The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
Patriot

Question 1981 K5 Blazer build questions

I have a 1977 K5 and a 1981 K5. The 77 is completely stock with the factory 400 motor. My 81 on the other hand is going to be my trail rig. I have a few different trucks and I will be using my 79 1 Ton 4x4 for parts for the trail rig.
Now my questions:

Will my Dana 60 bolt up to my 81 without any trouble?
Will the heavy duty leaf springs from my 79s rear work for my trail rig? It has the max amount of springs because it used to be a Tow truck.
Are all SM465s the same, same gear ratio and spline count??
Will I have to use the Blazer springs and just bolt up my Dana 60 or will the truck springs work?
I know alot of you guys seem to like the Corp 14 Bolt but my donor truck is a dually and I have a Dana 60 rear posi that I can use for the trail rig. Are these not strong rear ends?? If they work for the front why not the rear??
I will NOT be an EXTREME trail rider. Just Highway and sometimes a ride through the Black Hills.

What say you fellas??

Thanks in advance fellas.

Patriot---

Last edited by Patriot; 07-27-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
dropd80s

Re: 1981 K5 Blazer build questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
Will my Dana 60 bolt up to my 81 without any trouble?
Yes
Will the heavy duty leaf springs from my 79s rear work for my trail rig? It has the max amount of springs because it used to be a Tow truck.
No they will not just bolt in the leaf springs from the one ton will be longer than whats on the K5. I believe the K5s are 52" and the one ton will have 56" springs. You can move the rear hanger back on the frame (if you have the room) but they wont just bolt in.
Are all SM465s the same, same gear ratio and spline count??
Gear ratios yes, but im not sure on the spine count, I think they have different ones. Especially 2WD to 4WD, but im not 100%.
Will I have to use the Blazer springs and just bolt up my Dana 60 or will the truck springs work?
On the front either springs will work. The spring plates will obviously be different for the 60 so make sure you keep them.
I know alot of you guys seem to like the Corp 14 Bolt but my donor truck is a dually and I have a Dana 60 rear posi that I can use for the trail rig. Are these not strong rear ends?? If they work for the front why not the rear??
I will NOT be an EXTREME trail rider. Just Highway and sometimes a ride through the Black Hills.
A lot of people use rear 60s too but they are not as strong as the fronts. depending on what the 60 came from they usually have a lot lower spline count on the axles and the shafts are smaller too. The reason a lot of people use the FF14 Bolt is they are easy to find, cheap, full lockers are cheap for them, disc brakes are cheap, and they are really strong. One option you have is running normal single wheel wheels front and rear with the DRW 60 front and dana 70 rear. This will pull your wheels out quite a bit. A lot of people do this when running H1 double bead locks as they have such a large back space on them.

What say you fellas??

Thanks in advance fellas.

Patriot---
dropd80s is offline   Reply With Quote