The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
SCOTI

Re: 86 C10 Trailing Arm Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW76 View Post
.... Also, I am switching to a 69 axle that is setup for leaf springs. I am curious how to locate the trailing arm perches and center the axle. My plan was to leave the leaf springs in until the last steps so that I could use them to locate everything. I believe the perches on both the 69 and my 86 axle are in the same place so I was just going to unbolt the old axle and put the new one in and locate the crossmember based on that. Sorry if any of this is unclear. Thanks for any help or contributions.
Try finding a rear housing that's ready for truck arms. While this can be done several different ways, 12-bolt 67-69 truck rears aren't commanding premium dollars in used, non-posi condition. Become a supporting member ($25/yr subcription) & post a want-to-buy ad in the 67-72 classifieds. I bet you'd get a few hits from fellow members in your area.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-23-2009 at 11:26 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:35 AM   #2
JW76

Thanks SCOTI for your response. I believe that the crossmember has to go under the frame rails. This is the way they did it at hot rods to hell. I was going to modify the ends of crossmember and make some brackets out of 1/4 steel to attach to the ends of the crossmember and the outside of the frame rails. As for shocks I am torn between air and coil overs all the way around. I want the truck to be more like a pro-touring vehicle while still being able to hit the drag strip once in a while. I am wondering what you would recommend.
JW76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:39 AM   #3
JW76

here they are...
Attached Images

JW76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW76 View Post
....I believe that the crossmember has to go under the frame rails. This is the way they did it at hot rods to hell. .....
How low are you planning to run your truck? I am assuming you want it low because you mention Pro-Touring. With the crossmember mounted under the rails your not going to be able to run as low as you would with it mounted between the rails.

The truck you pictured that HRH built is a C/20. I'm not sure what the reason was for the T/A conversion but I will guess they have no intentions of running low.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
How low are you planning to run your truck? I am assuming you want it low because you mention Pro-Touring. With the crossmember mounted under the rails your not going to be able to run as low as you would with it mounted between the rails.

The truck you pictured that HRH built is a C/20. I'm not sure what the reason was for the T/A conversion but I will guess they have no intentions of running low.
I assumed 'under the framerails' meant between the upper & lower rail, but under the lip of the rail. JW76, can you clarify?

I'm familiar w/the HTH set-up. I like it but think the price is too much considering the dimension between the frame rails of 67-87's is basically the same width thus allowing a stock or aftermarket truck arm c.member to bolt in. Their PHB set-up is nice but it requires welding. If you have that ability.... fabbing your own PHB brackets so that the bar is level @ ride height shouldn't be an issue. Ditto on the CPP kit.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-24-2009 at 01:37 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote