The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
csb#356

A couple questions

Ok so just finished rewiring my truck after it had a fire and I have a few little odds and ends to button up before I put it on the road, and I have a few questions for you experts! On the vacuum lines I was going to hook up the PCV and Air conditioning to manifold vacuum and then the vacuum advance to ported vacuum on my holley carb. Correct me if this is the wrong way. Also I noticed a small ticking noise coming from what sounds like the valve cover (I hope not) but could be an exhaust leak at the header. Info on how to adjust the rockers would be great. And is it possible to set the timing without the timing marks, I can't find them.
csb#356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

Re: A couple questions

you are correct on the vacuum lines. You can get timing tape and a piston stop to assist with your timing. It's tape with degree markings you place on the harm balancer. I found rocker adjustment methods here a couple yrs ago. Use the site search feature at the top of the page.
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
OlMech

what year is the truck, and what motor?
the harmonic balancer has a groove on it that marks TDC, it may be full of grease and dirt. the timing tab is on the timing chain covr below the water pump, depending on year/motor it is either below the water pump on the drivers side, or dead center on the timing cover under the middle of the water pump, and will take a flashlight to look down in behind it. Unhook and plug the vac line to the dist vac advance before setting the timing.
You will have to do some investigation on the tick noise, as you said, might just be an exhaust leak and tightening up the manifold bolts will fix it. if it is a lifter, you might be able to snug the rocker lock nut a bit and get rid of the noise, but usually theres a reason the rocker is getting loose
OlMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
csb#356

Thanks guys. It is a 383 (350), don't know for sure what year the engine is but its in a 77 and i don't know if its original or not. I tried to torque down the header but its still making the noise, you can just barely here it, you have to put your ear down in the engine compartement to hear it so I don't think its too serious but would like to get it taken care of. Also my starter works fine sometimes but others it'll kinda stop and go, I cleaned the connections but no help, Does this sound like maybe corroded cables.
csb#356 is offline   Reply With Quote