The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
baclay9

Can you guys check this crank out for me

I went ahead and pulled the bottom end of my 468 apart today with the help of a family friend. Wanted to have you guys check a couple f things out for me to maybe confirm some stuff.

First, it is a steel crank. I am not sure of the brand, he said it wasn't GM but I don't know. Also, everything I have read has said all 454's are externally balanced. But our family friend (who was a auto machinist for several years) is insisting this engine is internally balanced.

The crank does have places where material has beed removed (drilled out) and places that have had material welded in. Here are some pics of what I am talking about.

Here you can see where material has been drilled out toward the top of the visible lobe and where a kind of slug has been welded in toward the bottom. There is another slug welded in about the drilled out spot that you cant see in this pic.

By claypool782 at 2010-12-05

Here is a another place material has been removed

It has also had the oiler holes kindof beveled. I am guessing for better oiling? As well as being double keyed on the front.

Here is a pic of the whole thing

My question is, Has this thing been internally balanced? Thanks for any insight.
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Can you guys check this crank out for me

There has definately been mallory metal added. Its likely internally balanced. The quickest easiest way to know is to check and see if the weight is missing from the flywheel.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
baclay9

The flywheel had a weight on it and it had what appeared to be a stock harmonic balancer. I am very confused by this.

Last edited by baclay9; 12-06-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
cableguy0

Was it a running engine? If it had the weights and they shouldnt have been there the engine would literally shake like it was coming apart. If I were you I would have everything checked by a good machine shop. Have the rotating assembly balanced internally and be done with it. Its a good idea on any performance build. They last a lot longer
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
baclay9

It was a runnng engine and it ran great. No problems. It is going to the machine shop for a work over anyway. I just like to know a little bit going in so I don't have to be worried about them selling me a bunch of stuff I don't need.

Last edited by baclay9; 12-07-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

You still need to add / remove weight when you balance a externally balanced motor. The external weights are a 'fixed' item. You can't add to the scalloped harmonic damper, so balancing is still done at the crank. If you put a light weight small skirt piston , long rods in a externally balanced motor, the 'stock' crank balancing is off.

Now is this internal or external balanced motor..... them apper to be BIG slugs of mallory!!! But only one way to know. Weigh the parts up and have your machinist spin it up. Then you'll know for sure.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote