The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2007, 06:25 AM   #1
jd4020

4x4 conversion - 78 donor chassis

I am helping a friend do a conversion of a 64 SWB Stepside to 4x4 with a donor SWB 78 4x4 chassis. I have researched on here quite a bit but have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer.

To make up for the shorter wheelbase, it seems that most suggest moving the suspension mounts. How precise does this need to be, from an alignment standpoint? We are concerned with getting everything square as this is just a "backyard garage" build. Can this be done in our garage, or does it need to be done on some sort of a frame rack?

From a brake standpoint, is there a certain master cylinder/booster that fits well? Does it fit the stock 64 location or will it be in a modified? The 78 chassis has disc brakes, so that is all intact , just need to get the mc and pedals mounted and hooked up.

We're planning to use the tilt column out of the 78. Anyone done that before? any issues there that anyone can think of?

Thanks,

Jon
jd4020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:44 AM   #2
kris's66lwb
resident wrencher

Re: 4x4 conversion - 78 donor chassis

from what i know is that as long as you have time and flat ground you can do any thing which i have nither and youll want to use all the brake stuff from the 78 just to be safe but replace the hoses just in case neve used a tilt coulm but make sure it dosent tilt when it wants to cuz then youll have to re build the sprins and all that stuff in the tilt part
kris's66lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
jd4020

and just to add to my original post, we basically pulled the body off of the 64 frame and have it mounted on the 78 frame & driveline.
jd4020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote