The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
big_c_snow

v8 swap questions

Hello all, I currently have a 1993 Olds Bravada that came with a 4.3, and a 1989 S-10 with a 2.5 and 5-speed. The Bravada is AWD, the truck is a 2wd. Now, for the questions.

I am building a 383, according to Desktop Dyno it should have 375hp and 450 lb-ft. I know that's usually not accurate, but I take what I can get. Now, I already have the engine side mounts and the headers for a 4wd. If I were so inclined, would I be able to use those for a 2wd, or do I need to get teh specific mounts and headers for a 2wd if I wanted to put it into the truck?

Also, if I did put the 383 in the truck, I would want to keep a stick. Would the NV3500 hold up to that 383? Or should I go with an automatic (which I don't want to do)?

Thanks for looking, hopefully there's some insight here.

86 FJ1200
Daily Driver
big_c_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
bigbadjohn84

Re: v8 swap questions

I wouldnt recommend any of the factory standard trans unless it's a six speed out of a camaro or something along that line. also richmond and tremmec make some nice units. unless you do not plan on playing with it at all. then that would take all the fun out of an S10 with a 383 now wouldnt it. lol
bigbadjohn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
Damien

The 4.3 hedman long tubes are the same for 2x4 and 4x4. so there is the possibility that the v8 headers are the same.

Last edited by Damien; 09-01-2009 at 12:47 PM. Reason: spell check
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
blazer72
Freedom isn't Free

the best thing for you to do is buy the swap manual and join the forum at
v8s10.com that's what I did, they have all the scenarios and sell all the parts you need. worked great.
62 chrysler imperial (hell yeah)
55 and 56 chevy hdtps
72 monte carlo
Daily Driver:
86 S-10 Blazer (drive it til I die) and 71 long fleet
Projects:
71 suburban, 72 C-30 Dually, 71 Chevy LWB
blazer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
Storm Chaser

When you say 'engine side mounts' what do you mean exactly? I assume you mean the conversion mounts that bolt right to the engine an use the truck's factory mount pads, right? There are two types of those, so if you have that kind, which do you have?

The two types are...
1. Engine conversion mounts that bolt to the engine and work with the factory 2.8 mount pads.
2. Engine conversion mounts that bolt to the engine and work with the factory 4.3 mount pads.

If yours are the 4.3 ones, I would seriously consider NOT using them, as the 4.3 mount pads weren't really even strong enough for the 4.3 engine. Use the 2.8 style if this is the type of conversion mounts you want to use, because if your engine is gonna put out the power you describe, you'll be changing those 4.3 pads... alot.

There is another type of mount also. It is pretty much just a metal plate. What you do is remove whatever mount pad is on your truck and toss them. Put the plate where the mount pad goes. Then you use regular ole 'clamshell' motor mounts like most cars in the 70's and 80's. One note here- if you go this route, use the engine side shells from a car, not a truck- the truck ones are taller and will sit the engine higher.

There are two really good sites for putting V8's in s-10 trucks...
1. s10v8.com is geared toward the first set of motor mounts I described (where you use the factory engine pads on the frame). The style of mounts they sell are the best ones to get, from a strength standpoint- way better than the ones that bolt to the block and have the ears coming off of them offset from the engine's mount point (those are more prone to sag over time). Plus theirs set the engine lower in the bay than the ones with the ears. They sell the ones for the 4.3 pads, but again, I'd go with the 2.8 pads. The advantage here is if you use this kit then the header fit is pretty much on- no cutting, denting tubes, etc. The down side is this kit seems to be problematic for long tube headers.

2.v8s10.org is geared more toward the plate style that uses V8 'clamshell' mounts (like TransDapt). If you search the site, they have a thread with the pattern to make the plates yourself. This style is known to work better with long tube headers, and also sits the engine lower into the bay. If I recall, these mounts work pretty good with the s10 headers from Hooker or Hedman. They don't seem to be as good a choice for shorties though.

I haven't researched the 4x4 mounts much, but I seem to remember that the mounts for 4x4's move the engine over to one side more and the engine don't sit as low. Whether or not they will work in a 2wd chassis, I don't know. Either way you go, do yourself a favor and fold back the lip around the tranny opening- you'll thank yourself later.
Rear disc swap & Hydroboost
Dually conversion with shackle flip-n-switch
4x4 conversion with 52" springs
Maybe some new body panels
Who needs a car when they make crew cab trucks?
Storm Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote