The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
larry may

Smile Need an educated opinion

Here is what I did. For the sake of saftey I removed the Electric fuel pump and installed a competive mechanical pump. Since that time this ole heap does not idle like it did before the swap. Also will stop running at a stop while in gear idling. Has to be feathered constantly.
From a dead stop on up the to the top it runs very well but not quite like it did before. So before I change back to the Electric I need some feed back . The mechanical is GM used on the like HP 350cid. during the muscle car years. I had thought it would feed this 4777-4 1145x2 pumper holley just fine.
However; the camshaft is a few notches above the old school stuff. I'm also running a notch above true blue octane. Might be 106 + or so. Thanks for any helpful solid information, May be one of you wizzards can work with this to help get me back on track... Larry

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Need an educated opinion

Sounds like just a fuel pressure / float level issue. I'd adjust the float level (fuel should just slosh out of the site hole when you gently shake the car, or NO MORE than 1/2 the way up the hole if your using those clear plastic site plugs). Possibly you need to freshen the needle and seat as it stalling at stop signs are sure signs it's either too high of a float level or the needle and seat is not sealing and fuel psi is pushing past over filling the float bowl.

Definately not a wizzard but that's my 2 cents anyways

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.

Last edited by Marv D; 05-14-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
larry may

Done that Marv D. Am in the process of changing back o Electric just to see if the Mechancal pump is dragging A$$ .

None of these issue's were present until the Mechanical pump was in stalled. It ran smooth not choppy held its own any where any time.

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
Old 05-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
larry may

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Sounds like just a fuel pressure / float level issue. I'd adjust the float level (fuel should just slosh out of the site hole when you gently shake the car, or NO MORE than 1/2 the way up the hole if your using those clear plastic site plugs). Possibly you need to freshen the needle and seat as it stalling at stop signs are sure signs it's either too high of a float level or the needle and seat is not sealing and fuel psi is pushing past over filling the float bowl.

Definately not a wizzard but that's my 2 cents anyways
I give you wizzard mention any way. I changed thepump back . Removed the braided line , and used a steel 3/8 line from pump to carb. Opened the bowl up where the site plug is. Gave that ole heap a right good shake from side to side. No fuel came out of the hole. Adjusted thefloat level for the third time and finally have fuel slooshing out. Put the machanical put back in service the problen reappeared. So changed the braided line to 3/8 steel and runs just fine off the mechanical pump. The whole reason for swaping this out is for the purpose that in a crash the elecrtic pump would probably keep pumping and offer up danger danger. Thinking the Mechanical would be safer in that precictament. Thanks for your nudge to stay after this as I was beginning to! never mind.
:-)) Thanks. Larry

Be a site supporter.

Last edited by larry may; 05-15-2009 at 09:04 AM.