The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2008, 08:40 AM   #26
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Does an El Camino qualify as a 'truck'

LMAO,, you can't believe how many people tell me that. The old man put those tires on there in the 80's along with the wheels. Only good thing about them is they hold air

Yup DJ, that is a 1967 Chevelle SS hood. The El Camino's did not have a SS in 67 (altho they did have a 325HP 396 available, it did not have the SS badges, and was marketed as a El Camino Custom, not a SS) Pretty common to see a Chevelle SS hoods transplanted onto the 67 Camino's and I guess I just couldn't resist the look. This thing is a FAR CRY from a correct 'restoration' and more just trying to get the 'look of the era' and update everything with a transplant of modern technology everywhere I can. It should be sweet when it's done.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.

Last edited by Marv D; 08-06-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:12 AM   #27
wheeliE-maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-IndianRider View Post
Well..... Now it's MY TURN.... to make a LONG story short.... picked up a "part-time" job and need what some people call a "daily driver" or "beater". So off I go to the swap meet corals & of course Craigs List... and what do I find???

After looking at NOT so "practical cars/trucks (late model Z28's - S10's w/V8 conversions, etc) I FINALLY came across the kind of vehicle a person like me (a car freak) needs as a "daily driver".

It's an '80 El Camino (formerly from Texas) it's in UNRESTORED condition, body/bed in good shape, NO major rust and excellent frame.

Now for the best part.... I said I needed something "practical" and this is what I found.... it's V6 with a 3 speed manual transmission (on the floor - Factory installed). Can't say I have ever SEEN or HEARD of this combination before.

In TRUE "hot rodder" tradition I have already started "collecting goodies" to make it "my own".... picked up a set of Cragar wheels - a COMPLETE SS Monte Carlo front nose piece (Choo-Choo) Sun Tach - gauges - BLACK Leather Bucket seats with plans to add headers & dual exhausts.

Currently it gets 22 mph .... a nice find for a time when gas prices are killing everyone. Plus it still has a "cool factor" enough to keep this "piston head" satisfied..... as the OLD-TIME saying goes this car/truck will be ALL "show" & "NO GO" .... that's the way to "go" as I pass up the gas stations in a hot rod looking El Camino.
Is the V-6 in that El Camino a 2.8?
wheeliE-maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #28
PA-IndianRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
Is the V-6 in that El Camino a 2.8?
No.... it's a 3.8.... weird having to think about a vehicle with A CARB & CHOKE.... HA!! Fuel Injection has us spoiled. Lots of other "conveniences" we have come to take for granted..... no intermittent wipers - only 2 speed wipers - 85 mph speedo .... times have changed.
"Gasser/Altered Drag Race Hot Rod"
Where were You in '62 ?
PA-IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #29
mbgmike

I bought a brand new 1969 and I was really proud untill the redneck girls i grew up with told me its not a truck. Hell these girls were cheerleaders that drove 1 tons to high school. pissed me off so much I never went on a date with any of them I wish I still had it.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:45 PM   #30
PA-IndianRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
I bought a brand new 1969 ....... I wish I still had it.
All of us have owned vehicles, especially back when that we wish we could still have today.... I live only a few miles from YENKO CHEVROLET - (Canonsburg, Pennsylvania) the "king" of musclecar madness in the late 60's early 70's.

Ironically..... back then, the cars Don Yenko put together using COPO where to a certain extent were "just" cars back then... great cars .... but mainly just a car... which in MOST cases where used as "daily drivers" by many of their owners.... used year round (we got Winter here in PA) and also on the drag strips on the weekend in addition to whatever happened at the "next redlight"..... those were the days my friend ... we THOUGHT they'd NEVER end!!!!!" : o (

(FYI... image is of an "original" Yenko emblem .... chrome & black .... not one of the "red, white & blue" repops that I have had since 1969)
Attached Images

Where were You in '62 ?

Last edited by PA-IndianRider; 08-10-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:42 AM   #31
PA-IndianRider

This El Camino has been just re-listed for sale on eBay (see pic below) ..... at least the 2nd time this car has been for sale on ebay..... A GREAT drag car - owned by the same person for 24 years.

This is just one of the many "drag cars" that just can't be sold nowadays.

You could NEVER build this type/quality of vehicle for the money it's being sold for.

With the nation's economy & also gas prices what they are today how people travel & of course "tow to the drag strip" have also been effected BIG time.

Obviously the selling price of drag cars is also being effected.

