The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2003, 03:29 AM   #1
PrimeredThunder
Back from the Dead

Finally got the 72' on bags....have some questions!

Ok so I finished mounting all my bags and brackets today on my 72' Short-Fleet. I must say, this truck sits a lot lower than I expected but its damn nice and I can't wait to get it finished
I ended up using AirRide Technologies front and rear brackets and Firestone 2500's in front and 2600's in back. I dont have drop spindles or a notch at this time, maybe in the future. Now when it comes to plumbing my system is where my questions come;
*As for valves I think I'm going to run 6 SMC 3/8 valves and do a 3 way system that would control the front bags individually and the rear bags together.
*I have an air tank already thats either a 5 or 6 gallon and I'm going to run a Viair 450c Compressor.

Heres my questions...

*How hard is it to mount/plumb/wire all the valves and compressor? Is it pretty straight forward or do you have to be an electrician to get it right?
*Where should I mount my valves and such?
*I plan on re-using my stock Track-bar and cutting it and welding it to the right length. How long does it need to be correct?

All help is appreciated and I will have pictures of my progress tomorrow!

Thanks,

Kenny

Salem, Oregon

Last edited by PrimeredThunder; 07-01-2003 at 04:16 AM.
PrimeredThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 04:38 AM   #2
72addict

I think the heavy bags go in the front.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:45 AM   #3
71-longbed
Its Magically Delicious

i kinda wanna come over and check out your progress and see how low it sits ..... :p

Of all my favorite things to do, The utmost is to have a brew.
My love grows for my foamy friend, with each thirst-quenching elbow bend.
Beer so frosty, smooth, and cold it's paradise pure liquid gold.
Yes beer means many things to me that's all for now cus I gotta pee.
71-longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 08:43 AM   #4
SCOTI

I run my bags w/o electric valves so I can't answer your first question. The valve solenoids & wiring can be mounted anywhere under the truck, just try & keep them out of direct water spray (a shield here is a good idea). For track bar length, you need to determine your ride height (the height you get it aligned @), then center the rear end housing w/the frame @ that height & measure the length needed for the track bar. I would cut the bar, slip a sleeve over one end, weld it back together, grind down the welds, center the sleeve over the welded area & weld the ends of the sleeve to the bar (no worries about strength).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 09:54 AM   #5
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Yep, the bigger bags go up front. I've got (4) 3-way solenoids mounted behind my seat in the cab (which gives me 4-way control). I mounted them behind the seat to keep them away from heat and the elements. Also with them behind the seat, I can easily access them and it reduces the amount of wire needed. Some people say to mount the valves as close to the bags as possible for the fastest system, but unless you're planning on hopping the thing it won't make a noticable difference.

It's not too difficult to plumb and wire the system. Just have a game plan in your head before you start. Mount all your components, then run all the wiring and air line. You'll need a relay and a pressure switch to kick on the compressor (but I assume those came with your air bag kit).
Old 07-01-2003, 10:55 AM   #6
NSANE68!!!
SLICER AND DICIER

All good stuff, but 3 way system bad. You will get bag roll in the rear and it will handle like $hit. Spend the extra $100 and get another valve setup, or run check valves and they will probably run ya $40 so you might as well BUST for the 4th valve set.
Like slammed said the rest is straight forward, but I am one that likes the valve as close to bag as possible
95 Honda 900RR
05 GMC Siearra (company truck)
NSANE68!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 10:58 AM   #7
XXL
Seņor Member

Panhard bar length isn't specific, only that it be as long as possible. The purpose of the bar is to center the rearend, and because the rear suspension travels up and down, the bar must travel on an arc to do this centering job. As a result of it traveling on an arc, it is actually "un-centering" the rearend all the time. The longer the Panhard bar, the less impact on this centering issue.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 10:16 PM   #8
Glen

The smc type valves require a slight amount of back pressure to maintain your pressure in the bag so make sure you use check valves, I run them just before the solenoid, this way if you loose tank pressure or are working on the system the bags will retain their pressure, otherwise the bag will deflate when the tank pressure is lost.
also try to use the brass filters on the exhaust of the smc valve and they will close correctly after letting off the switch. I also run a small brass ball valve on the exhaust side so the car does not fall too fast especially on the front valves, if your running larg valves it will fall fast.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote