The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

Is it a bad/good idea to cut the bottom of the doors to mount speakers in...

Well, my speakers were in lil cheapo plastic boxes glued to the floor..but I took those out, wanna have a lil 'cleaner' look...my options are put em back under the seat,cut the doors (i think the cleanest) or kick pannels....I really wanna cut the doors but i dont wanna mess up the speakers, or the sound of em, by puttin em in the doors...

and i i do put em in the doors, should i put em in the pannel that comes out, or the door frame in the VERY BOTTOM of the door, and should i use 6.5 6x9 or like 5 1/4 speakers, thanks!

and not really lookin for base..just some ok music..I'll put some subs where the gas tank is now EVENTUALLY that'll be my base

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:09 AM   #2
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Re: Is it a bad/good idea to cut the bottom of the doors to mount speakers in...

The kick panels are a much better choice than the doors for alot of reasons. Better mid-bass response, better imaging, better highs, better mounting point, less reverb and less sound deadening required.

I have a set of 6.5" components in the kicks and two sets of 6.5" components in the doors at the bottom. The front speakers are far more noticeable than the two identical component sets in the doors. The doors will also require HUGE amounts of sound deadening to provide quality sound and reduce the massive vibration that the speakers will cause.

My truck's doors are COMPLETELY covered, inside and out with Dynamat Extreme and will be receiving more sound deadening early next year, along with expanding foam and silicon where necessary.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Re: Is it a bad/good idea to cut the bottom of the doors to mount speakers in...

I wouldn't cut your doors if they aren't cut already. Put the speakers in the kick panels. If you must put them in the doors you put them towards the bottom of the door.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
allen123
It'll buff out

since my door panels were already cut i put my 6x9s in the door panel, it sounds alright but doesnt have much bass to it at all

My Build
Cody Allen
allen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
badblu97
Double 6's

I personally would go with a good component set up, 6.5 is you can manage it. I havent really torn into my doors yet, but as long as the mechanic of the window dont get in the way,( and they shouldnt down that low) you should be fine. Look for a set or speaker "boxes" to seal the woofer from the rest of the door for a little more bass, and be careful of water that drains out of the bottom of the door...hope that helps!
badblu97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:24 AM   #6
AZGrower

I too would vote for the 6.5" component set, which will give you much better flexibility and response. Have you considered building some fiberglass baffle/pods that you can mount to your door?

Or you can go the route of kick panels, which can also work very well especially with the imaging like previously mentioned. These are pretty easy to make using fiberglass.