The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
71402BB
now thats a true COON DOG

Head units

Can anyone give advise on some different radios that they have and or like! I don't know much about this stuff and I'm looking for something of good qualitly and I have 200 to spend. Thanks in advance!! -Brian

71 SWB Stepside, was a 250, now is a 402 Big Block with 4 speed and 3.73's ( was crushed by a tree, bed sold, motor pulled) was my first truck!... oh well...

72 LWB 4x4 350 4-speed 3.08's posi wearing army olive drab green (SOLD!)

68 BURB 50TH LOOKALIKE work in progress, soon to have 250-I6 with a 3-speed on the tree 4.11's and posi ( currently sitting in back yard tarped awaiting time, $$$, and lots of love!)

67 1 TON- work truck 396 sm 420 4-speed, flat bed 4.57 gears "big red" (my first landscape truck, very rusty and crusty! but still gets the job done when needed!)
71402BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:10 AM   #2
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Re: Head units

Brian-
Well......what are you looking for? You have myriad options when it comes to head units. You can get basic AM/FM/CD, then beyond that you start adding features like XM ready, Ipod connectivity, HD radio, CD Changer controller 4v pre-outs, etc, etc. Then you have several form factors like removeable face, flip down face, motorized 6" LCD touch screens and on and on. I've had several types and brands over the years and for standard radio reception I've had the best luck with Pioneer products. Kenwood generally had the best overall sound quality. Sony, JVC and Clarion all have good products as well. I would shy away from the cheap-o chinese crap....because that's all it is- crap! Just remember that it's the speakers that make a sound system sound good or sh***y. A mediocre head unit with top quality speakers will sound pretty damned good, but a zillion dollar head unit with cheap-a$$ speakers will sound terrible.
My advice would be to identify what features you want and then go to this link and start shopping for what's available at your price point.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-N1C6lw4NLmz/
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:24 AM   #3
chevlwb68

I have had many cars and trucks in my day and many stereos. Have done most the installs myself. My personal preference is Pioneer. Great quality and features for a good price. They also have a good look to them. Some of the stereos today just are too gaudy looking.

Anytime I am in the market I always look Pioneer. I like Alpines also, just you pay more for the name.

My brother just got a new Pioneer CD deck with usb and ipod inputs for under $200 with extended warranty through Best Buy.

There is my .02 cents and preference. Hope it helps. Any questions, just ask. I have done installs in brand new cars to complete new wiring in old school rods.
15x7 rallies and BFG's.
Built 350.
Dual Flowmasters.
Fast and Loud.
chevlwb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:26 AM   #4
chevlwb68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfodgy View Post
Brian-
Well......what are you looking for? You have myriad options when it comes to head units. You can get basic AM/FM/CD, then beyond that you start adding features like XM ready, Ipod connectivity, HD radio, CD Changer controller 4v pre-outs, etc, etc. Then you have several form factors like removeable face, flip down face, motorized 6" LCD touch screens and on and on. I've had several types and brands over the years and for standard radio reception I've had the best luck with Pioneer products. Kenwood generally had the best overall sound quality. Sony, JVC and Clarion all have good products as well. I would shy away from the cheap-o chinese crap....because that's all it is- crap! Just remember that it's the speakers that make a sound system sound good or sh***y. A mediocre head unit with top quality speakers will sound pretty damned good, but a zillion dollar head unit with cheap-a$$ speakers will sound terrible.
My advice would be to identify what features you want and then go to this link and start shopping for what's available at your price point.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-N1C6lw4NLmz/
Good points. You need to know what you want in a deck. Good speakers are also key. Though do not shop Crutchfield or other Catalogs. Way too overpriced.
15x7 rallies and BFG's.
Built 350.
Dual Flowmasters.
Fast and Loud.
chevlwb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
71402BB
now thats a true COON DOG

Ok first thanks for the help! I guess what I'm lookin for is a cd player that is sirius ready and has mp3 inputs... don't really know a whole lot about the rest... I did look at the pioneer site shortly last night. I have always liked there stuff as well. there is just so much to choose from I don't know where to start! I also don't like the gaudy stuff... I just want something simple that will sound good and won't run me a ton of money! I was really diggin there low profile subs as well!....to cool! let me know if you there is anything anybody prefers.... Thanks again -Brian

71 SWB Stepside, was a 250, now is a 402 Big Block with 4 speed and 3.73's ( was crushed by a tree, bed sold, motor pulled) was my first truck!... oh well...

72 LWB 4x4 350 4-speed 3.08's posi wearing army olive drab green (SOLD!)

68 BURB 50TH LOOKALIKE work in progress, soon to have 250-I6 with a 3-speed on the tree 4.11's and posi ( currently sitting in back yard tarped awaiting time, $$$, and lots of love!)

67 1 TON- work truck 396 sm 420 4-speed, flat bed 4.57 gears "big red" (my first landscape truck, very rusty and crusty! but still gets the job done when needed!)
71402BB is offline   Reply With Quote