The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2012, 03:07 AM   #1
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: Will shackle flip affect towing capacity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'm sure those who run shackle flips will say no problem.Personally,that's what I don't like about them. They are great for a trail rig,but for a truck that works I would never use them. I feel that by design they are just not good for a lot of stress from weight. Why do you think trucks are built the way they are? The leverage is multiplied many times and I'm just not putting that much faith in not only the long bracket arm extending below the frame,but then the shackle itself off of that. Where you want articulation you're not going 70 mph with a thousand or more pounds in the bed and cornering...let alone a loaded trailer. To me shackle flips are only for play toys.
If this were true, medium duty trucks leaf spring suspensions would be designed this way. But they're not. They're set up with the shackle under a mount, then the leaf spring. Just like a shackle flip. I haul with a shackle flip on my F-350 all the time and I'm going to bet it's more weight than 90% of the people on this truck board haul. On and off road, and these have been on there for 60,000 miles. 40,000 of those have had a heavy load on the truck or in it. We're talking a hay trailer with 6-8 round bales and a trailer that weighs 5500lbs empty. And this truck is lifted roughly 4" and has 33's. It weighs 7400lbs with a 1/4 tank of fuel and no fat guy in it. I also have sway bars front and rear, so she handles pretty well with a trailer on. I wouldn't be worried with a shackle flip and a small lift to tow.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
If this were true, medium duty trucks leaf spring suspensions would be designed this way. But they're not. They're set up with the shackle under a mount, then the leaf spring. Just like a shackle flip. I haul with a shackle flip on my F-350 all the time and I'm going to bet it's more weight than 90% of the people on this truck board haul. On and off road, and these have been on there for 60,000 miles. 40,000 of those have had a heavy load on the truck or in it. We're talking a hay trailer with 6-8 round bales and a trailer that weighs 5500lbs empty. And this truck is lifted roughly 4" and has 33's. It weighs 7400lbs with a 1/4 tank of fuel and no fat guy in it. I also have sway bars front and rear, so she handles pretty well with a trailer on. I wouldn't be worried with a shackle flip and a small lift to tow.
Like I said,others will say they don't effect towing. I'm just saying I wouldn't. I just don't like the idea. Let me ask this,why do people do shackle flips? For off road they give better articulation and smoother ride. Well,where all that matters I won't be towing or hauling a heavy load,most likely. A heavy load smooths out a ride,right? That takes care of the ride. Articulation? I'm not towing anything where that matters and I sure think anyone who does will be putting those flip brackets to the test. That's just my opinion and how I would build something for towing. I generally build trucks for specific uses...fun play toys or work trucks,because I need my work truck to make a living. I can't break it up over the weekend,so that's where I'm coming from.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:02 AM   #3
86ktwenty

Quote:
Thanks, i wasn't planning on going any higher than 4" inches and a set of 285/75r16 (load range D) tires. Probably won't see much hay, just the occasional gooseneck with a car or the mud truck on it.
1983 GMC K3500
1974 Chevy Cheyenne Super 20 4x4
86ktwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:06 AM   #4
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86ktwenty View Post
Thanks, i wasn't planning on going any higher than 4" inches and a set of 285/75r16 (load range D) tires. Probably won't see much hay, just the occasional gooseneck with a car or the mud truck on it.
Another great thing about going with a shackle flip is you can ditch your lift block that most 4x4 trucks have in the rear suspension. They can and do break if you actually tow heavy and actually have power. Ask me how I know.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:47 AM   #5
joe231

Quote:
Another great thing about going with a shackle flip is you can ditch your lift block that most 4x4 trucks have in the rear suspension. They can and do break if you actually tow heavy and actually have power. Ask me how I know.

Not to mention block induced axle wrap...
Posted via Mobile Device