The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: cupped lower a-arm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
Strength isn't the issue the bottom of the cup is lower that thedge of the A arm so it would have to protrude...this mod has been done a ton of times and I have never heard of a failure.....
That may be true, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. When suggesting these types of mods to ones suspension components, I feel its best to advise overkill rather than taking safety concerns lightly.

Here's another option offered by member "daverod"-

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 12-27-2010 at 07:02 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
That may be true, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. When suggesting these types of mods to ones suspension components, I feel its best to advise overkill rather than taking safety concerns lightly.

Here's another option offered by member "daverod"-

thanks, i would rather sombody suggest me to do it overkill than for it to not be enough. also those a arms dont look to bad, but mine are a different style, and that opening probably wouldnt work for me.
project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
texastrendz

here is how i did mine, i did not run the "bucket" as deep as you did. Let me warn you about this design. I was running these arms and hung the truck up on a man hole cover. It did hardly any damage to the arm, but totalled the truck. Do not run your truck low, keep it at a safe ride height. I am lucky to be alive. These arms now reside in my trash pile and now have a porterbuilt dropmember.
Attached Images

texastrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrendz View Post
here is how i did mine, i did not run the "bucket" as deep as you did. Let me warn you about this design. I was running these arms and hung the truck up on a man hole cover. It did hardly any damage to the arm, but totalled the truck. Do not run your truck low, keep it at a safe ride height. I am lucky to be alive. These arms now reside in my trash pile and now have a porterbuilt dropmember.
thanks for the info, i will also not be riding to low at least for a while as i do not have compressors, tanks and valves yet, it will be ran on shraders untill i can afford it, also i would like to get a pb dropmember but that is not in the budget at this time

Last edited by project 67 sub; 02-15-2011 at 05:34 AM.
project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Ya know, if you were to slightly modify the filler pieces to also be utilized as skid plates then if you did hit something the lower arms would slide up over it rather than get hung up on it....

Again, just a suggestion.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 01-08-2011 at 07:31 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
texastrendz

well i was trying to make a couple of points. when cupping the arms it allows the truck to lay crossmember. when plating the arms like i did it made them stronger then any other part of the suspension. so when i had the truck about 3 inchs off the ground i was approaching an incline where the man hole cover was at. the a arm hung up on the rolled lip and stopped the truck. i went into the windshield. the control arm is tied to the cross shaft, the cross shaft is tied to the crossmember and the crossmember to the frame. the frame was the weakest point on the truck. bent it down about 6 inches and out about 4. it was not pretty. the dropmember is the solution because it allows you to drive it where you want it without the suspension hanging low. the a arms are going to be the lowest part of the truck without the dropmember. just be careful. still paying the hospital bill for that one.

you are going to want to drive it low, that is why you bagged it. this is why i really discourage your design. i would leave them flat like i did. but we know now that it is still not the solution to geeting these trucks low.
texastrendz is offline   Reply With Quote