Here's another drag car I have been watching that is being offered for sale & STILL has not found a NEW HOME..... One I would be glad to own if I had the room & money for it. (Yellow Camaro)

It is definiately a "buyers" market right now..... not only for complete cars but I have also noticed that "parts" have also been "slow to sell" , selling for less and attendance of "sellers" at swap meets has been less than usual.

A "SAD COMMENTARY" of the times we are going thru.
Attached Images

Where were You in '62 ?

Last edited by PA-IndianRider; 08-16-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #32
Purs
Got Big Block?

I wasn't really a fan of elky's until I sort of inherited my dad's. I transplanted my 496 from my 68 C10 that I had sold. It was blast, unfortunately I sold it after about year. But not before a few trips to the dragstrip. It ran low 7's at around 94mph with 10.5" slicks. I've even got a video with the stock 15x7 steel front wheel slightly off the ground!

Old 02-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #33
Marv D

Had to revive this from the dead for an update...

Here ya go Kevin,,, new wheels and black rubber hoops came in the other day and this thing is starting to look pretty much done. Kept my hi-tech / period correct theme with Cragar SS with a 'little 'flair'

Still some to do but the list is dwindeling. Wheels are Cragar 612 series SS's,,, 17x7's on the front, 18x8's on the rear... with Michelin Pilot AS plus Z rated tires at a all 4 corners (235-50-17 on the front 255-45-18 on the rear)
Just need to finish the fuel system plumbing, exhaust, trim the carpet and bolt the seats / console back in place,, and changing rear to posi and 3.75 gears. Then it's DONE!!

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #34
JayG
Formerly ADHDCARGUY

Sweet! I like everything. If someone has a clean old car/truck/bike/boat/motorized anything and it reflects pride and effort, I always give 'em a "thumbs up". I can appreciate the effort/$$/energy it takes to keep it up.

67CHEVY SWB,355, built 700r, 5/7,9",posi 3.50,REAR BAGS,HOOSIERS, A/C.
54CHEVY - BURB, beginning construction(well, i gotta take it apart first!)
36FORD PU - WAITING
38CHEVY - 2DR SD,CHASSIS FINISHED
46CHEVY - BURB - waiting
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #35
djracer

That is way sweet!

let me guess it has a sbc under the hood.

you old bbc hater!

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!

Last edited by djracer; 02-20-2009 at 02:51 PM.
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #36
Marv D

Nooo I don't hate the bbc,, I just don't see any need for them,,,,, unless you have a boat and need something to keep it from drifting away that is (ROTFLMBO)

Yeah it's a little sbc,, in fact a LITTLE little sbc. Kept the original small journal 327,, but did a few 'upgrades' . Nothing major,,, Jay Allen hydraulic roller, Holley Commander multipoint fuel injection, Edelbrock E-tec aluminum heads,,,, just 'little' stuff for a little motor

Old 02-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #37
scatesracing
Machinist

NO

But i still like them
scatesracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:10 AM   #38
Pyrotechnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
Well my 65 was just confused so it called it self a "Cruck" it did not know if it was a car or a truck!!!!
Love it! 65' is one of my favorite years.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #39
PA-IndianRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Had to revive this from the dead for an update...
Yeah this is an "oldie but a goodie" thread.

Marv, glad to see you've made so much progress on your Elky. LOVE the COLOR.... what is it?

As far as mine '80 El C goes before the Winter weather stopped me from working on the latest of my project additions.... I got the interior gutted & newer Monte SS leather power seats, insulation & carpeting installed and the dash renewed.

Being mine is a "daily driver" I obviously have to do my "fixing up" in a different way... especially because I use it every "weekday".

The V6 has been running pretty good all WINTER.... even on the SUB-ZERO days it has started right up and has also handled real good in the snow. It's been a really cold Winter here.

Only issue I have had is the exhaust manifold gasket on the passenger side blew out.... the BIGGER issue is I have yet to be able to get the bolts loose. Even took it to my buddy's shop and let him have a go at getting them out... NO GO so far!!!

Plus with so much time to think about things (aka "cabin fever") I'm thinking of pulling out the V6/3 speed and swaping in the 350 four bolt I have sitting on an engine stand in my workshop.... here I go AGAIN!!!!
Attached Images

Where were You in '62 ?

Last edited by PA-IndianRider; 02-22-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #40
Rodms

Heck I guess this one just needs some paint we can't give it away