The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Thanks for the input Alan... so a 2bolt main does not automatically = small block?
And a 4bolt main not = big block?

Sorry for such noob questions, but I wonder about these things....
You can get a 2 or 4 bolt small or big block. clear as mud
Posted via Mobile Device
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:58 AM   #2
McMurphy

Ok this weekend suffered from late starts and lack of get it started. But some progress none the less.

Lifted out the center of the bed, good thing I read these boards and saw where chevy_man5 had notched the top of the carriage bolts with a cutting disk, that little tid bit helped with most of the stubborn ones. There were still 2 that I just had to cut out of there.

Got the new fuel tank lifted up into place for a mock up look-see and got the measurements I will need for the straps. Took out the overly complicated sending unit and am modding my original one to fit, more to follow on that.
That was yesterday.

Today I took my spare guage cluster apart and rolled back the odo on it. Going to fart around with that the rest of this week. Fun stuff. It isnt that the original builds or designs were "bad" but it is tons of fun to think, "What can I do to make this better..." or "How would I have done this, or how would I like it like this..."

I am sooooo going to rob some of you all's ideas.
Hopefully I will remember who I am stealing ideas from so I can give you credit in this history thread.

Pic #1 is the fuel tank mock up.
#2 is my guage cluster apart and odometer rolled back
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1

Last edited by McMurphy; 10-31-2011 at 03:03 AM. Reason: re load photos
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
McMurphy

Hello all,
It was a busy weekend for my truck.

Saturday got the camper, wheel wells, and the bed off the truck. Sadly I had to cut some bolts, and one of the steps is still connected to the wheel well because of a naughty bolt that was more stubborn than me at the time.

Sunday got going on cleaning the frame, fuel tank, and the tow hitch. Cleaned and painted.
Yesterday I had to plow some snow when I got home and the ATV wanted to be a slug so I had to stubborn it into life. An ATV with a snow plow is a hoot, and probably the most fun I have ever had pushing snow around ~chuckles~
Today I started with a minor mock up of the tank and hitch to see where I would be standing with them.

Is nice to think I am getting to a point where I can start putting things back together too...

Pic #1 is the general mock up
#2 is a closer shot
#3 is a close up of the d-side corner, this shows my frame to be about 3.75 inches too short to complete the hitch mounting. The ideas I am kicking around is adding 4" of frame straight off the back end ~or~ some sort of stiffner that runs the full length of the hitch mounting inside the channel of the frame which would be bolted in using the tank mounting strap bolts as well as the hitch mounting bolts. (This solution would be easiest I think, though I fear not the best or strongest) A donor frame would be ideal I think for the metal alone....
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 11-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
McMurphy

After work today I am going to look at a 84 Camaro Z28 that was parted out (no engine/tranny).
I will be looking particularly at the steering gear box, and brake system. The question I have at this time is if anyone knows if I can just swap out the front cross/steering member. I am curious to see if that can or will bolt up and save me the trouble of drop spindles and all that.

Dude only wants $300 for this rolling Z28 husk, so I am hoping there will be many a part and piece I can cannibalize for my truck.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest