The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
bw4sale

Ipod connection/stock stereo

My '98 has the am/fm cassette head unit with the slave cd player that mounts in the slot below the heat/air controls. The cd player stopped working so I was wondering if it would be possible to somehow use the input of the slave cd player on the head unit as an iPod/iPhone connection. Or should I just forget the stock stuff and buy a nice aftermarket unit with connections built in?

-'68 Stepside Project
-'98 Z71 Daily Driver
-Enough extra parts to build another truck and a half
bw4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
Redcap

Re: Ipod connection/stock stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw4sale View Post
Or should I just forget the stock stuff and buy a nice aftermarket unit with connections built in?
Easiest way, in my opinion.
Redcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
TimQ

Re: Ipod connection/stock stereo

Not familiar with the specifics of your particular stereo setup, but you should be able to do it. It just takes some sleuthing on the connection between the old CD unit and the head unit. I have an old stereo out of a Toyota that I am repurposing for another project. The CD was connected to the head unit via a 13-pin DIN connector. I was able to map out the individual wires and connect them to a standard jack that can go into an iPhone. Neat thing is the DIN connector has power as well. So you could also set it up to use a standard Apple cable on the iPod end so you could power/charge the iPod.

If your unit uses a 13 pin DIN, here's some info that: http://miata.net/garage/audio.html

Just be sure to test with a multimeter that yours follows the same scematic else you risk burning stuff out.

If you search the site instructables.com you will find a few projects taking various approaches to your same problem.

Good luck.
TimQ is offline   Reply With Quote