The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
Custom 68

narrowing the front track width?

A couple years ago I swapped spindles for new aftermarket drop spindles and converted to front disks on my 68. It seems now that my front track is now wider. I get some rubbing on the outer edge of the tire on my inner fender when going over a dip at speeds. This has stock height springs with only the spindle drop with 275-60-15 tires.
I wanted to swap a-arms but dont think that will help with this problem. Anybody else have this problem or any thoughts?
I could change wheels but dont want to...
Thanks
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

Re: narrowing the front track width?

happens when you lower your truck with 275/60r15s on the 73-87 i know, so probably for you too. most people had to swap to a 245 up front.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

It is possible that the spindles themselves have some off-set built into them, which would cause this.
But, I am at least slightly confused by your wording?
Quote:
A couple years ago I swapped spindles for new aftermarket drop spindles and converted to front disks on my 68. It seems now that my front track is now wider.
"A couple years ago......(and) it seems now that..."

Did something happen here? some other change? How is it that you changed spindles years ago and the problem didn't exist then?
The only thing that could have changed on it's own is that the springs could have sagged a bit over time.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
Custom 68

I guess I can clarify a bit. I thought had read on here a while back that some (maybe all) the drop spindles added some width to the front track. I did the conversion from GMC Pauls which uses the McGaphys (sp?) spindles I replaced the front springs with new stock height ones and have put about 12,000 miles on the new setup. Best I can tell nothing has changed over this time.
When I first did the conversion I didnt drive it much before I did all the body work which consisted of new body and radiator support bushings so all these and suspension components should be in good shape and where they should be.
My main question is could my spindles have some off set and if so are some made with out this offset?
Secondly, can I get new tubular a-arms that can narrow this up slightly?
dont know if that cleared up anything or not...
Thanks
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Old 07-07-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
RunninLo
3DrDwn--the 'burb not the band

275 is way too wide for a lowered truck. the other problem if you're runnin aftermarket wheels is the off-set of those wheels may be wrong for a lowered application.
Josh

'89 GMC Dually crew build page coming soon.
88 4x4 crew DD

duallys past/present pics here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...46#post4001246

89 1 ton Dually rear flip kit install here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=354327
RunninLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
scotts62
One day...

I know mustang 2 setups have the option for a 5/8 narrower track width control arms, not sure about a place like ART or not, it would be something worth checking into though.. but i agree 275 is a lil wide for it to be lowered.
I think thats the size i had on mine when i lowered it and the tires hit everything

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:31 AM   #7
SCOTI

Changing from drums to discs widens the track width about 3/8" per side. That's where the 'increased track width' disclaimer comes from.

There's several ways:
You could modify the a-arms to bring the lower BJ's in vs. stock.
Porterbuilt StreetRods Dropmember narrows the track width & uses a R&P set-up.
A 'high profile' board member sectioned his truck crossmember & swapped in a R&P.

And the easiest way to remedy the issue . ..... different offset wheels w/optimal sized tires.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 07-08-2008 at 12:32 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:07 AM   #8
70c10
67-72 Addict!

My track got wider with the McGaugheys kit also. I run 275/60/15 tires on 8" rims with about 3.5"BS and rub only on HARD turns or dips. My new KYB shocks helped alot. My springs were cut to lower it more. I have almost 5" drop with spindels and springs. The answer is to use 7" rims or skinnier tires I think. I'm pretty happy with it for now. Here is a pic with my setup:http://drchop.smugmug.com/gallery/52...09_GSXka-X2-LB

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads

Last edited by 70c10; 07-08-2008 at 07:15 AM.
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:26 AM   #9
scotts62
One day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70c10 View Post
My track got wider with the McGaugheys kit also. I run 275/60/15 tires on 8" rims with about 3.5"BS and rub only on HARD turns or dips. My new KYB shocks helped alot. My springs were cut to lower it more. I have almost 5" drop with spindels and springs. The answer is to use 7" rims or skinnier tires I think. I'm pretty happy with it for now. Here is a pic with my setup:http://drchop.smugmug.com/gallery/52...09_GSXka-X2-LB
Thats cool, your truck has a good stance to it, i like it

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:35 AM   #10
HotRodYJ

My 71 got wider too when I added dropped spindles. The 71 had factory discs so the extra width was in the spindles themselves. I think most of the spindle kits for 68-72 actually use 73-87 spindles, so that may be the key to the track width issue. These later trucks may have more offset in the spindle than the earlier trucks did.

My junk: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=480902

Last edited by HotRodYJ; 07-08-2008 at 08:35 AM.
HotRodYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #11
Custom 68

Thanks guys I didnt really have anything to base the fact I thought the track got wider but this sounds common.
As far as the tire size the 275 seems very common plus mine is only lowered the 2.5 inches so it is not that low...The rubbing is only on the extreme dips and is not bad I just was looking for a change.
Your correct Scotti changing the wheels might be my best bet but I want to stick with what I have for now but should start saving my coins for another set.
my front has the appearance of being lower than just the 2.5 so I wonder if I got some drop springs also by mistake? Anyway I really like the way it looks and the stance is great for me. I am going to do some more digging and will make a change eventually.

I thought I remembered somebody on here talking about spindles that did not widen the track, maybe they will chime in.
Thanks
Dave
Old 07-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #12
Custom 68

heres a picture...
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #13
SCOTI

You don't need to necessarily change wheels.... just the fronts. Maybe you could find 2 more w/more back-spacing? That would tuck them in a little more which would offer more clearance from the fender lip.

Do you know the current BS of the wheels?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 07-08-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #14
Custom 68

I will have to measure the BS to see, they have been on this truck for 15-20 years. They are 6 lug so they may be more difficult to find? They are 8 inches wide and I am sure what every might have been considered "standard" bs if there is such a thing?
Again it is not bad just looking to help some and I thought a suspension mod might work and get me closer...
Old 07-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #15
SCOTI

15-20yrs old? It might be hard to find others . The easiest route then would be slightly shorter tires (255-60/15's).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-08-2008, 01:56 PM   #16
Custom 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
15-20yrs old? It might be hard to find others . The easiest route then would be slightly shorter tires (255-60/15's).
yep one of my first major purchases for my truck when I got it I had them polished up a year or so ago so they now look better than new...