The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
earlthegoat2

Spectre to Hurst Shifter for my 3 Speed

Well, I have been posting about my hatred for the shifter in my truck since I got it so this morning I took the Hurst Syncro/Loc I got on eBay and adapted it to the Spectre universal shift linkage that was existing on my Muncie 3 speed.

I had to drill 2 new holes and I welded a few of the holes around the new ones I drilled to keep some strength and Abracadabra I can actually shift my truck reliably now. However, the Hurst unit is a little worn so it is not like a nice Muncie 4 speed in a 69 Z28 however it is much more predictable than the universal so I can make the shifts the first time, every time.

I was going to do a FAQ on it but like always I forgot my camera.

It should be known this is by no means an ideal swap. My truck has some Chester van bucket seats and the Syncro/Loc was designed for a car and the shifter stick itself is integral to the unit so you cannot change sticks short of hacking and slashing. So in this instance it worked. The price was right on the shifter so I bought it. However, I can sit upright in my seat and shift gears still remaining upright even though the stick is quite short. About 3-4 inches shorter than the craptastic Spectre stick.

I would say this would be a good compromise if someone is looking to do a floor shifter conversion or to upgrade that universal shifter they have been fighting with for years. Find a nice used Hurst or ITM shifter for a 3 speed and use the directions from Hurst to set it up but with the universal shift linkage.