way

Thanks for the comment. Yes I am the auction winner. Car is being transported now to California. I just want to make sure that I purchased a
2wd.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
american revolution

I will check the frame once I get the vehicle. What other "minor differences" are there for me to notice??
Old 04-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #7
american revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop's72 View Post

Oh and by the way

Thanks
Old 04-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #8
Rokcrln

Have you seen any pics of the rear leafs? Some people just don't know what they are looking at some times. If it is leaf it could have been swaped from a leaf 2wd truck as the rear frame section is the same as the 2wd unliuke the 4wd straite frame. Ether way a converted 4wd to 2wd is still worth what you paid going by his discription. Let us know more when you get it. Also welcome to the family, I am just up hwy 80 from you in Winters (out side of Vacaville).

Kevin LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I was actually watching that auction too. You got a good deal on the truck. A few minor updates and it will be up to today's standards.

The seats are "utility buckets" which are stock, but not as common as the standard buckets.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
raggedjim

My blazer has the original 2wd frame from a '70 Blazer and the body from a '69 4x4 Blazer. I researched the owners until I traced it back to the guy who did the conversion. He did it in the early '80's and he put the 4x4 body on because the 2wd got hit high in the area right behind the drivers seat. He said the 4x4's were really cheap back then and he swapped the bodys around but didn't think to keep the vin plate from the 2wd. He said the 2wd's weren't really valued as much then, so it never occurred to him to keep the vin plate.

I actually tracked this Blazer (the body anyway...) back to the first owner. Never tried to track the frame.

You have a good looking Blazer, post some pics of the rear end, I'd like to see them.

One other thing you might look for is if it has a bolt in transmission hump... Some 2wd's do, but a bunch of them don't.

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd

Last edited by raggedjim; 04-11-2007 at 03:48 PM.
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:20 PM   #11
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T

Last edited by LUV2XCLR8; 04-11-2007 at 04:21 PM.
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #12
american revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Have you seen any pics of the rear leafs? Some people just don't know what they are looking at some times. If it is leaf it could have been swaped from a leaf 2wd truck as the rear frame section is the same as the 2wd unliuke the 4wd straite frame. Ether way a converted 4wd to 2wd is still worth what you paid going by his discription. Let us know more when you get it. Also welcome to the family, I am just up hwy 80 from you in Winters (out side of Vacaville).

Kevin LFD Inc.
thanks for the info. do you do work on suspension? looking into maybe bagging the blazer in the future.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #13
american revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
My blazer has the original 2wd frame from a '70 Blazer and the body from a '69 4x4 Blazer. I researched the owners until I traced it back to the guy who did the conversion. He did it in the early '80's and he put the 4x4 body on because the 2wd got hit high in the area right behind the drivers seat. He said the 4x4's were really cheap back then and he swapped the bodys around but didn't think to keep the vin plate from the 2wd. He said the 2wd's weren't really valued as much then, so it never occurred to him to keep the vin plate.

I actually tracked this Blazer (the body anyway...) back to the first owner. Never tried to track the frame.

You have a good looking Blazer, post some pics of the rear end, I'd like to see them.

One other thing you might look for is if it has a bolt in transmission hump... Some 2wd's do, but a bunch of them don't.

Rg
Thanks for the info. I will take pics of the rear and post once I get vehicle. looking at end of April to arrive.