The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2011, 03:00 AM   #1
Joeyfish

1972 GMC super custom

Okay, so I bought a running and driving 1972 GMC Super Custom 2500 truck for $500 a while back, and I have some questions.
1. The guy said that there was an oil pressure problem, but didn't know what could be causing it. The gauge says it is always high whenever I start it but I don't know if it could be a faulty gauge or just whatever. Is there any way I can check it to make sure everything is correct? It doesn't smoke, it runs pretty smooth in my opinion, but I am only 17 so what do I know. Is this something Autozone could check for me?

2. I am a teenager so of course I want a loud sound system in my truck. The gas tank is behind the seat, and I don't know if a sub woofer will fit under the seat either. Any places I could maybe put a sub or two?

3. I want to lift the truck a little bit (maybe 2 or 3 inches) and I don't have enough money for a lift kit. Any cheap ways to lift it? I am very good at improvising things to make it work, and was just wondering if there are any "ghetto" ways to lift a truck that would be free or fairly cheap.

This is my first post so I apologize ahead of time if I put this in the wrong spot or whatever. Thank you. -Joey Fish
Joeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Re: 1972 GMC super custom

ttt

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
hugger6933

The best way to check you oil pressure is with a mechanical gauge and eliminate all of the other "could be's". They can be purchased at about any parts store pretty cheap and you can insall it very easy. no autozone can't check that what they can check is late model cars with a scan tool and there is nothing on your truck to scan. Now let's talk about this"cheap"liftkit. You need to be very carefull altering what the General had many egineers design. Any alterations could effect the driving of your truck and be dangerous to both you and others.now with that being said I need to know if it is a 2 wheel drive or 4 wheels drive to figure the best way to help you. I will assume it is 2wd. coils spring spacers can be bought in a 2in and rear blocks can be as well. I would think you could by both around 50 bucks. Good luck with yor truck enjoy it and we are here to help if you need it. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
Joeyfish

Okay, I will look into the Mechanical Gauge.
And yes, my truck is 2 wheel drive. I heard of people making their own lifting blocks out of things. Is this a good idea, or are the blocks designed in a specific way? And the same question for the spring spacers.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Rear lift blocks are cheap for the rear. Does it have lift springs? If it's a 1/2t (1500) you could put 1t springs in the front. I'd get new ones since old ones could be settled. I bought 3/4t rear coils for a C/10,but it's been a while,and they weren't real expensive. It takes money to play,but I think you could do all that for under $300

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
hugger6933

Now the dad in me is gonna come out agian. You want to do this suspension mod"cheap" or free. Yet you were talking about two subs to put somewhere. Take some of the money to make the suspension and brakes right and have [gasp!] alittle less to spend on the bumping sound system. You are not alone in this you need to consider the saftey of others as well, what if your driving down the road and your cheap mod fails and slams you into a bus load of kindergardeners? you would feel kinda bad that you did'nt spend the 50 per end to raise the truck right. Or if you cheap out and have to do it agian a couple months down the road. ItWILL cost more in the long run. The truck will be much more enjoyable if you do it right. I care and that is why I'm going thru all this. A ill handling car/truck/skateboard/whatever is no fun at all. Rant off [for now] .jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:55 AM   #7
Joeyfish

You're probably right. If you're going to do something, might as well do it right the first time.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:04 AM   #8
60ratrod
yes, i do

now again, is the truck 2wd or 4wd? because there are different things that go into lifting a 2wd and a 4wd. you could do a 1" body lift using hockey pucks under the body mounting points and then get 2" suspension lift components to get you the 3" lift that you are looking for. but if you go for the body lift then you probably want to replace the body mount bushings, since after almost 40 years those things are probably rotten and at the point of falling apart. but like most have said so far, spend the extra cash on good components, so you aren't stranded on the side of the road or a hazard to others. for the oil pressure problem, get an aftermarket mechanical gauge. they run about $20 and there is 3 places where you can install it. theres a port on the back of the block by the distributor where almost everyone installs them and where the factory installed them. the next port is on the front of the block, between the intake manifold and the timing cover, about 4" from the center of the block on the driver's side. it should have a square headed pipe plug in it. and last there is a port on the driver's side of the block down by the oil filter. this is where gm installed oil pressure sensors on the later model efi vehicles. and the stock gauge should be a mechanical oil pressure gauge

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
-07 gmt900 silverado 1500 lt xcab z71, granite blue
-81 suzuki gs650g "shelah"- current project
-81 kz1000m1 csr "sarge" -next project (just beautification)
-07 kawasaki vulcan classic vn900
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:32 AM   #9
MistaGavin

You might just have thick oil in it. Try changing the oil with a lighter weight oil than it has in it before you mess with a new gauge.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:38 AM   #10
70chevyolbetty

Sound cool or look and ride cool? I'd do the look and ride.
Posted via Mobile Device
70chevyolbetty is offline   Reply With Quote