The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
straitnate14

Rearend

what type of rear axles are you guys running? Can anyone educate me on a Ford 9" swap? whats needed what width ? looking into swaping instead of wasting money on a 12 bolt
Old 04-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Rearend

I'm running a 9" in my 66, but with a frame kit and 15x15" wheels, so no 'normalcy' there.
A couple of things to consider.:

In a 9" you can get big bearing (late) and small bearing (early mustang) rears.

furd has another drop in center section (think it's a 8.2" or 8.8" or something) don't be fooled hunting the swap meets and salvage yards.

Aftermarket axles.... you'll get a lot of opinions here, but Moser and Dutchman motorsports are the only two I'd consider for a "STREET" strip vehicle. On the street you wrap up the axle in two directions. On the track it is only being stressed in ONE direction. A drag axle is able to take more wrap-up of a sticky track and high HP. BUT, it can not take the working of being wraped up both forward AND reverse (like going around corners). Moser seems to have a alloy that is very resistant to street driving, and still takes the abuse of the track in a heavy hitter. If your running a 9" and ONLY on the street with a very occasional trip to the track, A company in Pacific NW called Dutchman Motorsports makes the best damn street/strip axle I've found (and I have a small pile of twisted splines and broken axles to judge,,, mostly Strange!) The Dutchmans alloy is perfect for a locker or posi on the street with sticky tires like the QT pro's or MT's.

Oh, and a small bearing 9" is limited to about 33 splines, where the big bearing you can go 40+. For most street / moderate bracket racing a 33 spline aftermarket axle will hold up fine. If you want the 'best' axle for a hard hitting chassis, Mark Williams is the name, but you better dig deep into the penny bank before you order.

There are a lot of web pages around that give the work sheet for ordering a aftermarket housing, or axles for any housing. I like the Alston page myself. They explain that you HAVE to have the tire/wheel combination IN PLACE, then you can measure for housing / axle length.

Here is a link to the Alston rear housing work sheet. It will give you picture of what all you need to know to put a rear under your truck. Once you know EVERYTHING you need to know to order a custom housing, it's easy to go out picking through cores to find something close....... enjoy

http://www.cachassisworks.com/worksh...structions.pdf

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.

Last edited by Marv D; 04-21-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
straitnate14

thank you very much
Old 04-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
Ont67shortbox

DTS makes a bolt in 9 inch for our trucks.They made the rear for Project Copperhead.google them for their website.
Ont67shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:53 AM   #5
joeys66pickup
Dr. Frankenstein

i've been standing almost directly next to a later 70's c10 when it lifted the front tires a bit for a 9.95 1/4 pass with a shortened 12bolt so "wasting money on a 12bolt" is all in the eye of the beholder if i may say so
Old 04-24-2009, 12:51 AM   #6
scatesracing
Machinist

Nine inch is the way to go no clips easy gear changes easy to find parts I got mine at the salvage then cut it down to the trailing arms... ordered axles from moser ........ GOOD TO GO
scatesracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
joeys66pickup
Dr. Frankenstein

scatesracing is right screw 12 bolts(hahaha just picked up a 9" myself today)
jesus its like a night and day difference tryin to work on it! and my mooneyes sticker needed a home anywho
Old 04-26-2009, 02:09 AM   #8
djracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
I'm running a 9" in my 66, but with a frame kit and 15x15" wheels, so no 'normalcy' there.

furd has another drop in center section (think it's a 8.2" or 8.8" or something) don't be fooled hunting the swap meets and salvage yards.

Aftermarket axles.... you'll get a lot of opinions here, but Moser and Dutchman motorsports are the only two I'd consider for a "STREET" strip vehicle. On the street you wrap up the axle in two directions. On the track it is only being stressed in ONE direction. A drag axle is able to take more wrap-up of a sticky track and high HP. BUT, it can not take the working of being wraped up both forward AND reverse (like going around corners). Moser seems to have a alloy that is very resistant to street driving, and still takes the abuse of the track in a heavy hitter. If your running a 9" and ONLY on the street with a very occasional trip to the track, A company in Pacific NW called Dutchman Motorsports makes the best damn street/strip axle I've found (and I have a small pile of twisted splines and broken axles to judge,,, mostly Strange!) The Dutchmans alloy is perfect for a locker or posi on the street with sticky tires like the QT pro's or MT's.

Oh, and a small bearing 9" is limited to about 33 splines, where the big bearing you can go 40+. For most street / moderate bracket racing a 33 spline aftermarket axle will hold up fine. If you want the 'best' axle for a hard hitting chassis, Mark Williams is the name, but you better dig deep into the penny bank before you order.

There are a lot of web pages around that give the work sheet for ordering a aftermarket housing, or axles for any housing. I like the Alston page myself. They explain that you HAVE to have the tire/wheel combination IN PLACE, then you can measure for housing / axle length.

Here is a link to the Alston rear housing work sheet. It will give you picture of what all you need to know to put a rear under your truck. Once you know EVERYTHING you need to know to order a custom housing, it's easy to go out picking through cores to find something close....... enjoy

Very good info Marv but one slight correction. You can get a 35 spline spool in a small bearing carrier. I bought one back in the early 90's and at the time Mark William was the only one who made one but I think others offer it now!

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
72 SUPER10

I have a 12 bolt 33 spline, and big bearing ford ends so you can bolt the axle in.
72 SUPER10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
scatesracing
Machinist

The best part.............. I set up my gears on the bench......
scatesracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:29 PM   #11
LuckyHenriksen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post

Church! Great info man
Senior Project
Build Thread Here
LuckyHenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote