The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
Yupiamlo

Cold and Windows

Alright few issues

1. Why when its cold outside will my drivers side window not work? What makes them stop working?

2. My truck STILL won't idle in gear, I know I know I know Vacuum Leaks... there are none I promise. I did a Carb Base Gasket, EGR Gasket, and Intake Manifold Gasket, checked the trans vacuum line, The Master Cyllinder Vacuum Line, Vacuum Advance, and capped everything else off with good caps not wood screws, like I have no idea what else could be leaking and mattering this much.

2.25I have set timing to where it runs the best, and I have adjusted the carb idle mixture screws but they hardly make a difference if they are at all... their currently set at about 1.5 turns out each

2.5.The engine DOES have a cam, but I don't know the size, how big would it have to be before Id need a High Stall torque converter? If it matters I have 7-8lbs of vacuum at Idle.

3. Continuing with the whole lack of vacuum thing I have low oil pressure, this currently isnt the big concern but I dunno if somehow the oil pump doesnt work as well with low vacuum... maybe?

any help will be appreciated

Thanks,
Adam
Yupiamlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
gregg72340

Re: Cold and Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yupiamlo View Post
Alright few issues

1. Why when its cold outside will my drivers side window not work? What makes them stop working?

2. My truck STILL won't idle in gear, I know I know I know Vacuum Leaks... there are none I promise. I did a Carb Base Gasket, EGR Gasket, and Intake Manifold Gasket, checked the trans vacuum line, The Master Cyllinder Vacuum Line, Vacuum Advance, and capped everything else off with good caps not wood screws, like I have no idea what else could be leaking and mattering this much.

2.25I have set timing to where it runs the best, and I have adjusted the carb idle mixture screws but they hardly make a difference if they are at all... their currently set at about 1.5 turns out each

2.5.The engine DOES have a cam, but I don't know the size, how big would it have to be before Id need a High Stall torque converter? If it matters I have 7-8lbs of vacuum at Idle.

3. Continuing with the whole lack of vacuum thing I have low oil pressure, this currently isnt the big concern but I dunno if somehow the oil pump doesnt work as well with low vacuum... maybe?

any help will be appreciated

Thanks,
Adam
1-I'm assuming you have power windows, these motors get old and just dont like the cold you may have to replace the window motor for better performance.

2- If it wont idle and you have no vaccum leaks and the fuel pressure is good, then its probably a converter stall issue with the cam you are running, but problem being you may have to pull the cam out of the motor to figure out what cam you have so that you are not just throwing converters at the thing until you find one it likes. If at all possible talk to whoever put that cam in there to see if they have any recollection as to whats in there. Also just a thought make sure there is no excessive back pressure in the exhaust system (clogged cat)etc, that will sneak up on you and make you think its a different problem sometimes

3- Oil pressure, if its low it will drop with your idle speed. If its low at idle say 10lbs or less I would start to worry. IIRC these motors run ok and survive well with at least 20lbs of pressure, but if its low all the time it may be the motor is getting tired or pump is starting to get weak, but usually your pressure is relative to the rpm's to a point

Your Avatar picture is that on 309?
Old 12-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
Yupiamlo

Hey thanks Gregg, um yeah on the power windows so alright cool ill look into replacing them, will it make them move quicker too? Do you know where to get them... GM, LMC?

Yeah I think the motor may be getting tired, the guy I bought it from said it was rebuilt like 4000 miles ago, but it leaks some, and low oil pressure, Im running like 15psi or so crusing and it should be way higher, I think I might tune up the 305 I have sitting in the garage and toss it in, I don't wanna throw converters at a crappy motor.

Back pressure is definatley not the problem haha, its manifolds, y pipe, glass pack... loud and yeah

And na close, PA turnpike, on the way to Carlisle with my truck club, were called YUP!!!

Thanks,
-Adam
Old 12-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
gregg72340

Quote:
Hey thanks Gregg, um yeah on the power windows so alright cool ill look into replacing them, will it make them move quicker too? Do you know where to get them... GM, LMC?

Yeah I think the motor may be getting tired, the guy I bought it from said it was rebuilt like 4000 miles ago, but it leaks some, and low oil pressure, Im running like 15psi or so crusing and it should be way higher, I think I might tune up the 305 I have sitting in the garage and toss it in, I don't wanna throw converters at a crappy motor.

Back pressure is definatley not the problem haha, its manifolds, y pipe, glass pack... loud and yeah

And na close, PA turnpike, on the way to Carlisle with my truck club, were called YUP!!!

Thanks,
-Adam
I think you can pretty much get the motors anywhere even Auto Zone/Pep Boys etc just to save a few bucks but check around on the prices they are not that hard to find
Old 12-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
allengator

cams arent that pricy.... why not just change it with something mild?

1980 Chevy SWB Pickup (build thread)

1951 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71
2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide
2018 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
allengator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

Quote:

What are you monitoring oil pressure with? I would put a good mechanical gauge on it and verify exactly what kind of pressure you're seeing, because if you're truly getting only 15psi at cruise then you've got bigger problems here.......
swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #7
Yupiamlo

Just the stock gauge, but Its gotta be close because in the morning when its cold it reads 30 and as it heats up it drops down,

and I thought about swapping the stock cam I have in the 305, but if the motors weak any way I might as well just swap them, theirs not really any bs left in the truck anyway...

I have Alternator, Power Steering, Water Pump, all the vacuum bs is gone, all the AC Wiring is gone, so itd take a night and id be trouble free.

And thanks Gregg Ill go check em out