The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #26
'72customdeluxe

Re: Noob Question, How many quarts of oil, Tpye to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanmusc1e View Post
Ya, I heard from a mechanic friend that penzoil was really bad about sludge. Whatever you do, don't use penzoil.
Incorrect. That is an old myth. "Pennzoil is full of wax, turns into sludge" Plain old yellow bottle Pennzoil is a very good cleaner in fact. But it's SM rated spec, so VERY little zinc. Not a good choice because of that. Pennzoil platinum is one of the best for the money as well and'll really clean up. Little zinc aswell. I suggest for a good read go to www.bobistheoilguy.com Also, don't get suckered in Royal Purples "high zinc" claims like I did once. They have one of the lowest zinc amounts out there. Stick with your Vr1 (longer intervals with Mobil being cheaper and cleaner still) or Mobil 1 High Mileage. Both Mobil 15w-50 oils have a ton of zinc and phosporus as well, but I like staying thinner as i'm mostly in town and don't always get to warm it up 100%
Thick oil is noisier on start up in my truck as well
Old 07-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #27
budster

My stepdad is a retired heavy equipment mechanic and he swears by the rule of whatever oil started in the engine is what you should continue to use. If you're not sure of whats been run in it I guess go with whats been reccomended.
budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:57 AM   #28
berencam

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72customdeluxe View Post
Incorrect. That is an old myth. "Pennzoil is full of wax, turns into sludge" Plain old yellow bottle Pennzoil is a very good cleaner in fact. But it's SM rated spec, so VERY little zinc. Not a good choice because of that. Pennzoil platinum is one of the best for the money as well and'll really clean up. Little zinc aswell. I suggest for a good read go to www.bobistheoilguy.com Also, don't get suckered in Royal Purples "high zinc" claims like I did once. They have one of the lowest zinc amounts out there. Stick with your Vr1 (longer intervals with Mobil being cheaper and cleaner still) or Mobil 1 High Mileage. Both Mobil 15w-50 oils have a ton of zinc and phosporus as well, but I like staying thinner as i'm mostly in town and don't always get to warm it up 100%
Thick oil is noisier on start up in my truck as well
I wasnt just spreading the mith of pennzoil sludging bad. I've seen it first hand. Granted, any oil abused will sludge no question about it. But pennzoil was by far the worst sludger ive seen. Mabee they have reformulated, i dont know, but im never using their product.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:01 AM   #29
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGNDRAGIT View Post
i personally run mobil1 high mileage 10w30 w/ a bottle of lucas in my 327. tats just me, i love me some lucas. others may disagree tho.

oh and ya 5qts, and dont skimp on the filter. just change it, they are cheap.
I love me some lucas

1986 Honda 70 Fourtrax

1991 Chevrolet K5 blazer 2wd

1982 Mastercraft Pro Star 190 Stars and Stripes

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

2011 Nissan Armada

jbristo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #30
mrein3

I know the original thread starter is down south but lots of folks up north will be reading this some day.

Down south you can get away with a straight 30 weight oil. Up here you have to go to a multiweight like 10w-30.

You just might spin a bearing or do something else bad if you attempt to start a truck with straight 30 weight on a -20F morning.

Since my first oil change in 1984, I have been buying 5 quarts of Valvoline 10w-30 AND A NEW FILTER every time.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #31
Robert Bergstrom

While working (1984) for the Forest Service in Avery Idaho (where Jesus lost his sandals) I tried to start my 1970 blue 250 stepside when it was -30 degrees with 30 weight (it had sat outside all night). It must have taken 10 minutes of cranking the engine to get the thing started. When it did it sounded like there were marbles in the crank case and there was a lot of black and white smoke coming out of it. Needless to say I switched to a 10-40 after that. I had the truck for another 10 years so the old six must not have been too damaged. I was the second owner of the truck and it was a base C-10 with a four speed (1st was a granny gear). I could put all of my worldly possessions in the bed of that truck until I got married in 1992.
Robert Bergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #32
local13hutch

Castrol oil comes from castrol beens ...Pensoil is a product of wax...synthetics are just that....My uncle was a retired navy mechanic and he swore by valvoline and mobil and rotella and I think I agree with everything I have heard in general the same products are being recomended by all of you with the exception of weight and climate differences...Racing oil is changed so often that it doesnt need the detergents that we rely on and other addetives in our work and play vehicles although I do use it in my hot rod/racecar.....? What oiladdetive should I run in my high and low mileage v8s...Sorry for shoulder hopping this thread..but now seems to be the perfect time to ask....
72 3/4 ton sub 4x4
61 morris minor pickup, chevy 4.3 v6
03 escalade, 24" momo's wifes
96 2wd 2door tahoe
67 2wd suburban
72 4wd k5 99 vortec 14bolt/d60 205/th400- 72 4wd crewcab 1 ton sb cummins allison -2012 2ss camaro black hard top- 8 yamaha quads- 05 4wd one ton duramax dually, family limo.
local13hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #33
dhaymaker

It's interesting...just like everyone's choice of manufacturer (F*#$, Dodge, or Chevy, etc.), reading all these posts you can see everyone has an opinion of what constitutes a good oil, filter, etc. I've run Valvoline oil for years, right after I tore down a big block that was gunked up (the original owner told me he swore by Pennzoil, and it showed in the BB).

Of course, I've run FRAM filters for years and years. Interestingly, for a filter that isn't very good, one of my current vehicles has only ever had Valvoline 10W-30 in it, filtered by a FRAM filter, and it presently has over 169,000 miles on it!

I was in the military for a long time and 've lived on the East Coast, West Coast, Oklahoma/Texas, and in Colorado (for the last 19 years). I've always used 10W-30 and a new filter and changed the oil in my vehicles every 3,000 miles.

Everyone has a story...

"The DRBMan"

2014 Audi A4 (The Wife's Daily Driver)
2017 HD Ultra (The Cruiser)
2003 HD Fatboy (The Ride)
2001 Chevy Suburban (Another back up!!)

For the first time in forever, not a single 67-72 Chevy truck, Blazer, or Suburban on the property! Basically retired and getting the new Motorhome ready for some traveling. Doing a bit of work on the house getting it ready to sell! LOL!!
dhaymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #34
'72customdeluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by local13hutch View Post
Castrol oil comes from castrol beens ...Pensoil is a product of wax...synthetics are just that....My uncle was a retired navy mechanic and he swore by valvoline and mobil and rotella and I think I agree with everything I have heard in general the same products are being recomended by all of you with the exception of weight and climate differences...Racing oil is changed so often that it doesnt need the detergents that we rely on and other addetives in our work and play vehicles although I do use it in my hot rod/racecar.....? What oiladdetive should I run in my high and low mileage v8s...Sorry for shoulder hopping this thread..but now seems to be the perfect time to ask....
Your joking right? Castrol's name did come from the castor bean TWO STROKE oil they started off with along time ago. Pennzoil is just like any other motor oil these days. Wax is a byproduct that gets taken out. What do your high mile motors do? Burn oil or what. Let me know and i'll help ya out. Motor oil by itself is usually good. I like Marvel Mystery oil. You can sub one quart of that for one of your motor oil and it's a gentle rinse that won't clog up your oil pickup or hurt seals. And the point made about the Fram filter is that you can get a BETTER filter for the same price or less. Your engine just isn't going to pop when you put a Fram in it. Unless of course one on the pleats comes loose off the cardboard base like one of mine did. Then it might let too much metal by and go pow. 169,000 miles isn't that much either. A couple years ago my grandpa had a '97 z71 that he idled for hours every day and drove 340,000 miles (bought with 70k) within a few years, all on Delco filters. It was then sold to my cousin who drove it for an additional 30,000 or so miles. It was then traded in for nothing on a Cobalt that she doesn't have ay more. Truck ran as good as new. I wish I had it, or atleast the motor Fram=$3.80 Ac Delco=$3.50 and it's all metal with more pleats. And I like to be able to unscrew the filter after 6000 or so miles. I always oil the gasket, and Frams are the only ones that we have to poke holes in, crush, and generally beat the **** out of to get off.